Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to buy an older bike to fix up into a track bike. I found a 97 gsxr 600 with 14k miles on it. It hasn't ran for like 9months and the guy said its leaking oil because the oil pan was installed inproperly. He has a custom paint job on the originaly plastics and also has some airtech..? race plastics. he said the valves might need adjusted and carbs cleaned. But he is going to sell it for 1500$. What do you think? If it runs, is that a steal or what?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Say it runs smoothly but doesn't look the greatest, whats a modest market value for the bike?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
As long as the frame,wheels and suspension are all good you can replace the motor for $800-$1000 for a used one. About the same for a complete plastic set on ebay or somewhere. So for $2000 on top of $1500 you have a bike worth about $4500 and you're ahead. I like projects like this you can build it exactly how you want.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i have about the same deal that i will buy. it is a 97 gsxr 600 that is all setup for racing already. sharkskinz, vortex clipons, steering dampner, ohlins rear and front forks reworked for racing ohh yea all safety wired also. the only problem it has a blown engine but the guy has a spare engine that he bought before the one he had in expired. he is asking 1750 so that means i will be a proud gsxr owner and my zx6r will become my track/street bike. i will try to switch out engines myself and then take it to the shop to have it checked or tuned if needed. i cant wait to get it i am ready for the track just need spring to get here.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Great "trackbike" or starter race bike.

But as a "racebike" too slow these days sad to day. I mean you can do good on it, but you will get beat by guys that you out ride just because they have 20 more hp than you. (I dealt with it for a year and will this year on my 00)

·
Registered
328 Posts
i would not mind if i get beat because this would be my track day bike. not sure if i will race, but if i do it would be the cra race at midamerica motorplex. i went to the track 3 times this year and i plan on going every wednesday this next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts