Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think you can remove one of the three layers of the headgasket to up the compression. I haven't done it but I was thinking about trying it on my new motor.
I don't know what CR ratio it will give you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
not to sound too stupid, but i will anyway. so raising the compression does what to the speed/quickness? dragracing application?

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
More compression makes more power. If you have a smaller amount of space (with the same amount of gas), when it burns it can create more force on the piston.

I am not sure what the ratio goes up to, but I have done this on my 99 750 and it works great... One of the best mods I have made. I did wait till I had the head off due to other work, but wow...

All you have to do is remove the 4 rivit type holders in the head gasket. Then remove the center layer of it. This will lower the head 9 thousands of an inch.

REMEMBER!!!! ALWAYS USE A NEW HEAD GASKET.

John

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by speeder:
What's the trick in increasing the compression dealing with the head gasket?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Check the deck clearance! My '99 only had .029" with the stock gasket, and .025" is a safe minimum. My '96 needed the 4 shim head gasket to get to .028". Setting it up with the center shim out of a 3 shim head gasket could have been a disaster.

Next, call Cometic and tell them you want a custom Multi Layer Shim Head Gasket. The stock 3 shim gasket is about .028", and Cometic makes them in .005" increments from .015" on up. Have a gasket made that gives the desired deck clearance.

The last one I ordered was ~$75 to my door. They usually take less than a week to arrive. This is also the way to get gaskets for big bore kits.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by wldbil1:
how do i find out what the clearance is? i have a '96 750 motor also.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">According to Suzuki, engines with serial numbers between 101045 and 103951 had the deck clearance problems.

Suzuki Service Bulletin GS/GSX/GSX-R 83 dated 2/27/96 gives the details for measuring the clearance and the recommended clearances for Supersport racing.

I use solder taped to the top of the pistons above the wrist pins. Bolt the head back on and rotate the motor around once with the cams out.

You can tell if the engine has a 4 shim gasket by measuring the little bit that hangs out. The 3 shim is around .028", the 4 shim are around .037".

The 4 shim gaskets were installed to correct the deck clearance problems.

I read somewhere that Suzuki built a tool that went into the spark plug hole that was basically a guide for the solder method. This was so the dealers didn't have to disassemble the motors to check them. I've never actually seen this tool.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i agree call cometic and order a gasket before you cut 1. Also if you have the head of anyway bring it to a machine shop and have it resurfaced. That way it will seal better and take out any warping.i did on my 97 750 had the head milled .010 and used a .025 thick head gasket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when you do this mod do you need to use anything on the gasket like copper coat i thout i read some were that you did help me out guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts