Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo is acting strangely again - at 30K it died entirely, and I replaced it with a new one - now at an indicated 20K it is acting strange - sometimes it reads zero, sometimes I stop, and it stays at ~75mph.

What I am now wondering is "can I replace the stock speedo/dash with one from a 2k2 750/1000 ?

or is this a really silly idea ?

Anyone done it yet ? I really like the idea of a digital speedo.....

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
The sigma idea sounds good, but if you decide to go that route, you should no that the speed readout isn't instant. It takes a couple seconds for the sigma to calculate your speed.
Before you scrap to stock speedo, check all the wires from the speed sensor on the countershaft cover, to where they plug into the speedo. You could have a loose connector or a stripped wire causing the problem.
My speedo had stopped working, and sometimes would jump up to speed, other times it would "follow" the tach. One small green connector had become loose.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
617 Posts
You could have a loose connector or a stripped wire causing the problem.
My speedo had stopped working, and sometimes would jump up to speed, other times it would "follow" the tach. One small green connector had become loose.
Good Luck![/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That fugging green connector is the vain of my existance. I put so much damn electrical tape, after making sure the connect was snug, that it looks like a little black mummy under my fairing.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been through it really carefully, and have little fear when it comes to electrical stuff.

As far as I can figure it is the dash unit again - its fine during the day - but at night, or when it is cold it behaves badly. The ODO still counts miles, so it has to be the motor that controls the speedo needle.

This is the second failure in 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
its been asked, the wiring is different so no it won't work unless you modify the wiring somehow...

I'd love to get that new dash too but I think what you shoudl consider is a $20 Sigma

the Sigma BC800 I have found for like $18 (I ended up buying mine at REI for Like $25)

it also has a CLOCK (very nice), MAX SPEED, avg speed, 2 trip odo's, etc etc.....

oh and you can set the odometer so you never lose or gain mileage

and check out how I mounted mine, it is high up so I don't have to look down much when I'm riding

1 - 5 of 5 Posts