Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody.

A brand new 1100 gixxer owner from Spain. Bought it a few weeks ago, and should be arriving some time this week.

It´s a 1989/1990 bike, with Serial number starting GV73B.

Has been standing for 5 years, and is painted in really "strange" colours, blue, white and gold.

Plans are to get it up and running again, then return to original spec. It comes to join several others (VF1000R, DR600, Kawasaki KZ900 x2, Kawasaki 1000 LTD & Laverda 1200), so she will not feel lonely.

It´s not my first experience with a gixxer, having owned a 1988 GSXR 750 back in the nineties. That one broke the crankshaft, and was a beautiful "mechanical" experience.

First things I have in mind:

1.- Oil: All bikes at home use Motul 5100 15w50. In Spain weather is not so cold, and gets really warm in Summer. 10w40 sounds too thin to me. Opinions?

2.- Although I love stock bikes, I feel really curious about the "inverted" front forks in the 1991 gixxer. Do they make a really big difference to the "standard" forks?
I´ve located a 1991 750 fork, would that fit?

3.- I love tinkering... and I love asking questions, so bear with me and my poor english as I fight my way through setting the bike up. Good thing is that I´m a good learner, and will be a net contributor as I learn

See you around! :cheers

C.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
bienvenido!

the inverted forks make a big difference! si vale la pena. it is best to buy the complete assembly; forks, triple clamps bars, and fender.

i have fitted all of my five 1986 gsxr 750's with inverted forks, because they improve handling, and i ride at the track.

publica unas fotos de tu moto!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bienvenido!

the inverted forks make a big difference! si vale la pena. it is best to buy the complete assembly; forks, triple clamps bars, and fender.

i have fitted all of my five 1986 gsxr 750's with inverted forks, because they improve handling, and i ride at the track.

publica unas fotos de tu moto!
Gracias! I´m still waiting for the big girl to arrive home. Some time this week; and I promise I´ll post some pics.

Really excited about riding a Gsxr again!

Will take a look at inverted forks. I love the looks, but I am more of a casual rider, so probably don´t need the extra adjustment.

Thanks for the welcome :smile:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some initial pics.

I´m trying to find out what the original paintwork looked like. My idea is to get it back to original.

I´m a bit puzzled about the "golden wheels", as I don´t think they were repainted with the "awesome" "racing" paint scheme... which makes me think the original colour may have been black/red (only factory golden wheels I´ve seen).

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the by... first thing after new oil goes in, will be to take away all those pesky stickers....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It´s here! It´s finally arrived!

I can´t wait for the weekend to give it a good cleanover. Lots of cobwebs; as it has been standing for 5 years. Some initial diagnostics:

1.- Hydraulic clutch seems shot. Probably cup o´ring is gone
2.- Front brakes are not working. Possible fluid loss somewhere
3.- All rear mudguard and license plate holder are not there. Need to get some to get it right

The yellow (golden) paint in the rims is flaking, and it seems that wheels are white underneath; which means that the original colour scheme is not red/black, but more possibly white/blue.

We will see...

I´m really curious about a sort of switch, to the right of the rear shock, with two cables attached. No idea what this is for. Will post a picture.

So excited!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats definitely a project right there ! What are you planning to do ?
Return it to its original pristine condition.

Stage 1: Get it on the road. Enjoy it for some time, and get all faults ironed
Stage 2: Take it apart. Restore & renew
Stage 3: My kids will inherit it as part of the estate in 30 years time (that´s the time it will take me!):facepalm

C.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Stage 3: My kids will inherit it as part of the estate in 30 years time (that´s the time it will take me!):facepalm

C.
:lol I hear that

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well. She´s home! At last. It looks fairly sad. Has been abandoned for 5 years. At a first glance:

- Lots of spider webs all over
- Hydraulic clutch lever is dead. Probably lost all fluid and master cylinder gasket is gone
- Front brakes are non operational
- Missing rear mudguard

Got some time to give her a good wash. The yellow paint is flaking when you hit it with the pressure washer... so I´ve managed to find the original colours under the yellow stuff. It was red and black. I´ll post a pic of the colour combination I thought it had. In addition, I took off the shitty black covers the seat has, and found an (almost) perfect RED original seat upholstery... nice surprise.
Socializing:
[/url][/IMG]

After a nice showeR:
[url=https://subefotos.com/ver/?d732e15e56db0e498fa68dd9f0195b0eo.jpg]
[img]http://thumbs.subefotos.com/d732e15e56db0e498fa68dd9f0195b0eo.jpg[/url][/IMG]

Carbs were dirty outside, but cleaned up really well:
[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is how I think it was originally:

Why:

1.- The seats under the black shitty covers are red. And look factory original (and are not in bad condition!)
2.- The yellow paint in the engine heat exits of the fairing is peeling, and red is under
3.- The yellow paint in the bottom fairing "V" (behind the front wheel) is dark gray, possibly black

Wheels are not "gold". Under the yellow paint there seems to be just aluminum.

Well... we will see.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
yes, it does appear to have originally been the red/black color scheme. looks like you have done a good job of cleaning.

get it running and ride it for a while, then decide if you want to make performance changes like USD (upside down/inverted front end).

i'm liking the stock exhaust; i'm finding that loud exhausts are annoying on the street.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts