Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed HID\'s on my K5

finally got around to installing the HID kit I had lying around.

I have only installed these kits on 2 other bikes but the new 1000 was by far the biggest PITA. There is very little room to mount the ballast/ignitor so it was a challenge to rig up something I was happy with. I am still not totally satisfied with the install but it will do for now. As you can notice by the pictures the ballast is clearly visibile through the opening in the side fairing so I blasted the ballast with flat black paint to make it blend in with the bike. Someone with a sharp eye might notice it but for now it will have to do.

Sorry for the crappy quality pictures. I managed to drop my digi cam on the cement floor today so I had to resort to my buddies camera which is quite low tech...rather than taking the time to figure it out I just did the point and shoot. I will take better quality pics later.

For those who might say this is a useless or squid like mod thats fine. However I ride in a area where animals pose a major problem after the sun goes down and it is far away from any artifical lights so when its dark it's DARK...the HID kit does wonders out on these dark back roads.

if you look closely you might spot the ballast

poor poor quality shot of the end result

another crappy quality pic

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Re: Installed HID\'s on my K5

.................Plus you're riding an all black bike, better to have brighter lights to be more conspicuous to absent minded old ladies on the road.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yes, the HID's not only aid in my own visibility but like you said, and even more importantly in my opinion, they make me much more visible to other drivers during both day and night.

·
Registered
419 Posts

The top light is the low beam, and contray to what the tech manual says the low beam stays on with the high beam. The manual says the low beam goes off, not true as another K5 owner proved the other day.

Matt looks good, I offically hate you more than anyone else on this site. My sig tells everyone else that doesnt know why.

Oh and HIDs, mirror ditch and turnsignal mod, tankslapper full protection kit and a ton of anti theft devices are my first year plans. HID truely help you and others see, except retards in Dodge Rams.

·
Registered
104 Posts

How much did you guys pay for the all black K5

·
Registered
406 Posts

Your HID's are awesome! Don't worry about people considering it a "squid mod" as they likely have never driven and/or ridden with HID's before. Did you get the 4300K or higher Kelvin?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

Looks brilliant, definately NOT a squid mod, this is clearly a saftey benefit. I would love a HID setup for my K5.

Oh, could you not put the ballast in one of the side pods on the tail? There's LOADS of room in those things.

·
Registered
419 Posts

You would have to extend the wires from the ballast to the bulbs. A guy I met with an 02/03 R1 did it but he said it was kind of a pain. But could be worth the trouble if your having problems finding room.

The low beam bulb is H7

I got a kit from a local stereo/car shop for $250 CDN I'm sure I could find cheaper but this "generic" kit is really good. Its called Brightstar and I had no problems with it in my 04 R1. In my 01 R1 I had OEM BMW M5 HIDs and the ballasts where so big that I had to have custom CF covers made. The Brightstars ballasts were about 1/2 the size. Now if only the bike would show up so I can have it installed! HAHAHA

Matt I hate you still.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Matt I hate you still.
WOW I really feel the love!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I will take some better photos hopefully today and post them up.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts

bump

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I see this thread lives on...

to answer a few questions. Similar to PureEvil (have you got your bike YET????;) haha), I just bought a generic kit, had it in my last bike and it works great. I bought it from a buddy of mine down in the states who was selling them. Any H7 kit will work just great, you basically just have to choose which color light output you want..i would not go anything above 8000K.

I have only had the chance to take a short night ride and the HID kit performed fantastic. Drastic increase in visibility over the stock setup.

·
Registered
601 Posts

who is selling the best HID's

·
Registered
387 Posts

Good work
Like said NOT a squid mod.
I ride in all conditions and there have been a few times when I've been left wanting more light, which is why I've been looking into setting up HID.

Looks brilliant, definately NOT a squid mod, this is clearly a saftey benefit. I would love a HID setup for my K5.

Oh, could you not put the ballast in one of the side pods on the tail? There's LOADS of room in those things.
I am planing on fitting a single hid system to the low beam projector on my 750 and by using this ballast, I will put it under the right side of the tail and extend the wiring with only the igniter needing to be near the bulb. Where as with ballasts with built in igniters you have to keep the hole thing close to the bulb. Tom will sell individual ballast for $95 shipped in the US and stuff all more for international, but only when he has two buyers at a time to split a pair.

I'm waiting for a second buyer so that I can get mine.

·
Registered
418 Posts

does the HID only work for low beam or would you need 2 units if you wanted high beam and low beam?

·
Registered
387 Posts

You need a ballast for each HID bulb you want.

What globes does the new 1thou run stock?
H7 low and H4 low/high or seperate H7 for each?

If its a individual H7 for high then the problem would be that HIDs aren't suited to being flashed on and off.

There are some bulbs out there that have a actuator that moves the single HID element in and out to either high or low position, but the base of the bulb is some what bigger and clearance could be an issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts