Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls. Im of course a newbie with a question. Not suprising is it? haha. Well I know Im probably not the first newbie to ever post this but I couldnt find any past information. So if yall dont mind Id love to get some feed back from you guys. Thankyou. Im currently stationed at Fort Hood, TX Im in the U.S. Army and have been for a couple years and some change now. Im currently in the market for my first bike. Im going this weekand to check out a 2004 GSX-R600 (dont bash me, I know some dont think thats the best bike to start with...sorry) Ill most likely be purchasing it if he doesnt sell it before hand. My situation is this. I currently drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 with a lift and big tires and all that hoopla, but my insurance is $300 a month with a $583 truck payment (not to mention poor gas mileage with a very large tank and very expensive gas.) Insurance for me is expensive due to my long list of a driving record...haha (I know I might catch hell for that to) Well my question is this. According to most states bike insurance is not mandatory however on post it is, so Im going to have to be looking for insurance to be able to ride on post. What do you guys recommend I do. I know I will drop the bike and cause damage but a stunt cage will be added to help minimize as much as possible. Do you guys suggest liability or try and see how bad full coverage is? I wanna know what most of yall would decide cause itll most likely have a major impact in my decision. Thanks again guys for any help. Thankyou

Hood, Kyle D.
4th Infantry Division
Fort Hood, TX.

·
Registered
431 Posts
get full coverage, check out state farm, there is a thread on here about them, i pay around 35 a month for full coverage and a 100 deductible on an 03 600.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
IMHO, get a bike that's better suited for learning and MUCH cheaper to insure... There's a reason sport bikes cost so damn much to insure is because too many new riders crash the hell out of them - and even a small crash costs several 1000$ because plastics are VERY expensive. Get a less radical, naked bike (a mid-90s Suzuki GS500E would be my recommandation) and learn to ride properly on that without having to "be careful" all the time. Then sell it in a couple of years for next to the same you paid for it and get the Gix which, by then, will be much cheaper to insure

·
Registered
25 Posts
GIve state farm a try. If you have more than one vehicle on there it can get really cheap. My bike insurance my my 04 600 just got dropped down to 38$ a month. I have quite a few tickets. I'm 19yrs old. That's for full coverage too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't tell you much about Insurance in the U.S. since I'm in Japan paying $150 a year for Full Coverage. What I will say is, what ever you buy get into a Motorcycle riders course quick. I get a Death report every day on Soldiers that die in the Army. You would not believe the number of good folks we lose due to Motorcycle accidents. Most are new riders. To all be Safe!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not sure but I believe that Millitary personnell gets outstanding rates on insurance through AAA. I would try them out....I live here in Indiana and I pay $575 per year on my 03 1k throught Farm Bureau.

·
Registered
283 Posts
EACH PERSON HISTORY AND LOCATION IS DIFFERENT, EACH STATE HAS DIFFERENT LAWS AND REGULATIONS.
IT'S BEST TO BE INSURED ALL UNDER 1 COMPANY, IE HOME, AUTO AND LIFE ETC.
I WRITE FOR LIBERTY MUTUAL, BUT IF YOU ARE NOT OVER AGE 25, NOT FULLY LICENSED FOR A YEAR, AND WE DON'T COVER YOUR AUTO, WE CAN'T HELP YOU.
IT'S BEST TO GET QUOTES FIRST BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THAT BIKE YOU HAVE YOUR EYES ON

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not sure but I believe that Millitary personnell gets outstanding rates on insurance through AAA. I would try them out....I live here in Indiana and I pay $575 per year on my 03 1k throught Farm Bureau.
Im sorry..Its USAA insurance...Its for military only I believe..Try it out and Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I believe USAA has stopped insuring sportbikes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last time I checked out full coverage it was over $3000 for 6 months. I about pissed myself, and got liability for $60 a month.

-GsxrJen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts