Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,981 Posts
It's not cool the don't require it. Who's going to pay when you crash your bike into my car? Or me on my pushbike? If you want to play with others on public roads, protect yourself and others.
I agree, it's NOT cool. It's not required here in Florida and many people don't even bother with it. Personally I think it's silly to not have your shit fully covered. Like Iron said, the idea is to insure the money spent. At least that way if something unexpected did happen to your ride you'd at least be receiving a check to ease the pain. Should be a no brainer in my opinion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's not cool the don't require it. Who's going to pay when you crash your bike into my car? Or me on my pushbike? If you want to play with others on public roads, protect yourself and others.
If you're going to be on the road all the time yes. Getting a new bike and taking it to/from the shop without having to wait 4 hours at the DMV to get a moving permit or towing it would be convenient. If you're on the road a lot though, not having insurance would be pretty dumb.

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
It's not cool they don't require it. Who's going to pay when you crash your bike into my car? Or me on my pushbike? If you want to play with others on public roads, protect yourself and others.
Abso-fucking-lutely. You would be fucked. An 18 y/o kid with no assets to go after, you're stuck with using your insurance and your rates go up. Ridiculous they Don;t require insurance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Abso-fucking-lutely. You would be fucked. An 18 y/o kid with no assets to go after, you're stuck with using your insurance and your rates go up. Ridiculous they require insurance.
Oh I've got assets. Don't think you'd want to sue me for them though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No, don't want the BMX bike you had before you got this bike. :lol
You sure? I'll throw a card in the spokes. Lol I had a 84 Chevy K30. Only had 13k original miles and was literally like brand new. Kind of a "barn find" kind of deal. Had to replace all the fuel line on both tanks due to the age. I've always had a thing for those trucks but the 454 with the quadrajet gets about 4 mpg on a good day. Surprisingly insurance wasn't cheap for it either.

·
Super Moderator
15,148 Posts
You sure? I'll throw a card in the spokes. Lol I had a 84 Chevy K30. Only had 13k original miles and was literally like brand new. Kind of a "barn find" kind of deal. Had to replace all the fuel line on both tanks due to the age. I've always had a thing for those trucks but the 454 with the quadrajet gets about 4 mpg on a good day. Surprisingly insurance wasn't cheap for it either.
I'm a Ford guy, so I'm sure. :lol

But yeah the 454's will pass everything but a gas station. :lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree. Insurance is essentially required in this era. Have enough to protect your assets. Or else you may end up with garnished wages or a huge lawsuit payout to cover the other driver and vehicle. If you can afford a sportbike, you can afford insurance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just picked up my new GSX-R 1000R in the UK.
Only had my bike licence 3 years, 45 years old, clean licence, been riding a 600 for those 3 years. Just paid £1,100 ($1,400) fully comp, including legal, leathers and breakdown cover.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just picked up my new GSX-R 1000R in the UK.
Only had my bike licence 3 years, 45 years old, clean licence, been riding a 600 for those 3 years. Just paid £1,100 ($1,400) fully comp, including legal, leathers and breakdown cover.
Right on, congrats on the new bike. GSXR1000R is a nice piece.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking into getting a 2018 GSXR 1000R and was also shopping for Ins quote. As many have shared it won't be cheap if you carry full coverage and if you want a newer model year sportbike, $3k plus a year is a common number.

When I went to our local stealership to talk numbers about the bike I was interested in, the rep shared with me that full coverage is a good idea but if you have good credit is not required. Kawi, Suzuki, Yamaha all offer this program as some have mentioned in other posts. The sales person who was talking to me about bikes as I wanted the GSXR 1000R, tried to sway me to consider the R1 as they also had tons of them on the floor. I have no interest in the R1 but love they brought back the Red as it is my preferred color.

With rates being as high as they are for Ins on sportbikes it was brought to my attention while shopping for quotes the number of people who buy them file a lot of claims. With bikes often stolen or totaled in accidents the ins rep was explaining the facotr for high costs. That is why you pay cash for a bike and it allows you more affordable ins options. Not to mention $300 plus a month in Ins payments you would put less risk on the Ins company too. This all ties to the fact sportbikes not selling as much as they have in the past. Area or region may vary of course. The manufacturers are up to speed on this and that is why I mentioned you can buy a new model sportbike and drive away without full coverage. It was offered to me by the staff.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts