Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 GSXR 750
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 1996 GSXR 750. One of the previous owners have removed the side stand switch. The relay is still there and the wiring that plugs into the relay is bundled with other wiring and a bunch of electrical tape. The wiring is messy and difficult to follow but presumably the previous owner has bypassed or jumpered the switch.

I've read many posts on this forum and others about people bypassing this side stand switch. The switch failing, and the side stand spring weakening over time seems to be the biggest culprits. Before I dig too far into this, is it worth purchasing side stand switch and getting this device working again? Or am just wasting my time, and I'll end up bypassing it in the future? In my mind, the side stand kill switch is a safety device and if it it is adjusted and properly, it should work reliably. Side stand switches work on previous motorbikes, so why won't this one work reliably ? Or am in left field? Please share your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
I never heard of a faulty switch. Keep the side stand lubricated. I bent the tab on the sidestand that pushes on the switch so it would make better contact. Ive never had a single issue. If you ride on the bike one time with the sidestand down you could be in for a big surprise and probably crash so its worth keeping it operating correctly.

·
Registered
1996 GSXR 750
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never heard of a faulty switch. Keep the side stand lubricated. I bent the tab on the sidestand that pushes on the switch so it would make better contact. Ive never had a single issue. If you ride on the bike one time with the sidestand down you could be in for a big surprise and probably crash so its worth keeping it operating correctly.
Thanks. I've been saved by the side stand switch a couple of times on my other bikes, so I'd prefer to reinstall it and get it working. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
GSX-R750
86 Posts
Yeah +1 keeping it. It has saved me a few times as well. The shame of the motor turning off is better than the brown pants moment the first left turn you make.

Also never had an issue with any of mine. I would also +1 on lubricate and rebuilt the pivot on the stand every now and then. Also, check the springs.

The switch works by the kick stand spring holding the stand up, and holding the switch depressed. If your spring is weak, or the pivot is crusty and hard to move, the spring can't hold the stand up as firmly against the switch, and it could come disconnected while you're riding, even for a split second when you say, hit a bump.

All to say, clean and rebuild your side stand every now and then, and clean off the switch as well. I just did this on my '04 750, the switch and stand was super crusty. Full clean out with heavy duty degreaser, polish the pivot bolt and friction surfaces with a small wire wheel, and add some grease.

Just like anything else on a bike, periodic maintenance is key. Nothing is set it and forget it forever...

-Mike

·
Premium Member
7,441 Posts
no! side stand switches are there for a reason, they work great, they do get chain lube on them though and can get out of adjustment, so clean when cleaning chain and sprox.. they are a safety feature so the bike wont start in gear with stand down and clutch out.. I prefer it less its a track bike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts