Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yeah yeah i know, i didnt do it on purpose i know, so dont even trip, it was 730am and nobuddy in sight.

nothing big, but I dragged my knee on a long sweaping right turn, didnt think about it, it just tuched down, scared the shit out of me, :eek:hmy i brougt my knee back up, then the next turn, i did it again, and again, lol i could feel the bikes lean, could adjust acordingly, wow. the one time i glanced my exit speed was about 80
i got some nice pics, i will post them later when i get them from my buddys digi cam.

thats all,
:punk

and i love my 600
:flipoff
Tire Helmet Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Bicycle tire

more to come later
a small vid
no knee dragging here tho:scratch
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1388343613

in the vid its me Yoshi TRC, second bike is a SV 650 Stock 3rd bike is my other buddy in his k6 750 with a 2 bros pipe, .

·
Constantly in trouble now
16,403 Posts
I'm no expert, but it seems like you're draggin' pretty hard there. Aren't you just supposed to use your knee to guage how far you're leaned over? Your puck looks like it got ground down pretty fast.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
um idk,:scratch thats what i was doing using it as a gauge to how far im leaned over, it was just sliding acrros the top, that what it looks like affter o um, i think 8 times tuching down, a feww times i let it just sit there as i held the turn,
only thing is twice it got warm, is that suposed to happen?:scratch

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Booenson said:
Friction causes heat ;)
i know that, but i mean is it supose to get so warm i can feel it on my skin? the other times i just taped it down it didnt get warm to were i could feel it. only on a long sweaping turn,:scratch

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
toy_spd said:
from your experience ur recomending this right? also adds HP:biggrin
Depends, are we still talking about bikes?

Heh, at any rate, grats on the knee dragging, but jeez you seem to have ground into those knee pucks quite a bit! Oh well, maybe if I ever get there (ha, fat chance of that, I have to learn how to keep the bike up first :p ) it'll seem right!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
the a star pucks seem kinda soft, so they do go down pretty quick. congrats on getting your knee down. 10-12 hump power gained from ky? i really should try that. i wonder if her ass dyno is accurate?

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
congrats, it does like u hit that puck pretty hard. don't have A stars pucks so can't comment on that one but my joe rockets, never feel heat. maybe cuz ur forcin ur knee to hit the ground as opposed to jsut lettin it touch so u know how low u are

·
Banned
3,512 Posts
Avplayer said:
congrats, it does like u hit that puck pretty hard. don't have A stars pucks so can't comment on that one but my joe rockets, never feel heat. maybe cuz ur forcin ur knee to hit the ground as opposed to jsut lettin it touch so u know how low u are
I'd venture to assume that's an accurate assumption. :punk

·
Premium Member
117,182 Posts
Congrats, now stop reaching for it. You notice you are only hitting on the bottom edge of the puck, cause you are reaching for the ground. When you are hitting race leans it will hit flat. Dont know how hard or soft A* pucks are, but if it got hot I would think you had it planted pretty hard. I use VERY hard pucks, and they never get hot, and last a LOOONNGGg time.

·
Premium Member
6,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You Guys are awsome, thanks for the advice!! my buddys camera sucked but he got 1 good sequence, Asphalt Mode of transport Line Road

what else can you guys tell me from this pic?

by reaching for it, u mean sticking outmy knee?? i looked at few other rider at the look out point and some had the same wear on their pucks as me, and there were a few thatwere flat like moto_joe mentioned.

:cheers

·
Registered
511 Posts
congrats man. Depending on how tall you are (seem like you got long legs in the vid), dragging a knee isn't that hard. If your short, you have to lean over a lot more just to have it touch.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
toy_spd said:
You Guys are awsome, thanks for the advice!! my buddys camera sucked but he got 1 good sequence, View attachment 26555
what else can you guys tell me from this pic?

by reaching for it, u mean sticking outmy knee?? i looked at few other rider at the look out point and some had the same wear on their pucks as me, and there were a few thatwere flat like moto_joe mentioned.

:cheers

He means that from the look of the puck (it seems like alot of material was scraped off in the one corner) like you were reaching out for the ground with your knee and pressing it into the ground more than necessary in that one spot that reached the ground.

Your knee shouldn't act as a tripod and third point of contact to hold up the bike with (unless you are very skilled and the bike is falling and you can sometimes catch yourself on that knee and save a crash). The idea is to just let that inside knee fall under it's own weight and let it glide as a feel to where the ground is, not drive your knee out solidly and reaching for the ground.

For example, check out this image, look at Gibernau and Edwards here, notice how far they are leaned over yet they still don't have a knee down, note the angle at which their knees are extended. Granted they have alot more tire to use than you or I, but the point is that knee is only there to glide over the ground as a feeler

Now look at this picture. Guy is at a much less steep lean angle, using bad form I might add with his body too upright but has his knee cocked way far out there trying to reach the ground with it.

But, you're also on the street, which isn't the place to be practicing this anyway. So bottom line what do we learn. If you are just dragging a knee for the sake of saying, hey look I dragged I knee, then so be it. If you want to learn good form and proper racing/riding technique then it's most likely that you aren't going fast enough on the street to really need to be doing it ;)

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Moto_Joe said:
Congrats, now stop reaching for it. You notice you are only hitting on the bottom edge of the puck, cause you are reaching for the ground. When you are hitting race leans it will hit flat. Dont know how hard or soft A* pucks are, but if it got hot I would think you had it planted pretty hard. I use VERY hard pucks, and they never get hot, and last a LOOONNGGg time.
If those are the Track Pants, then yes, the wear seems to be in the wrong spot.
Are they the track pants? Or from some kind of suit?
Its interesting that the location of the scrape was brought up. For some reason, that seems to be the only place on the puck that will ever touch the ground on my Race Replica suit. Had nice, even wear on the puck on the Track Pants, but on the suit, only one corner gets ground down. :scratch I've even tried repositioning the puck all over the velcro patch on the knee, and still it refuses to scrape flat. :wtf I've seen track day pictures from numerous riders who have the same exact suit and I see the same scenario on their knees in the pictures. Could be something to do with the way the suit fits?:confused
And that much wear is very common on Astars pucks. One little "scim" makes the Astars look nearly that bad. :mad

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.