Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ripped off by a mechanic I was thinking of just swapping a motor myself. I want a gsxr Fuel injected motor but is it just a take the katana motor off and bolt the new on in? Or would I have to fabricate new motor mounts etc etc? thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
No fuel injected GSXR engine will go into the Katana frame without extensive modifications. Is it possible? Yes, given enough money. Is it worth it? F*ck no!

·
Registered
77 Posts
ok, this is not just "replacing the motor" as you have to replace the whole electrical system with all sensors, throttlebodies, full exhaust, switches, ecu and speedo...... It might be cheaper to buy another bike.

On the ohter hand, this can be acheved, but takes a lot of knowledge and "know how".
My recommendation = get another gsx600f katanamotor for the swap or better -> go buy a gsxr and sell the katana.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The earliest GSXR engine with FI would be the SRAD 750; that engine shares nothing in common with the SACS engine on the Katana. Where are you going to put the airbox? That would need a custom fuel tank. No engine mount will line up, so you'd have to modify the frame and make custom engine mounts. Then you'd have to make all the hardware to mount the cooling system and what not.

And after all that trouble, you're still with a Katana. Get a faired Bandit, the GSX 650/1250F. Readily available, properly engineered and way cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts