Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed the other day, when taking off at the lights a sort of "grating noise coming (I think) from the chain.

I had a good look and apart from there being a ton of sand, grease and crap on it the chain guide (which is now gone, the crap that is) looks really worn (like there is a plastic "sleeve" that comes up the side of the chain, where the chain has worn it down). Also the guide seems a bit "loose" at the pivot end, it seems to flap about a bit too much and is really flexible at the bottom, towards the pivot. I think it may be cracked on the other side of the pivot (behind the frame?). Could that be where the noise is coming from? I'm pretty sure that the chain is not too loose, it has about 2-3 cm play in it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
The bottom of the chain guard is where sand\grease\dirt loves to gather
If u remove the guard, all that will fling onto your left boot, leg and rear fairing

The rubber thingy on the swingarm is the Chain Slider. As the name suggests, it's where the chain slides over the swingarm as it arrives at the countershaft sprocket.

It's secured onto the swingarm by a couple of bolts. Tighten those and see if the noise goes away. Or, if the slider is in bad shape, maybe it's wise to replace it.

As for the noise, im having difficulty in imagining the sound.... a grating sound is more likely to come fro worn chain\sprockets.

2-3cms of freeplay is about right.

How many k's u got on them ?

KaTz

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Sand tears up chains pretty bad. It get in there and eats the o rings and works its way to the rollers and pins. Eventually it will wear the chain to the point it may snap. The noise you hear could be your chain hanging on to its last bit of life.

The guide on the top side of the swingarm is supposed to have a groove in it to guide the chain. As far as I can remember, the guide isn't held on real tight. It has to flex a little to accomidate the motion of the chain.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

oops I did say guide didnt I
, I meant slider. I've only had the bike for a short time (3 weeks) but by the look of it the chain and sprockets are fairly new (bugger all wear on the sprockets).

There does not seem to be any sand on the chain, just on the chain slider so I think it was left overs from the previous chain. I have been cleaning the bike and chain weekly (I've done about 1000km in the 3 weeks) so hopefully I'll get a bit more life out of the chain.

As for the groove, I'm pretty sure this slider is very worn, the groove is still there (just)the bit I'm talking about is like a small flap about the width of paper that is going up the outside edge of the chain.

I'll try and take the slider off tonight to see whether its buggered or not. Are there any tricks with removing it? Just the two bolts and it slides out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
i used to get a weird sound from my chain too, right when i took off..kinda crackly and i could actually feel it clicking thru the bike..turns out chain was kinked..i dunno though, you said yours looked fairly new.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Originally posted by psycho750R:
i used to get a weird sound from my chain too, right when i took off..kinda crackly and i could actually feel it clicking thru the bike..turns out chain was kinked..i dunno though, you said yours looked fairly new.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My chain is shot... but I can make it look new...

I would start with a fresh chain and sprockets....

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts