Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Gsxr 750 with S/S lines and vesrah rotors. I will be changing the front master cylinder to either an 2006 gsxr 600 OEM or Brembo 19x20.

Can someone give me insight whether OEM will yield good results? I'm worried for possible brake fade and overally braking power. Should i pay more $ for brembo?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
many race SS with the stock master cylinder. You don't need to get a Brembo, nor can you and remain legal. You will have to use fresh pads and bleed your brakes on a regular basis...very often. You will still have some fade, but even at race pace you can live with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I tried using the stock m/c on my K6 even though I had a top of the range AP unit sat on the shelf, as the span of the oe unit fit my hands really well. Did two track days with it, got brake fade, swapped for the AP unit, no more problems.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
i switched mine to a newer r1 radial master and it was a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Like Matt stated - if racing, unless running ALWAYS in the superbike classes, no go on the aftermarket M/Cs

Also, too many guys (Trackday guys and racers alike) do not bleed their brakes enough. They get fade and think it is a pad or rotor issue or even a M/C issue.

For the most part, unless you are running top 5 overall fastest laptimes, you can do fine with a stock M/C. Endurance racing, you might want to consider one as over the course of a race, you can do a bit better with a Brembo, etc.

Just get used to bleeding the brakes. Hell, I've said it before and I will say it again, I bleed my Saturday morning before practice and Sunday morning before the race. What, it costs a whole $5-$7??

·
Registered
716 Posts
You can bleed them, you can add Castrol SRF at $60 bottle.
You can run the brake lines so they stick out like Jensen's bikes.
You can do everything you want, but it all comes down to the fact the master sucks.

Replace it with a Brembo.
Bleed the brakes once every 5 races and go have fun.

Or stay with the stock one, bleed the brakes, buy SRF, get an Active Lever with remote adjuster and be ready for the brakes to hit your knuckles going 150 + into T-1 at VIR because your brakes have not cooled down from the top of the roller coaster. And the OEM master will not allow a self bleeding due to some moron who put the bleed valve before the remote reservoir and did not increase the blow by hole internally. Thus casing the infamous brake fade GSXR problem this year.

Suzuki also has a hard time installing dust seals properly in the calipers. It's a square dust ring that gets twisted leaving a high point sticking to the pistons. Thus causing unnecessary drag and excess heat.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You can bleed them, you can add Castrol SRF at $60 bottle.
You can run the brake lines so they stick out like Jensen's bikes.
You can do everything you want, but it all comes down to the fact the master sucks.

Replace it with a Brembo.
Bleed the brakes once every 5 races and go have fun.

Or stay with the stock one, bleed the brakes, buy SRF, get an Active Lever with remote adjuster and be ready for the brakes to hit your knuckles going 150 + into T-1 at VIR because your brakes have not cooled down from the top of the roller coaster. And the OEM master will not allow a self bleeding due to some moron who put the bleed valve before the remote reservoir and did not increase the blow by hole internally. Thus casing the infamous brake fade GSXR problem this year.

Suzuki also has a hard time installing dust seals properly in the calipers. It's a square dust ring that gets twisted leaving a high point sticking to the pistons. Thus causing unnecessary drag and excess heat.
And how fast does Jensen go on his 750 with the stock M/C? Look, it is the only option if you run anything in a SS class. Deal with it. The M/C may be junk, but look around. Guys like Batey, Jensen, Acree, Caylor, Jacobi, etc. are running OEM M/Cs. May suck, but they get the job done...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
And how fast does Jensen go on his 750 with the stock M/C? Look, it is the only option if you run anything in a SS class. Deal with it. The M/C may be junk, but look around. Guys like Batey, Jensen, Acree, Caylor, Jacobi, etc. are running OEM M/Cs. May suck, but they get the job done...

I think this was Ryan's point. He runs a stock master to be legal like the rest of us and everyone has fade issues. With the stock M/C it is just something you have to deal with.

BTW...Ryan is pretty much a beast on the brakes IMO...so, if I have fade issues....I know he does plus we regulary talk about it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
BTW....i was all set to buy $60 Castrol SRF until Ryan tried it and said it didn't fix a thing. It may help, but it isn't the magic fix.

Also, I came in immediately off the track and bled my calipers and blew brake fluid all over my bare hand....guess what....it was hot but didn't burn. 400deg F....I think not even close.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Jensen's bike from last year is sitting in my garage.
And the OEM brakes are flawless.

It's hit or miss with these masters, some work some don't.
Just ask M4.

·
Registered
716 Posts
BTW....i was all set to buy $60 Castrol SRF until Ryan tried it and said it didn't fix a thing. It may help, but it isn't the magic fix.

Also, I came in immediately off the track and bled my calipers and blew brake fluid all over my bare hand....guess what....it was hot but didn't burn. 400deg F....I think not even close.
That sucks, nothing like getting done racing all tired and working on the beast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
REM6A
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing