Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, what a bad start to the riding season. went down today, i will be ok, but the bike is not as good. 50 mph low side into a ditch. so the damage is what you would expect, all plastics cracked and/or scratched, bye bye turn signals and mirrors. i put it in the garage so i dont know what else. i rode it home. anyway.........

it was my fault, too fast in a corner. i cant afford to fix all the damage. is this something that insurance covers. i have full collision insurance. no one else involved. can anyone give me any insight on how to progress, what to expect etc. im debating making this a track bike, not sure if i want to restore it to stock setup or track setup. anyway, your help and insight would be appreciated since i have no experience going down before.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure what its like down where you are but usually insurance companies need a police report of the accident. Police need to investigate the scene, determine the cause and make a report that the insurance company uses in your claim.

You obviously don't have that, so I guess you would have to call the insurance company and see what they say.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
makes since, but i didnt wanna call the police. a) i was out in the middle of nowhere without a phone, and b) i feared i would also get a ticket for unsafe driving or some such crap ontop of an already bad day.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
na you don't need a police report - thats why you have insurance. things happen. sure the police report helps. but if your agent asks, (and this does happen) just say for example a stupid deer was in the road you tried to avoid it and ended up leaving the road way. you slid a little bit and was fine. Instead of waiting out in the middle of no where so some cop and take your report, and possible sight you for failure to maintain control (which i've received), you then decided to just pick up the bike and go home. and yes this has happened to those i know. u can still make a claim. of coarse you may not keep those pretty rates though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
na you don't need a police report - thats why you have insurance. things happen. sure the police report helps. but if your agent asks, (and this does happen) just say for example a stupid deer was in the road you tried to avoid it and ended up leaving the road way. u can still make a claim. of coarse you may not keep those pretty rates though.
First off, thank goodness your ok.

Good point Gimpsta, you do not need a police report. Just make sure your story is straight if you plan on using the deer or a dog. If your going to lie about it, then make sure you remember your story...

Your agent will then advise you to get an estimate done at your local dealership or body shop. Try to have the dealership bump prices up on the estimate (just to cover the deductible if you have one). In my case, it was a $500.00 deductible. With the extra money on the estimate, the dealership estimate covered my deductible and it was no $$ out of my pocket.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah, my buddy got in an accident the first day he bought his bike. ha, ouch, that definately hurt his ego a bit. but he never got a police report, and his bike wasn't even rideable. we trailered it to my friends house that was right near there and he then filed the claim. everything went fine, the police report would have helped, but it wasn't needed. good luck man, and glad to hear that your ok.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I'm glad you're OK!!!!!!!! I know where you are coming from.......

Now.........

Bump it up?????? My "good old" dealer did that on his own and then I had to clean up their mess afterwords. They said there was $5900 in damage!!!! BULLSHIT! Plus they missed stuff!!! They added so much shit that was not damaged and their prices were ridiculous! Bump it up....... they were going to bump my insurance up and my bike to the boneyard. All they wanted to for me to buy a second bike from THEM!!!!! I fixed it all for a little over $3000. I'm a smart shopper, but then again..... because I did that, my insurance will not be going up a penny.

No police report...... Police reports on motorcycle accidents are usually tickets. (too fast, reckless.....) I got the fuck out of the area FAST...... I didn't want a ticket or report.
No adjuster........
A BS dealer estimate.....
No BS story! I told them EXACTLY what happened!

and they took MY prices with shipping!!!!!
I was honest and fair. I did not take State Farm to the bank or make any profits to put into my bank.

I was fair.
Your story sounds pretty familiar to mine, so the damage will probably be the close to the same...... anything over $5000 is getting close to the death area of your bike. (if it is an 04')

·
Registered
33 Posts
only reason you need cops involved is if you hurt someones property.. roomate crashed his brand new gto last night hitting a poll btw

·
Registered
815 Posts
Bump it up?????? My "good old" dealer did that on his own and then I had to clean up their mess afterwords. They said there was $5900 in damage!!!! BULLSHIT! Plus they missed stuff!!! They added so much shit that was not damaged and their prices were ridiculous! Bump it up....... they were going to bump my insurance up and my bike to the boneyard. All they wanted to for me to buy a second bike from THEM!!!!! I fixed it all for a little over $3000. I'm a smart shopper, but then again..... because I did that, my insurance will not be going up a penny.
Bump it up......... Maybe it's easier when your overseas to have the dealership bump prices up. Dealership out where I am at are pretty cool. They estimated my damages for $3,200, actual price to fix my bike was $1150. I kept the difference!!!! Insurance is still $23.00 a month!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here is the update......

got a call from my dealership today. They said they had to fight to keep it from totaled out. They said they got it down too 5330.00 - Holy crap. My insurance company said anything over 3 grand would be 3 points on my insurance. I was freaking. I had a few parts laying around my garage, tail plastic, exhaust can, rearsets, windscreen etc. So i decided to go down to the dealership to look at the estimate.

All said and done, I haggled out all the cosmetic parts that i didnt need or want, showed him the parts I was going to provide and begged over the labor number. (by the way, did you know they wanted 800.00 for a stock exhaust - who in the hell would do this)

Well, i finally got the final repair number down to 2400.00 whew, i can at least put this on a credit card and pay it off. and i did not involve my insurance company. the only thing that will be noticeable that i couldnt bite the bullet on is that the rear tail section is barely offline from the rear tire, but the 2 rear rails were 260.00 a piece. ouch, i will have to deal with that or fix it another day.

what do you all think??

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Fuck the dealer and do it yourself man! You will save a TON of cash by buying online and your own labor. Fuck skimping on parts! Skimp on the DEALERS PROFIT! Those same rails at Oneida are $207.99, and the dealers prices on EVERYTHING else will be marked up just the same. My dealer wanted $740.32 a piece for the fairings! Oneida.......$459.99. (I didn't get them from them... but you get the point)

Bikes are 85%+ bolt off......... bolt on. How hard is that???

JMHO!

I just went through EXACTLY what you are going through.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GSXR_ROB - yeah i followed your post and your bike looks great now by the way. i totally hear what you are saying and you are probably right. if you can, do you have a link to those rails, i could not find them on oneida's site for an 04 750. I did look at the quotes on parts he gave and i compared them to oneida. I was overall satisfied, he did not charge many any shipping (gave me a 10% overall markdown) and honestly i couldnt say that they were too far from what i would have paid online. but i do agree with you on the labor part, but part of that is laziness. they can do it faster than i can and it comes down to a lack of time for me to get it done.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
GSXR_ROB - yeah i followed your post and your bike looks great now by the way. i totally hear what you are saying and you are probably right. if you can, do you have a link to those rails, i could not find them on Oneida's site for an 04 750. I did look at the quotes on parts he gave and i compared them to Oneida. I was overall satisfied, he did not charge many any shipping (gave me a 10% overall markdown) and honestly i couldn't say that they were too far from what i would have paid online. but i do agree with you on the labor part, but part of that is laziness. they can do it faster than i can and it comes down to a lack of time for me to get it done.
The subframes are the same between the 600 and the 750. (they may have different part numbers) Just give them a call and they will hook you up. I had a couple of parts that were not on the website and they hooked me up. Doing it yourself will increase your knowledge of you bike DRAMATICALLY! I highly recommend this....... HIGHLY! Glad to hear that they were close to online prices....... the dealer that did my estimate told me to get my fucking bike out of HIS store before he started to charge me storage. That was just for telling him his prices were high compared to the prices that I had already wrote up. Sounds like you have been a smart shopper.

By the way....... the rails are supposed to be in on Monday or so at Oneida.... they have been on backorder for a couple of weeks, but they are in transit.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for that info and follow up, i will give them a call.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If your not going to make the claim , definetly do it yourself if your paying for it! For the above reasons.
The money yoou will save will allow you to get the perts you are "bitting the bullit" on.
Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
I found out in a way the hard way and IMHO don't involve Ins. company if no need to, do it your self and save a bit of cash that way

Maybe not at 1st when you look at your bank account but when you look at how much your Ins. rate woulda been if you did make a claim and how much more you would end up paying out!!! Will be cheaper the do it yourself way

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats why i figured as well. ya, im out 2500 bucks, but my insurance would have gone up probably at least 50 -100 bucks who knows, and it doesnt take too many months where paying that more would have equaled paying to fix it myself. its a tradeoff.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ya thats including shipping and labor, all said and done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.