Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im curious, why would a aluminum slider be self defeating? As in it wont grind down like a delrin one and could snag and cause the bike to tumble? It is my belief that you would have to crash the same bike in the same way with both a delrin slider and the exact slider made in aluminum to make that arguement. Hopefully, I won't conduct any first hand research into this matter, but I will let you know for sure if I do.

·
Premium Member
18,689 Posts
they also catch and flip the bike vs delrin that rubs off and is made to grind down as it takes abuse...or even snap off it something hits is VERY hard. something hits metal hard enough it's going to pull on the frame, or send all the force to the frame...etc

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are valid points, but when the delrin is grinding down and or absorbing force its going to grind your plastics as well as everything else. Due to the length and mounting of the rail it will distribute the force across the frame and you shouldnt have frame damage. Seeing that 25 people or so bought them during the group buy I am sure we wont have to wait long for some results.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Brianinms said:
Those are valid points, but when the delrin is grinding down and or absorbing force its going to grind your plastics as well as everything else. Do to the length and mounting of the rail it will distribute the force across the frame and you shouldnt have frame damage. Seeing that 25 people or so bought them during the group buy I am sure we wont have to wait long for some results.
I have the motovation no-cut sliders I had the unpleasant opportunity to test em out a few weeks ago they worked like a champ not a scratch on the plastics or any frame damage.:cheers

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats always good when products work like they are suppose to. I guess my main point was how can anybody predict that the outcome wouldnt have been the same if you had the rails instead. The answer is that they can't, because no 2 crashes are the same. I would have prolly went with the Motovation no cuts had there not been a group buy. Time will tell how they hold up to the streets.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it just boils down to a matter of personal preference. Has there actually been any real world testing of the different types of sliders? I have searched through the forums and I see good and bad about every different slider made. Perhaps we can pool some information together for some accurate analysis of the protection different products actually provide.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Blakester said:
If you want your bike to look like a "stunter" than throw those railz on there. As for me I will stick with my shoguns...:D
I can't even pop a wheelie. But since I have the railz installed, I guess its: "STUNTER'S RULE AND THOSE WITH SLIDERS DROOL"...LOL:lol

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
i would imagine just by through physics that because the metal is more of a solid substance than the delrin, it doesn't have any give, but instead it transfers energy instead of absorb and then destroy itself. Take in point crumple zones on cars. Those points absorb energy so that less actually get to what matters; you in the car. Another case in point, are helmets. They're obviously not made out of metal, but instead, just basically some crazy styrofoam. I'm not saying that styrofoam is what makes our helmets but the example of just because its stronger does not mean you're safer.

·
Registered
707 Posts
haha i learned that stuff in college physics a couple quarters ago. i have been in the market for some new sliders and i think i just convinced myself on what to get. haha motovation sliders it is for me.

·
Mama Bear
17,836 Posts
MotoMummy said:
they also catch and flip the bike vs delrin that rubs off and is made to grind down as it takes abuse...or even snap off it something hits is VERY hard. something hits metal hard enough it's going to pull on the frame, or send all the force to the frame...etc
:cheers Hey Corey! :D

I still need to take pics for you guys....I need a photographer...was thinking of some "racey" pics.

But anyways...yeah...the whole purpose of the frame slider is for it to grind down WITHOUT causing more damage to the bike. So you don't want to low side a bike, have a slider grab and cause the bike to flip right into a highside...hence...self defeating.

·
Mama Bear
17,836 Posts
Brianinms said:
Those are valid points, but when the delrin is grinding down and or absorbing force its going to grind your plastics as well as everything else. .
I hope you can see how this statement makes absolutely not a bit of fucking sense man :wtf

Now the rails seem like a good idea...an improvement to them would be a removable delrin outer rail or something. But as for JUST frame sliders...delrin.

Okay...KNEE PUCKS...they're made to grind down...that's the idea, same with frame sliders.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Grandevil said:
I hope you can see how this statement makes absolutely not a bit of fucking sense man :wtf

Now the rails seem like a good idea...an improvement to them would be a removable delrin outer rail or something. But as for JUST frame sliders...delrin.

Okay...KNEE PUCKS...they're made to grind down...that's the idea, same with frame sliders.

I don't think people understand that if it grinds down the slider enough to start grinding down the plastics, that basically you are just trying to save your frame at that point.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.