Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are new to sponsoring the ************, but we are not new to helmets. We make most of our novelty helmets here in our warehouse in Birmingham, AL. We are always open for new ideas. Please let us know if you have a great idea for a new motorcycle helmet.

BTW- yes, we do sell a lot of the helmet mohawks, we get the question everyday so we will head it off now and no, I do not wear one on my helmet.

·
Managing MotoJoe
71,515 Posts
Hi & welcome . . . I'd like to make you aware that there's some question about the specs of your full face helmets. You're not likely to get alot of business with the novelty helmets here . . . The majority of sportbike people want to know they have a good quality helmet protecting them . . . so with that said, could you let us know how they compare to some of the bigger names out there? I know that there's actually some lesser priced helmets out there that are actually better for the streets than the higher priced ones, etc . . .

·
Site Sponsor
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry, we are still learning how to use the forum. We have a lot of full face helmets and some snell helmets. We have a new helmet with a photochromatic shield. The helmet is gloss black and made of Fiberglass & Carbon Fiber. We could get it Snell certified but we are not going to pay snell since we don't need to.

·
Managing MotoJoe
71,515 Posts
While there's no guarantee a DOT-approved helmet has actually been tested, the purchase of a Snell-approved lid ensures that the product has been evaluated under scrutiny. A Snell-certified helmet also meets and exceeds the DOT standards.

The DOT standards are important because they outline the minimum requirements all motorcycle helmets must meet, which has already saved countless lives. But if you want to make sure your helmet has been tested impartially, then buying a helmet with the Snell sticker on it is a dependable alternative.

(http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=1021&Page=1)

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't buy a non-Snell helmet just because it looks pretty . . . it might be smarter to spend the money & have that sticker so more peeps might actually buy it ;)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
While there's no guarantee a DOT-approved helmet has actually been tested, the purchase of a Snell-approved lid ensures that the product has been evaluated under scrutiny. A Snell-certified helmet also meets and exceeds the DOT standards.

The DOT standards are important because they outline the minimum requirements all motorcycle helmets must meet, which has already saved countless lives. But if you want to make sure your helmet has been tested impartially, then buying a helmet with the Snell sticker on it is a dependable alternative.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't buy a non-Snell helmet just because it looks pretty . . . it might be smarter to spend the money & have that sticker so more peeps might actually buy it ;)
too true..... i won't even consider buying a helmet that isn't snell certified.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
next helmet i buy will more than likely be either BSI or ECE certified. that motorcyclist magazine article, "blowing the lid off", convinced me that the SNELL 2005 standard more than likely is not the safest.

i know i know, you buy what you want and ill buy what i want. not trying to convince anyone, just telling it how i see it.

·
Registered
60 Posts

too true..... i won't even consider buying a helmet that isn't snell certified.

The fact is that the Snell standard uses more "rigorous" tests and design the helmets to withstand them.......which results in more g forces being transfered to the riders head - more g's more injury, furthermore, the Snell standard DOES NOT differentiate between sizes of heads; I would NEVER buy a Snell certified child's helmet.

Here's a quote from Lucas Burt excerpted from the link above:

"Although their testing process is very similar, SMF requires their certified helmets to withstand a greater impact and absorb more force than the DOT standards."

This is simply his opinion and is not true. Here's the tests that prove it, and yes, they actually put DOT helmets through the Snell tests and then some:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
It looks like they dont care about customer's concern i.e. customer service.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Snelll should be coming out with a new standard I think 2009 or 2010. They're lowering the allowable limit and going with what everyone else has been stating... softer helmets to absorb one impact as opposed to stiffer to absorb multiple impacts.

As for the Iron Horse not caring... like they said they're getting used to using this forum or forums in general :monkeyface. Who would allow novelty helmets be sold on this site... oh wait nevermind. VS.

·
Site Sponsor
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are not behind the times.....Snell is. We hear nothing but horrible things about the new Snell safety ratings. We are not trying to start any debate, but many manufactures don't even want to make Snell Certified Helmets anymore because they are afraid the rigidness will get people killed.

·
Premium Member
8,797 Posts
that kind of false advertising will end up killing people. Ill email you as well, since your new to using this forum, but please respond with a valid reason why your not on the list, or I will report your company to the BBB. I dont want any new riders to think they are being smart by buying snell helmets, and then hear about how their brains splattered all over the highway on the 10 o' clock news.

normally i wouldnt give a crap, but these are peoples lives your responsible for

1 - 20 of 26 Posts