Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing you just cut off the old grips and there is probably no way to save them. If anybody has done this and knows any pointers that would be sweet. Thanks

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
If you really want to save them, take the nozzle straw of the WD40 and stick it up the inside of the grip, give'r a quick spray at intervals as you pull it back out... Clean that stuff off before you reapply the new grips. Use a little hairspray, let it set up once they're on.

I'd say use hairspray to get the old ones off, but the straw won't fit the nozzle, I don't think. If you can figure out a way to get some of that inside the old grips, it'll make them as slippery as the WD40.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey man I just went threw this the other day lol, For the clutch side i just took a butter knife and stuck it in there and moved it around it a circle and it slid right off and i used some alcohol to get the glue off, and i used hairspray to put it back on...now for the hard part, the throttle side, i did the same thing to get it off and worked great, then i tryed to put it on and f$%^d up the grip so i went and bought a new one, your going to have to cut the outer lip off, use a razor blade, its easy and then put hairspray on the new grip and slide it on, here are some pics, hope i helped!

Jon

·
Registered
391 Posts
ya i have those grips also but mine are red/white..nice grips tho hey

ya my old ones..i didn't cut them..but all i did was pull/roll them off..easy as that
but ya wd40 if you have problems or something? but on a hotter day..it'll come off easier due to the..flexiablity..?

and putting them on just ran water down the inside of the grips then put them on

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
btw, remember to shave off the little plastic piece on the end of the white plastic throttle cone. it will tear the grip. I know cause it tore mine and I had to pay 30 bucks just to get another throttle side grip. be careful!

·
Registered
391 Posts
no..what the hell are you talking about...i have the grips like on the photo and i didn't do shit all..just took them off/put the new ones on..maybe you just dont know what your doing! ha

·
Is Sexually Attracted To The Guys on GDC
21,546 Posts
i bought a set of harris grips months ago, just didnt have the time to install them, what part do you have to cut? I will be doing them this weekend

thanks

·
Banned
314 Posts
I just did this yesterday. Use an air compressor to blow the old ones off and to put the new ones on. Be careful not to blow it up like a balloon though. Make sure everything is clean and use hairspray. I've found Rave in the blue can to be one of the best (works great in the tater gun too).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Trust me : You will not need the OEM grips. Cut them off with a razor use it to shave the raised end off of the throttle side then shave off the raised "lines" that run down the throttle itself (white plastic) Using grip glue apply a good amount to the bars and WAIT about 15 minutes before installing new grips (allows the glue to "stiffen" before application) after the alloted time slide the grips STRAIGHT ON using an open hand to "smack" the ends. DO NOT TWIST THE HARRIS GRIPS BACK AND FORTH...THIS WILL DESTORY THE LOGO !!! Sounds silly but I work at a Suzuki dealership and see this everyday....

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
This is the EASIEST way to install them, but you need an air compressor.

-Remove the old grips how you prefer (cutting or saving them).

-Install the new grips by hand as far as you can get them on there without tools.

-Use an air compressor and the spray nozzle attachment and place the tip of the nozzle to where the grip and the clip on bar meet. While applying a LITTLE forward pressure with your hand on the grip, hit it a few times with the air (may only take one shot of air!). It'll go on so easily you'll be doing it for your friends and $15 a piece! hehe!

You can use this method to remove them, too, unless you used a glue.

-J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts