Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the articles, and i only hear the 'ticking' sound described when i twist the throttle really hard from idle. I've never driven a diesil car/truck so i dont know what to look for, i doubt that the bike behaves like it has a diesil engine. However, the bike feels like it has much less power than it used to (haha maybe i'm just getting used to the power it makes and it doesnt scare me as much
) and when I let off the throttle at ANY time, the rpms come down Very slowly... meaning rich fuel mixture right? I just had the valves adjusted, carbs cleaned and new plugs installed about 2 months ago... I'm thinking the easiest way to find out if the shop i took my bike to f-ked up something is to check the plugs, am i right?

what do i look for on the plugs that would indicate a rich fuel mixture? and does it sound like theres a problem with my cct?? i'm worried it sounds like a very looong and involved process to change it out.

thanks in advance gurus

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
An easy way to test whether you are running rich is when you are able to easily and immediately start the bike in the morning without having to use the choke... you will also smell gasoline and your exhaust tip is black as shit...

As for the CCT sound... not too sure what to tell ya...

If you are around the south OC area... drop by with your bike and let's check it out!

[ 02-02-2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: migz123 ]

·
Registered
964 Posts
Originally posted by A_Fire_Inside:

what do i look for on the plugs that would indicate a rich fuel mixture? and does it sound like theres a problem with my cct?? i'm worried it sounds like a very looong and involved process to change it out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When you pull the plug and it looks like it's all black at the prong then you are running a rich mixture. If it looks like white powder then it's a lean condition. But like Migz pointed out you will be able to tell by the smell (if it is very severe). As for the CCT it is a pretty distinctive sound that it makes. Think of it as rattling. Put your ear to the right of the bike when you are sitting on it and listen. How was she running when you got it back from the shop? If it was like that then, then I would suspect they might have done something wrong.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just bring your bike in for service for the CCT. Its a factory recall so the work is done for free. I brought my bike in for it and other parts were also messed upped so they had to fix those too for no charge since the CCT was the cause of the problem. For you running Rich i dont know bout that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
yes, most defently go with the APE CCT, I'm not sure if a suzuki dealer will install that instead for you(probably not) but its worth a try if they will do it correctly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Originally posted by slickstergsxr:
yes, most defently go with the APE CCT, I'm not sure if a suzuki dealer will install that instead for you(probably not) but its worth a try if they will do it correctly.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Go with the APE CCT.

I changed mine with no prob..
Good luck.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Originally posted by slickstergsxr:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Agreed...best CCT to get...

·
Registered
432 Posts
im having the same problem with my 2000 gixxer 6, does anyone know the part number for the ape cam chain tensioner? or does anyone know which brand cct, ron ayers sells?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by g13clasified:
im having the same problem with my 2000 gixxer 6, does anyone know the part number for the ape cam chain tensioner? or does anyone know which brand cct, ron ayers sells?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It is the same for the 97-00 600 and the 96-99 750..

John

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If you look close at it, they are the same part number..
Any of the ones they list for a 96-99 750 or a 97 -00 600 will fit your bike..

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts