Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im in the market for Liter bike and started researching not too long ago. Basically i want a bare bones light power house, and most importantly RELIABLE without mechanical issues or known problems. im not brand loyal so open to all suggestions.

I spoke to a knowledgeable guy from a local tuning place nearby. Originally i was looking at a 2011 zx10r, but he told me to stay away from those bikes. He said the 4th gen kawis are cheap bikes with issues. (clutch, tranny and top end issues)

he did however praise the GSXR saying they were light,fast and reliable. He said the 07/08 were very basic easy to work on reliable machines that can take a beating. He also said the 09-16's were good but a bit more bulky.

Anyway, what year bike would you guys recommend? ill even go back to the 05 06 if there worth it...but kinda getting old now?

anyway thanks for any advice! cheers.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Go with whichever bike you like the best. I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of the Japanese liter bikes. They all may have an issue or 2 maybe, but you are going to end up customizing the bike your way and learning about the bike. You will fix the issues if they even bother you.

I always liked the left and right exhaust on the gsxr 1000 from 2008... not sure what years they did that.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Can I ask what your riding background is?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everywhere you go you get a guy like this lol.

Anyway I've been riding 20 years. Started on a cb550 when I was 15. Spent some time on a 08 cbr1000rr. Currently own a 2008 Kawasaki concours c14. Ya know the one with a zx14 motor? :p

Anyway I'm aware of the type of monster the liter bikes are.

I've found an 08 gsxr 1000 in my local area for about 4200$ USD equivalent. It has about 18k miles.

Anything to know about the 08s? TIA

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Everywhere you go you get a guy like this lol.

Anyway I've been riding 20 years. Started on a cb550 when I was 15. Spent some time on a 08 cbr1000rr. Currently own a 2008 Kawasaki concours c14. Ya know the one with a zx14 motor? :p

Anyway I'm aware of the type of monster the liter bikes are.

I've found an 08 gsxr 1000 in my local area for about 4200$ USD equivalent. It has about 18k miles.

Anything to know about the 08s? TIA
Get a guy like what? Riding background not only allows us to weed out new(er) riders who shouldn't be on a 1000cc bike, but also allows us to know what bike to recommend.

The K5/K6 is the best 1000cc bike Suzuki ever made, no question about it.

The L7 is a great bike from what I am hearing.

The K7-L6 are varying shades of decent.

Honestly, I would get a 2016 ZX-10R if I were in the market for a new literbike and couldn't find a K5/K6.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Honestly, I would get a 2016 ZX-10R if I were in the market for a new literbike and couldn't find a K5/K6.
The Gen5 ZX10 with exhaust and flash is hard to compete with when you consider everything standard on it. When I bought my L7 I wanted something different and comparable to the Gen5. I looked at R1s but everything I read said harsh for the street.

I have a Gen4 ZX10 and I am very happy with it. Anything used and IDK why you wouldn't consider it. (If price is not an issue)

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
sorry , not about the riding history...it was about the little pony guy.
In his defense we get a lot of new riders come here and ask which 1000 they should get because they have a fast car, or they rode dirt bikes when they were 4, or they will "respect the bike" or whatever lame excuse they can come up wih as justification.

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
871 Posts
The little pony guy

I'm just jelous I'm not out shopping for a new 1000..
I'm sure you road the shit out of that little pony.

Enjoy the new bike!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,990 Posts
Hard to go wrong with any of them nowadays. Even that '11 10R model that guy told you to stay away from. :wacko

On a side note though there are days when I'd love to own a Concourse 14 in addition to my "bare bones light powerhouse." :D

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,860 Posts
I mean, K3/K4 is obviously the best looking. I've owned 3 of these and never had 1 motor / tranny issue.
If by best looking you mean not the best looking. In fact, it's one of the ugliest, especially with those sweet turn signals or flush-mount turn signals.

·
Banned
103 Posts
we'll just have to disagree on that one. As soon as the 05 came out, I couldn't believe how dumb it looked. All bulbous and dual giant exhausts? lol

What do the turn signals have to do with it? The 05 has those dorky mirrors with them instead.

You can't beat a classic and the 03/04 is that. The 05 and up are just weird and lame. Maybe it appeals to younger crowds. Don't get me wrong, I'd def own a K5 if something happened to mine. But it doesn't look as good. The weak opposing curves just don't do it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
To be honest with ya, if all you care about is numbers, you can get a k1-k4 relatively cheap and dump the money you save into the motor, and have a 200 hp sleeper. I have a 200 hp 02 that I have about 3 grand into including the price of the bike. :cheers

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
As soon as the 05 came out, I couldn't believe how dumb it looked. All bulbous and dual giant exhausts? lol
K5/6 1000 does not have dual exhaust....

·
Super Moderator
14,990 Posts
Bulbous. :nono The K5 model was especially touted for its smaller stature and feels like a mini bike compared to the K3/K4. Have you ever ridden both? In fact, larger riders typically prefer the larger feel of the K1-k4 bikes.

Personally I like all models K1-K6. Felt like the 1000 lost something after that.

Besides...the exhaust can be changed. :phhht

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
I have a 200 hp 02 that I have about 3 grand into including the price of the bike. :cheers
That purchase was the deal of the century,still shakin my head in disbelief :hammer

Lucky bastid! :thumbup

1 - 20 of 41 Posts