Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I Heart Man Sauce
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
49ers linebacker Patrick Willis is the best defensive player in the league? That dude is such a beast. Now that he is in the new system with defensive minded Coach Mike Singletary I think he's going to be even more unstoppable. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on him for defensive MVP.

http://www.nfl.com/players/patrickwillis/careerstats?id=WIL618736

He's 6-1, 240+ lbs, runs a 4.4 40-yard dash and his rookie season he led the entire league in solo tackles, not rookies - the enitire league! The guy with the 2nd most solo tackles was more than 30 tackles behind Willis' numbers.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Clear and cut best linebacker in the league. Arguably the most valuable defensive person in the NFL. I think its hard to say some one is THE BEST. Willis will continue to shine for some time no doubt. But there are others in that change the game. Demand respect who don't post super great numbers because they're getting double teamed or not thrown to at all. That kind of respect is beyond numbers.

·
Professional Baby Maker
17,741 Posts
it's not that he's in a new system, it's that the system was simplified. Before, Mike Nolan had the D have multiple assignments doing a lot of things well, now it's a few things extremely well. He's definitely a great LB, scary part is he's still maturing as a player.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
Good? Yes. To say he's the best defensive player in the NFL is a stretch though. He's right up there though.

·
> than you
2,593 Posts
49ers linebacker Patrick Willis is the best defensive player in the league? That dude is such a beast. Now that he is in the new system with defensive minded Coach Mike Singletary I think he's going to be even more unstoppable. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on him for defensive MVP.

http://www.nfl.com/players/patrickwillis/careerstats?id=WIL618736

He's 6-1, 240+ lbs, runs a 4.4 40-yard dash and his rookie season he led the entire league in solo tackles, not rookies - the enitire league! The guy with the 2nd most solo tackles was more than 30 tackles behind Willis' numbers.

Anyone agree? Disagree?
Diasgree to a point. Bam Bam is one of the elite defenders in the NFL right now. No questioning that. However, you still got Palomalu, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis who in his 12th or 13th season is STILL dominating football games. Champ Bailey looks rejuvinated. Namdi Asomouga in Oakland. Dwight Freeney in Indy. Hell, Elvis Dumerville in Denver has been pass rushing beast so far this season.

There are a lot of top-notch defenders in the NFL this year. Let's just see how things shake out before we annoint someone as "the best", and enjoy the show in the meanwhile.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
Diasgree to a point. Bam Bam is one of the elite defenders in the NFL right now. No questioning that. However, you still got Palomalu, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis who in his 12th or 13th season is STILL dominating football games. Champ Bailey looks rejuvinated. Namdi Asomouga in Oakland. Dwight Freeney in Indy. Hell, Elvis Dumerville in Denver has been pass rushing beast so far this season.

There are a lot of top-notch defenders in the NFL this year. Let's just see how things shake out before we annoint someone as "the best", and enjoy the show in the meanwhile.
Great list which I would have echo'd except I would have also added Jarred Allen. That's guy's heart and hustle are surpassed by nobody in the NFL.

·
> than you
2,593 Posts
Great list which I would have echo'd except I would have also added Jarred Allen. That's guy's heart and hustle are surpassed by nobody in the NFL.
Allen is good, but let's keep Monday night's performance in perspective.

On Monday night, he repeatedly abused an offensive tackle that has been basically raped by every defensive end he's lined up across from this season.

Adewale Ogunleye of the Bears had a field day on his ass when they played the Packers too.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
25,271 Posts
Allen is good, but let's keep Monday night's performance in perspective.

On Monday night, he repeatedly abused an offensive tackle that has been basically raped by every defensive end he's lined up across from this season.

Adewale Ogunleye of the Bears had a field day on his ass when they played the Packers too.
I knew you were going to say that but he's been a SOLID threat on defense for many years now. Monday night was merely a showcase of his talent in a perfect storm scenario.

·
Premium Member
5,169 Posts
Allen also plays on arguably the best defensive line in the league. The two Williams's are beasts. Demanding attention. Not taking anything away from Allen, hes a great pass rusher. But its damn sure nice playing on the edge with those guys by your side. I don't think you can say some one is the best defender in the league. You can break down positional or say it more as a team MVP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts