Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my 08 750 for a couple years and even put on full system and pc5 to open it up a bit more. It's insanely fast for the street but it doesn't really excite me anymore other than when I'm carving up corners.

has anyone made the jump from a 750 to a 1000? I'd definietly like to stay Suzuki due to the reliability and them being easy to work on.

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
You have more than enough time under your belt,and from what I've read you post over the years,a decent head on your shoulders...you'll be fine. You'll immediately notice the huge increase in tq in the lower rpms which makes a 1000 so much fun in the low to mid-range compared to a 600/750,which is where we spend most of our time on the street Go for it.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have more than enough time under your belt,and from what I've read you post over the years,a decent head on your shoulders...you'll be fine. You'll immediately notice the huge increase in tq in the lower rpms which makes a 1000 so much fun in the low to mid-range compared to a 600/750,which is where we spend most of our time on the street Go for it.
thanks for the kind words haha. yeh it would be nice having the torque on tap..it's by no means slow but to get the pace going I've got to rev it's little titties off. sometimes I feel like there is more torque available on my drz400(which isn't true).

I watched an older model crossplane r1 take off from the lights the other day pretty casually. the front wheel just lifted up off the ground and he was barely revving it! I can wheelie the crap out of my 750 but I have to work for it.

people talk about less rotating mass in a 750 but for street riding it's probably negligible.

so it comes down to torque really..I don't need more horsepower because torque is where the fun is at. the 750 is super friendly that I'm confident riding on a rainy day. would it be much different on a 1000? even on a dry day you have to be much more throttle conscious?

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
people talk about less rotating mass in a 750 but for street riding it's probably negligible.

so it comes down to torque really..I don't need more horsepower because torque is where the fun is at. the 750 is super friendly that I'm confident riding on a rainy day. would it be much different on a 1000? even on a dry day you have to be much more throttle conscious?

I swapped a K5 1000 engine to my K1 750 and I couldn't feel any difference in handling. Power difference is like a night and day. :cheers

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped a K5 1000 engine to my K1 750 and I couldn't feel any difference in handling. Power difference is like a night and day. :cheers
that's an interesting combo but I suppose the older 750 was built from the 1000 instead of mine which is from the 600. there's a decent condition k5 for sale but it's got 42000km which is more than my 750.

I'll put it up for sale and say either cash or swap for a 1000 and see what happens. if I good offer comes up I'll jump on it.

I have become quite attached to my 750 as it was always my dream bike once I got into sportbikes.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
Have you done a track day on the 750? That'll put a tingle in your nethers...

This.

In fact I downsized from a 1000 to a 600 for track duty. I continue to ride my 1000 on the street not because its more exciting/exhilarating, if anything it's because it has more grunt/torque than the 600, although they say the 750 is perhaps the ideal track and street motor. Then again, once you take it to the racetrack your measuring stick for what excitement on 2 wheels is will probably be altered a bit. :thumbup

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
You live in an area where all the 1000 is going to do is get you into more trouble. I don't see the point, in your case.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you done a track day on the 750? That'll put a tingle in your nethers...
I would love to do a track day on it but that's not really an option where I am.

we have a drag strip and a go kart track which is suited to 250 four strokes, 125 2 strokes and supermotos.

we have a lot of amazing mountain ranges and coastal roads.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You live in an area where all the 1000 is going to do is get you into more trouble. I don't see the point, in your case.
it would just be for when I do get on the throttle a bit it would give me more of a rush or in fact with a 1000 I would spend less time on the throttle and be even more bored ?

·
3,844 Posts
it would just be for when I do get on the throttle a bit it would give me more of a rush or in fact with a 1000 I would spend less time on the throttle and be even more bored ?

It'll give you more of a rush, until you realize you're doing double the speed limit. It is so easy to pull out of a gas station and get onto a highway, giving her the beans, and you realize you're doing 90+. You're not even remotely close to redline for most speed limits, and even the 80mph speed limit we have here is 25 mph less than what first gear tops out at. You'll definitely feel the increased torque at all times, but I realized that most of the time I'm utterly bored because I simply cannot take advantage of all of that power.

So, I think you're going to be bored of it when you realize you can't use it, because you know what a monster of a bike is under you. Especially with the newest liter bikes closing in on 200whp.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It'll give you more of a rush, until you realize you're doing double the speed limit. It is so easy to pull out of a gas station and get onto a highway, giving her the beans, and you realize you're doing 90+. You're not even remotely close to redline for most speed limits, and even the 80mph speed limit we have here is 25 mph less than what first gear tops out at. You'll definitely feel the increased torque at all times, but I realized that most of the time I'm utterly bored because I simply cannot take advantage of all of that power.

So, I think you're going to be bored of it when you realize you can't use it, because you know what a monster of a bike is under you. Especially with the newest liter bikes closing in on 200whp.
the same could be said for my 750, I just wondered if the extra torque would make it more fun getting to the speed limit. my 750 I can hit the limiter in 1st and 2nd on the mountain range, which sounds great with a full system.

the most obvious answer would be for me to go and ride a 1000 but sadly I don't have many riding friends and none who own a 1000.

·
Super Moderator
14,942 Posts
the same could be said for my 750, I just wondered if the extra torque would make it more fun getting to the speed limit. my 750 I can hit the limiter in 1st and 2nd on the mountain range, which sounds great with a full system.
The problem is you'll get used to the torque of the 1000 the same way you are already used to the torque of your 750. Then what?

I can tell you for sure that there is a certain level of boredom associated with owning a full blown Superbike and riding it at 30-40% of it's potential on the street because anything more than that requires a racetrack.

The 750 has a way of making you feel like a superstar in the twisties because you actually have to WORK for the power giving you that sensation that you are using 75/80% of the bike. Too me the 750 was way more fun to ride on the street. I actually love to shift gears. Don't get me wrong...the brute power of the 1000 is intoxicating off the line and if it's that 0-100 rush that you're looking for then the bigger bike will certainly deliver.

But what happens when you get used to that 0-100 rush? After a while each and every one of us become that fiend that's always chasing that first high.

I'm starting to realize that you don't need the all out raw power of the literbike to have fun. I went to a Kawi demo event today and test rode their Z900 which is only like 125HP/70FTLBS. I was grinning like a fucking idiot the whole time riding it around. :grin2: It was a great reminder that I don't need the power of my own bike to have fun around town. Between us...my next bike will probably be an MT-09. Cheap fun.

Truthfully...most of us here belong on a naked bike but that's another story/thread.

Get the 1000 if only for the experience. I know you can handle it so obviously this isn't about that. But I'm here to tell you that you'll still miss your 750 if you do decide to get rid of it. I definitely miss mine.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
The problem is you'll get used to the torque of the 1000 the same way you are already used to the torque of your 750. Then what?

I can tell you for sure that there is a certain level of boredom associated with owning a full blown Superbike and riding it at 30-40% of it's potential on the street because anything more than that requires a racetrack.

But what happens when you get used to that 0-100 rush?
After a while each and every one of us become that fiend that's always chasing that first high.
Then you go big-bore or turbo....more fun under 100mph on the street than you could ever imagine. Then once past 100,the fun really starts;strictly for closed course purposes at that point though :crazy

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
As of my second street bike back in '87, I went big.

Back in '05, I was bike-less so I did a 2300km tour around new England on a borrowed 636. Great, fun, nimble bike and a pile of fun in the turns. But the seemingly CONSTANT shifting drove me nuts. If you're mature enough to not be an asshole on the street, you'll love tooling around on a big bore.

I noticed with my first K6 1K that with the stupid-tall gearing (>170 kms in 1st) that I can ride stoplight to stoplight by feathering out the clutch and timing my acceleration with juuuuuust enough of a shot to get to the next light.... without needing to change out of first and never needing to spin up the motor at all. EG take-off from a stop, there's another stop 500 yards ahead so get rolling, lightly blip the gas to 4000 rpm and I'm already speeding... pull in the clutch and coast to the next stop. Lather, rinse repeat.

Definitely not what they're built for but ironically, the gearing and torque makes them highly practical commuters...... made me an even lazier rider than I was before. :suicide

EDIT: before they come for my man-card, I forgot - Yes, a 1000 also pulls like a son of a bitch when you do spank it.

·
3,844 Posts
I will say that my most fun bike was my supermoto. I never had an issue with being at crazy speeds, yet it was so much more fun than anything I’ve owned.
The next bike, which was not particularly close but was still fun, was my ZRX1100. It was fast and had torque, but was not nuts like the GSX-R.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Go for it, as the experience is worth it as a rite of passage.

I remember going from a 2000 R6 to a 2004 R1 after 2 years of street riding, touring around the UK, and plenty of track days on the R6 (and unfortunately track crashes).

That 3rd gen R1 was like a beefed up 600...Not much torque down low but a linear kick in the arse from mid range to about 12k revs and, I don't know if it's to do with Yamaha's musical heritage, but the sound of the motor coming on song was incredible to my ears (that may have been a lot to do with the buying decision when I test rode it).

You can't beat memories like that, and I found I had to finesse some elements of my riding, taking classes with California Superbike School up to Level 2, and reading theory, all to make the best of a bike which handled better than the 6 but had about 60 HP more. I believe I became a better rider after jumping on a litre and deciding to try to understand better how a bike works.

However....After many years, and many miles of more touring (around Europe), many more track days, and even an attempt at racing...My daily rider is a 2003 SV650 and I love it (especially with the GSXR 1000 front end and brakes). I took it to Aragon in Spain for a track day and although I got spanked on the straights by V4 Panigales and S1000RRs, I caught them up in the corners....You can't beat memories like that either.

TLDR...Buy the K5 GSXR 1000...btw 42000 KMs is nothing....Suzuki build some of the best motorcycle engines in the business...especially gearboxes...They just cheap out everywhere else :) Ride it for a few years, then keep it as your special bike where your daily rider is a lower capacity lightweight bike...Even a Ninja 400 would be super fun.

Enjoy.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,804 Posts
I would love to do a track day on it but that's not really an option where I am.

we have a drag strip and a go kart track which is suited to 250 four strokes, 125 2 strokes and supermotos.

we have a lot of amazing mountain ranges and coastal roads.

That's sounds odd....unless you live in a 3rd world country there are literally more accessible racetracks everywhere in the US, Canada, Europe, etc than there ever has been before.

If you're expecting every road course to be a 30 minute drive from your house then yes you might be disappointed. But most of us on here drive at LEAST 2-3 at the minimum to get to a local track.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i live in far north queensland in Australia. There really isn't much up here in terms of tracks or anything haha. Closest thing is in townsville but thats a street circuit which they make up for the v8 super cars.

I got some roads here I can use as my own circuit but I never push it that hard these days..don't want to write off my bike and or myself. Although if I was to go out I would like to go out in a ball of flames doing what I love.

·
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really don't need a 1000...i think my 750 was feelin slow because I had my girlfriend living with me.before she went back to japan and I always had to take her on the back and then I rode like a grandma...it was too uncomfortable to hit high rpms with a passenger and too dangerous.

Yesterday I was on a mountain road behind a car and an overtaking lane came up with a big straight. Used the clutch a bit and stood up on 1 wheel at 80kmh in 2nd managed to ride it out and catch 3rd aswell, when I brought the front back down I was approaching 200kmh before I had to brake for the corner.

Now...i can only imagine what I would be doing on a 1000.

To reiterate my point...i don't need a 1000...but I WANT one. It just has to happen at some point in my life. Its inevitable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
13 Participants
Apexodus
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing