Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I now next time, I'll let the shop do it 馃槄

Bane of the job was the short fat hose that connects the waterpump to the thermostat

First of, the hoseclamp screw was behind the clutch mechanism, so I had to cut the band
then I had to get a tube exactly the length between the bases of the sleeves, sure the old one was nice and flexible, the new one? not so much!
Perseverance overcame the issue, but ignorance had me dicking around bending it 'til I sprained my middlefinger 馃槼
Insult to injury, couldn't get my fuse/relais box back in place, rubbers kept being pushed out, so had to undo the bracket, mount the box to the bracket, re-attach the bracket tot the frame

In hindsight I should have taken off the thermostat connection 馃槀

The rest of the hoses weren't 'much' trouble, the ones behind the engine were somewhat cumbersome to reach

While I had the tank popped and was waiting for the coolant to cool down so I could top it off, I als grabbed one of the old hoses and decided to connect the engine breather tube to the pair hose

All that work, and this is what you get to show for it 馃ゴ馃槅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
you wanted blingy hoses? dafugg...
Nope, for peace of mind I wanted to replace 15 year old hoses that sat idle for most of 13 years until I bought it
(rubber doesn't handle NOT being flexed for long periods of time well)
the "cool-factor" is just a bonus
(b'sides, with the red logos and anodized parts, red hoses don't stick out like a sore thumb, worked with blue 'details' on my black/maroon 750 as well, the trick is not to overdo it)

Premium Member
Nope, for peace of mind I wanted to replace 15 year old hoses that sat idle for most of 13 years until I bought it
(rubber doesn't handle NOT being flexed for long periods of time well)
the "cool-factor" is just a bonus
(b'sides, with the red logos and anodized parts, red hoses don't stick out like a sore thumb, worked with blue 'details' on my black/maroon 750 as well, the trick is not to overdo it)

got it, are these supposed to be good hoses or? I see they have a few colors, was thinking about getting the black set, like you say they are getting old so why not right?

I kinda thought these were blinger hoses for Icy Hot Stunners nekked stunner bikes, silicone has a longer life and can handle higher temps longer sof ro racers and stunners prolly an upgrade?

I could use 2 sets then... I better get new for the 750, its been sitting so long now, just decaying, so sad.. I need to sell a few bikes..

You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
"like you say they are getting old... sitting so long...just decaying "
I have the OEM hoses on my 1969 Corvette.

"hoseclamp screw was behind the clutch mechanism, so I had to cut the band"
The service manual shows the screw located behind the hose at a 45掳 angle. That requires that the clutch cover be removed for access. Strangely the text states that the clamp is located to the left of or ahead of the hose, depending on version. It's possible to locate the screw there, in which case clutch cover removal is unnecessary.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"like you say they are getting old... sitting so long...just decaying "
I have the OEM hoses on my 1969 Corvette.
Yeah, but in 1969 they were also using asbestos firewalls and lead paint
We can argue the advances in technology over the years, but when it comes to the push for more biodegradable plastics the past 30+ years, I have less confidence in the shelf life of more modern plastic parts, then those old formaldehyde/Cadmium/Death-in-a-bottle containing 'polymers' of ages gone by 馃槣

"hoseclamp screw was behind the clutch mechanism, so I had to cut the band"
The service manual shows the screw located behind the hose at a 45掳 angle. That requires that the clutch cover be removed for access. Strangely the text states that the clamp is located to the left of or ahead of the hose, depending on version. It's possible to locate the screw there, in which case clutch cover removal is unnecessary.
"Like a blind man at an orgy, I had to feel my way around" ...and couldn't reach it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts