Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When im riding i dont really notice any problems, i dont think its slipping, i have good throttle response.

Maybe someone can accuratly define slipping, i figure it would a higher increase in revs than speed.

When i had my bike on the rear stand today I put it in gear and the wheel started spinning before I let out the clutch, i think its done it slightly before, but i couldnt even tell the difference between clutch in and out this time. I adjusted the clutch cable at the handle and at the sprocket cover according to manual. It does seem to clunk into gear, not just slip in as much, almost like if your in nuetral rolling at 20 and you put it into 1st without giving throttle to compensate.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Doesn't sound too good, but with my bike on the rear stand it will also roll the wheel with the clutch in and in gear?!?!

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Yea it is normal for the rear wheel to spin on the stand with or without the clutch in.

If your clutch is slipping then the RPM will jump up faster then your MPH.. Sometimes when your clutch first starts to slip it is hard to tell.. It will only slip when you first let the clutch out.. Once you have had the clutch out for a bit it will not slip...

One thing you can do is it ride at like 30 MPH and then put the bike in 5th gear, pull the clutch and rev it up to like 10K RPM and let the clutch out quick. It should drop the RPM fast. If it doesnt then your clutch is going bad.

John

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
One thing you can do is it ride at like 30 MPH and then put the bike in 5th gear, pull the clutch and rev it up to like 10K RPM and let the clutch out quick. It should drop the RPM fast. If it doesnt then your clutch is going bad.

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thanks john for clearing that up for us and giving us that tip.
another thing, are there synchro's to an exent in our trannies? basically should it be really smooth or is there there always a little bit of a clunk going between the first three gears? or am i just not being quick enough? sometimes it can be smooth as glass.
also ive been trying not to blip the throttle as much as i read somewhere to not do that.

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
We have no syncros.. We have a constant mess tranny.. So that clunck you feel/hear is fairly normaly.. if you are shifting at the right times it isnt as bad... Also, the correct amount of oil and clutch adjustment make a BIG difference in the way the tranny shifts.

John

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
We have no syncros.. We have a constant mess tranny.. So that clunck you feel/hear is fairly normaly.. if you are shifting at the right times it isnt as bad... Also, the correct amount of oil and clutch adjustment make a BIG difference in the way the tranny shifts.

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Great, i learned a good amount from that, you are the man freak!

what about a factory shift kit or the like to help stiffen it up? worth it?

all thats left is the carbs to start learning about

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Factory shift kits are nice if you need a more positive shift, or you have LOTS of power.. For stock street bikes or mild mods... you dont really have to worry about it on them..

John

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
are bike cluthes like that of car clutches? because if they are, a good and easy way to check is to get on in, maybe in 3rd or so and shift in the middle of the rpm range, if the motor revs high, and the bike doesn't go, your clutch is slipping

this is an easy way to check on a car, but like i said, i dont know if car and bike cluthes are the same

jimmy

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here is a easy way to tell if yoru clutch is slipping. Find a steep hill and come to a stop on it, let out the clutch slowly to the point where it grabs if it doesnt hold the bike give it a bit of gas if the bike takes off you are fine if it don't it will slip and you will know that the clutch is gone. BTW a clutch is very easy to do on these bikes and cheap, so dont worry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts