Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not the blinker fluid...LP blinkers don\'t blink

I could just flail my arms at turns like a Hardley dirtbag...but I'd like them to work.

So they're attached and wired...and the bulbs do light up.

but they don't "blink". They're two wire lights...I was thinking they might need a ground...but if they did need a ground they wouldn't be lighting up at all....

I'm cornfused.

WTF did I miss?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Its not the blinker fluid...LP blinkers don\'t blink

My bike has to be running for them to flash.

Also the front and rear signals all have to be connected or you wont get any flash.

I added an electronic flasher relay (about $12 at the auto parts store) to get a steady flash (not a fast flash)

-Dave

·
Registered
176 Posts

You might check and see that you didn't accidently let all the smoke out of your electrical system. When it's out of smoke, they don't work.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
I could just flail my arms at turns like a Hardley dirtbag...but I'd like them to work.

So they're attached and wired...and the bulbs do light up.

but they don't "blink". They're two wire lights...I was thinking they might need a ground...but if they did need a ground they wouldn't be lighting up at all....

I'm cornfused.

WTF did I miss?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The turn signals are not drawing enough current to cause the relay to turn off and on. These relays are designed not to flash if the current draw is too low to warn you of blown bulbs. First make sure that your battery is fully charged. If this still doesn't solve the problem you have a couple of choices.

1. Get a new turn signal relay from an auto parts house that will flash regardless of the current draw/blown bulbs.
2. Find out what the resistance of the stock turn signals are and wire a resistor in parallel to the LP turn signals to bring the resistance close to the stock numbers. You have to make sure that the resistor you use can handle the wattage.

I would go with option 1 because it's simple and only costs a couple of bucks.

Hope this helps.
Yancy

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I stopped by an auto parts place today and they only had these little turn signal items that were about the size of a quarter with two connectors. The parts guy told me they have a switch inside that when it gets "hot enough" it trips the ciruit and then you get a "blink"...seems like some sort of a fuse that resets itself to me. It was only $2.99...If it's the item you're describing I'll get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

This is why I took my blinkers off, they can be a pain in the ass.
Also the front and rear signals all have to be connected or you wont get any flash.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is where I use to always have problems. I would always forget.

·
Registered
316 Posts

posted by Simon Orttan:
I stopped by an auto parts place today and they only had these little turn signal items that were about the size of a quarter with two connectors. The parts guy told me they have a switch inside that when it gets "hot enough" it trips the ciruit and then you get a "blink"...seems like some sort of a fuse that resets itself to me. It was only $2.99...If it's the item you're describing I'll get it tomorrow.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Similar to that but more expensive! About $12. It should be black or clear plastic on the outside and a little taller than the basic flasher you described. The electronic flasher I'm talking about will flash regardless of load. People with trailers with alot of lights use them in their tow vehicle so maybe try a trailer supply if you cant find it at an auto supply. I bought mine at pep boys.

-Dave

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

I have the same problem as I have LED's frount and rear. I finally went to a flasher unit that has three wires. Libertech makes one as well for 35.00. I know this sounds high but they are solid state and should last many years. I got mine from
http://www.hotronicsproducts.com/lighting.htm
Bones

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Don't mean to be a smartass but that is called a bimetal strip. The way this works is that a strip of 2 different metals, usually one of made of copper and one of spring steel are joined together. When a current passes through this it heats up and the copper expands more than the spring steel thus causing it to bend and to break contact. As no more current is flowing this strip cools down and the spring steel brings it back to its original position and the process is repeated. If the Battery is half dead there would not be enough current to heat the bimetal strip sufficiently. And now for our next science lesson......

·
Registered
102 Posts

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You could always pretend you're back in Texas and not worry about your turn signals.

·
Registered
77 Posts

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You need to get the electronic flasher as mentioned by OilCooler92. The one that you described here won't work because your turn signals are not drawing enough current for it to get "hot enough". Sorry I got the prices mixed up.

Yancy

·
YAAFM Mod
3,016 Posts

Are you sure its not the blinker fluid?
Bones

·
Registered
2,491 Posts

Simon, I have a quart of Ohlins blinker fluid for sale, 15.99 plus shipping, this is a good deal, you know how hard it is to find ohlins blinker fluid...

G

·
0 Posts

Simon...did you get it fixed?...

im curious to know whether i need to top my blinker fluid up also

j/k...how did it go?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Originally posted by Nolz:
Simon...did you get it fixed?...

im curious to know whether i need to top my blinker fluid up also

j/k...how did it go?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll go halvsies on the ohlins fluid...I need 52.3 litres of it for my electrical system...at least for a total electron flush.

I stopped by two auto parts places today...one had no clue...the other did.

They were hip to the whole current problem but they said they see it in the reverse...a trailer adds so much draw that the blinkers look like an old timing light (i still have one too)...anyway, they thought the basic one would work but they ordered the electronic one too...I picked up the basic one for $1.60 to give it a try...it worked, sort of...all the lights blinked. Headlights and tail light too.
so i'll be returning it in the morning ahd getting the other one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts