Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a heads up. Our Commander and Chief is proposing another measure to regulate my industry. I'm a gunmaker of almost 20 years and business owner for almost 8.

The ITAR is in a nutshell an agreement between a list of countries designed to keep guns and sensitive items out of the hands of nefarious peoples. Basically the kind of douchebags who drive trucks through crowds, fly airplanes into buildings, and go on a shooting spree inside gay night clubs.

Prior to July, this agreement was basically restricted to anyone who manufactured certain items and attempted to ship them outside CONUS. That is now on the verge of undergoing a radical change. If passed, the new rulings will make anyone engaged in firearms repair subject to this treaty. Being "in the club" carries an annual fee of right around $2300 bucks.

It is literally this ridiculous:

Bob has a rifle and decides he wants to put a recoil pad on it that is more forgiving. He goes to "Fred's Gun Shop" and has the service performed. "Fred" faces up to a 20 year jail sentence and felony conviction if he accepts the job without the ITAR registration. It's regardless of the fact that he and Bob live in Nebraska and have no intention or interest in shipping the gun to Yemen as a Christmas donation to ISIS.

Here is where it becomes even more bizarre. I have a Federal Firearms License. I've held both a Type 7 and Type 1. Type 7 is related to manufacturing. Type 1 allows you to operate as a dealer and/or repair.
This license is issued by the BATFE which is a part of the US Department of Justice. That is the oversight/governing authority that I am ultimately subject to. What this basically means: If I go off the deep end and start peddling guns out the back door as part of a Spring Bonanza sale to Domestic Violence Offenders, when I get caught, it'll be the USDOJ that peels me like an onion.

The ITAR is managed/enforced by the US Department of State. An agency whose legacy and charter is to win "hearts and minds" and spread good ol American value and good cheer. I have worked for the US Dept of State as a Security Contractor. It's a joke with our wasted tax dollars being the punch line.

Anyway. Here's the deal:

The BATF says plainly that I am well within my rights as a Type 1 FFL to operate my business as I have for the last 7.5 years. The DoS is now proposing (if this legislature passes) that I am now a FELON if I do not register and pay the $2000+ dollars.

Big conflict here between government agencies.

I'm not whining. I'm irked by the principle of it. $2300 bucks a year isn't a big deal for my business. We are in the process of ITAR registration anyway as I've had inquiries about shipping some of my products to Canada, the UK, NZ, and Australia. It pencils out for me to do it.

Where this really sucks is ultimately for you folks who retain services by a local, cottage level gunshop. -The guy who runs a shop on his property building/servicing guns for locals, etc. He may very well say to hell with all of it due to the fees and added headaches associated with Uncle Sugar's Paper Machine.

My purpose for putting this out there is simple: I encourage anyone reading this to take everything I say with a grain of salt. Conduct your OWN research, draw your OWN conclusion as to whether or not its bullshit, and if you feel compelled to do so, write your elected officials a scathing letter explaining how absurd this is and how its fundamentally wrong on a number of levels.

Good shooting.

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker
LongRifles, Inc.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Still another reason to try and put Trump in the POTUS.

Have you heard on the 4 more people that mysteriously have been shot, ended up dead- coincidentally- all 4 were turning in evidence against the Clintons.
How could anyone vote for this criminal?

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts

·
Banned
3,858 Posts
The Democrats are big time trying to take your guns away. They want fascist control of the population and don't want to be held accountable by the population.

If you believe in your constitution you would have to be an idiot to vote Democrat.

Here is a YT clip that will show you that gun crime will escalate out of control if the Democraps get their way.

pELwCqz2JfE&sns

1 - 5 of 5 Posts