Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished installing HID on my bike last night. My friend was replacing his HID from his car so I jacked one out of the two. LOL. I also replaced the high beam bulb with hyperwhite H4 bulb. It is brighter at night, but during the day, you can't really see the light without having the high beam running at all time. Will post some pictures later.

·
Registered
531 Posts
man, I have a car kit but uses d2s bulbs, and I was just going to buy a h7 bulb, how hard was it to install, did you take the whole front fairing off the bike, and does the h7 bulb for the kit fit perfectly in the projector or did you modified the bulb at all. BTW looks real nice on your bike

·
Registered
222 Posts
I want to do HID's on my k5 but I remember someone here putting them on and needing to do an extra switch because the k5's turn the lights off during start up or something like that. How hard was the install and where did you mount the ballast?

·
Registered
505 Posts
man, I have a car kit but uses d2s bulbs, and I was just going to buy a h7 bulb, how hard was it to install, did you take the whole front fairing off the bike, and does the h7 bulb for the kit fit perfectly in the projector or did you modified the bulb at all. BTW looks real nice on your bike
D2S bulbs will fit with these adapters here at HIDplanet.com It's what I'm running on two K5 750's right now w/Phillips D2S bulbs and Matsushita ballasts!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I want to do HID's on my k5 but I remember someone here putting them on and needing to do an extra switch because the k5's turn the lights off during start up or something like that. How hard was the install and where did you mount the ballast?
Not a problem if the ballasts don't mind! My Matsushita ballasts have a quick-restart feature (or something like that) that will repower the ignitors if they haven't been off for long, so they pop right back on with no problem...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh, and for the install, they look great! BRIGHT squirrel finders too! Those are always nice, my girls are real bright and mine are dim, oh well..

·
Registered
505 Posts
Had mine installed for a few month's now with no problem, and I'm in the desert (Middle East) with almost 100 degree weather at the moment!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The HID on my Gixxer is the McCullough HID. It does get hotter than the halogen bulbs, but I haven't have problem with the melting of the housing. The install was fairly easy. You will need to take your front end apart so you have easy access to swap out the bulbs and find out where to mount your ballast. I mounted my ballast underneath headlight housing. I had to cut open the black plastic piece to fit the ballast.

On my 04 600, i don't have any problems with starting the bike nor turning on/off the HID. When the key is in the On position, the headlight turns on. When i start the bike, the headlights stays on, it does not shut off when I start it. Not sure about the 05 though.

·
Registered
505 Posts
As a general rule, kit's are a bad idea. Cheap quality and the bulb might fit right, but the focal point of the bulb won't be what it's supposed to be. HIDPlanet.com's Forums suggest you only use D2S bulb to H7 adapters in an H7 projector if you're going to be using HID's in a projector that's not made for them, but your cutoff line looks right and there isn't any kinda dim spots from what I can see, and the light looks white and not a blue/purple like most kits, thats why I gave ya props!

·
Registered
505 Posts
where do you guys buy the matshita ballast and bulbs from hid planet is sold out of everything
Check eBay, there's a guy there who sells them OEM, usually puts a pair up a week, sometimes he skips a week, but they usually go for around $100!!! I got mine for like 108 or so, GREAT DEAL 'cuz they're BRAND NEW!!! Then I got the D2S bulbs and H7 adapters from HIDPlanet.com, and then built my own harnesses, they're quite simple!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just used the H7 bulb HID kit. You will need to somehow make the bulb fit tighter though. (I cut out a small piece of foam so the bulb clips in more stable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts