Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a 6" rim would work on an 89gsxr750 or would I be better off using a 5 1/2 rim? And....would a 180/55 tire rub inside the swingarm and/or rear fender? Thanks!

saved

[ 10-21-2002, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Simon Orttan ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
nah, stick with the 5.5 max. there's no point in going wider, it's not like your bike is scrambling for traction or anything, is it?
stock on your 89 is 4.5, right? i think the '90s came with 5.5's, but i could be wrong, though.
you might discover that with a wider rim and tire, the handling gets adversely affected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear wheel is 4.5 - good rubber seems to be limited. I want to take advantage of what's available for the 5.5. Thanks for the info!

------------------

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
gsxr750kguy-I think that a 5.5 rim would sufficient for your 750. My 90 has a 5.5 rim. I run a 180/55 pilot race. It has been working pretty well for me so far.

------------------
Chris Andrews
90 GSXR 1100 [email protected]?
1216,4" over arm,air shift,and nitrous.
OLD SCHOOL

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
all the premium tires are pretty much available as 160's to fit your 4.5 (take a peek on the dunlop and bridgestone web sites, they have the 207zr and bt56ss and bt010 in that size), it's just that you might run into trouble if you're looking for race compounds.
and not all mail order places would carry them, but i'm betting the larger ones would.

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 12-13-2000).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run 165 HP through my 88 750/1215 on the 4.5 inch rim. Its a blast. Who wouldnt race and old terd like that? Its busted quite a few un suspecting busas.

------------------

·
Registered
437 Posts
Stock on the 89's was a 160 rear. For '90 Suzuki went to the 170's and lengthened the output shaft by 3mm (admittedly not much) to accomodate the larger rear tire. I would say 6" is probably a bit much.

Go Michelin Pilots :-0
------------------
'89 750---Factory ignition advancer and shift kit, Barnett Kevlar Clutch and springs, Goodridge SS brake lines.

[This message has been edited by Umf (edited 12-14-2000).]

·
Banned
63 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxr750kguy:
Anyone know if a 6" rim would work on an 89gsxr750 or would I be better off using a 5 1/2 rim? And....would a 180/55 tire rub inside the swingarm and/or rear fender? Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

·
Banned
63 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxr750kguy:
Anyone know if a 6" rim would work on an 89gsxr750 or would I be better off using a 5 1/2 rim? And....would a 180/55 tire rub inside the swingarm and/or rear fender? Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A six inch rim is fine if you change the swingarm to a 93. Then it will bolt right on.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
but the '93 arm won't bolt right on. different axle diameters, and different lower shock mounts too.
at any rate, a 6" rear rim is way overkill for an older 750, and will likely ruin the handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bikes have gone from wide to wider to widest in the rear wheel department, and are currently on their way back down for at least one very good reason: It's harder to tip over a 6in wheel than a 5 or 5.5 inch. In short, you lose "flickability" with a wider wheel. I have '91 model 750/955 putting 124 horsies through the stock rear rim to a 180/55 D207 and I have no traction complaints at all. In short, if you're not leaving long darkies on corner exits, you don't need more rear rubber.

------------------

·
Banned
63 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hayabusa750:
For your info the shock mount bolts up to the frame. And so does the swingarm pivot axle and the wheel axle.(p.s. i have 88 750 framed 1216 with a 93 banana on it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also jeff if you don't have one on a bike or seen it.Then you don't know what your talking about.

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
The 5.5 rim and 180 tire will fit. I didn't even have to realign front sprocket like some say, tthe sprockets lined up perfect. You will have to modify the brake stay arm. White trash fix consists of just bending it a little and then locating both female tangs at rear of arm to the outside of the caliper.
Pretty much a bolt in swap.

------------------

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
haya750,

a friend of mine tried to get a 93 banana onto a 89, and couldn't do it easily. maybe he's just a loser.

another guy i know managed to get a 93 onto an 86 '11 frame, but he had to do quite a bit of grinding and fabrication to get it in. and when he finally did, he had an extra 7 inches of rear ride height.
fwiw, the shock mount i was referring to was the lower shock mount. they're often different between different year gixxers.

·
Banned
63 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff:
but the '93 arm won't bolt right on. different axle diameters, and different lower shock mounts too.
at any rate, a 6" rear rim is way overkill for an older 750, and will likely ruin the handling.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For your info the shock mount bolts up to the frame. And so does the swingarm pivot axle and the wheel axle.(p.s. i have 88 750 framed 1216 with a 93 banana on it.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hayabusa750:
Also jeff if you don't have one on a bike or seen it.Then you don't know what your talking about.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forget your 'smiley' this time???? Remember, joy,joy, happy, happy !!

Oh, and for something completely ass-backwards, how about the stunt pilot, Gary Rothwell.....he's running a modd'd air/oil 1100 in a full '93 frame/swingarm assembly, with a pre-93 front end. Hey, I won't argue with his results, but I'd love to know how an expert like that came to such a combination while learning his trade.

------------------
Fat Bastard's bike: '93 GSXR1100wp CDN version w/ thoroughly ridiculous # of mods :)

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
Anything will fit on any bike if you really really want it to.

I am still thinking of building up an RG500. Those things come stock with a 110 front 120 rear!

I want to run a 160 rear.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Gixxer:
Anything will fit on any bike if you really really want it to.

I am still thinking of building up an RG500. Those things come stock with a 110 front 120 rear!

I want to run a 160 rear.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you seen the articles etc on the Tu-laris?? Sweet machine...uses a 700cc Polaris snowmobile engine. Mind you, I think 'HIS WIFE' might have something to say about a project THAT huge

What's a cherry RG500 go for these days? 7-10k CDN??

------------------
Fat Bastard's bike: '93 GSXR1100wp CDN version w/ thoroughly ridiculous # of mods :)

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
just go with the 5.5 you will be fine. plenty of 180/55r17 race tire choices. you will love it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts