Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal for 91 750\'s to have loud valve trains

i was just wondering becuz the shop i got the bike from did a complete rebuild on the engine and told me that suzukis have loud valvetrains i can hear them pretty good when i wear my german helmet

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Re: is it normal for 91 750\'s to have loud valve trains

I'd say it is normal if the valve clearances are on the loose side.

·
3,482 Posts

If you don't hear them they are too tight

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i hear em good
i actually watched/helped him do the tensioner.
i'll let him ride it and see what he thinks

·
Registered
7 Posts

Yes - they make a lot of noise if the clearances are right.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Mine are subtle. But if I listen, I can here them tickety-tickin'. I couldn't hear them when I first bought the bike though. For this reason, I checked the valve clearances immediately. After I first adjusted them, they were ticking to beat hell--sounded like a sewing machine. They are slowly quieting down as I put the miles on.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Also, I've seen valves quiet down, literally, overnight. I guess the chain tensioner rachets out another click, and somehow quiets the whole valvetrain down. Go figure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i think your right tbrown the guy i bought the bike from owns powerhorse cycle inc. he had to rebuild the whole motor to sell it to me becuz it was a deadbeat customers bike i got it for a steal (1800.00) with completly rebuilt motor , witch i watched him do and im pretty sure he did a good job becuz he keep taking back apart when there was really nothing at all wrong but he seems like a perfectionist. the bike runs great and i mean great not a single concern in my mind that anything is loose or missing and like brown said the more i ride the quiter it seems to get he told me to bring it back for another valve adjustment after i put some miles.
also the bike had really good compression tests after he did the rings this i also watch so i am not at all worryed about motor trouble i was just wondering becuz he to me they have loud valvetrains and i just wanted a second opinion and from this forum is seems to be 50/50
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

I know that, on most bikes, if you can't hear the valves, they're too tight.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

Too tight valve clearances don't allow for heat expansion and really do spell trouble....
The "old" folk tell me that the old in line 6's in the early cars always perfomed heaps better with bigger - thus louder - tappets....
I have just acquired a 85 750 which has had a rebuild - it sounds like the valve is going to exit stage left, but performance is exxcellent...
Cheers Si.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

That's funny, usually bikes run better with tighter valves (close to spec, though). Some folks notice a performance decrease, albeit very slight, when they restore larger valve clearances. That's the quandry--the bike runs better with tighter valves, but doesn't last as long. Interesting contrast to the inline six (mopar?) motors.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Well if the valve train is new then it will be pretty quiet like sickpup's. Meaning if you have new tensioner, chain, new or excellent cams and rockers with proper lash it will be nice and quiet. Has anyone ever heard a new bandit? They are nice and quiet. They are the same damn motor, but they are not atleast 13 years old.

John

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Maybe the bandit had tight valves

·
Registered
537 Posts

Maybe the bandit had tight valves
I am not talking about 1 bandit, I am talking about 4 of them that friends of mine have. I don't think that Suzuki sets the valves too tight straight from the factory.

John

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Fair enough. You raise a good point.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

I actually took my 1000 K2 into the dealers whilst it was under warranty and made them listen and then start up a few other bikes so I could hear the noise. They seem to be all quite loud in the valve train. After years of Honda etc - I was not used to the noise and I swear the cam chain or a tappet was coming adrift, but after Suzi dealer started 4 diff bikes (all in line 4's) i was satisfied that nothing was needed.....still curious, but less worried...
Si

1 - 20 of 20 Posts