Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous posts mentioned the problem I've been having with my 93 750. I get a loss of power at 9k rpm, like clock work right around 9k through every gear. It's like it loses spark between 9k and 9.5k for just a second, but if you slightly clutch it past that void it will rev up to the higher RPM's. But tonight I took her out in the cool evening air and I couldn't hardly get it to do it, it was running fine, FAST AS HELL!!!!!I Heres what I've done so far, Timing tensioner, and chain free of slack, advanced the startor, I have it to the nut. The carbs are perfect, totally put through the ringer with new factory jets and tuned by a pro, carb boots are clean, no cracks sealed well, new plug caps, plugs, coils are close to new. I just can't figure it out. I think it has to be the thermal ECU problem but how do I know? Please help!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just a guess but it sounds like it might be running to rich. Also, if it runs good before the bike warms up and then starts to tapper off thats another sign it's too rich. Did you check the plugs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the problem happens pretty much right after starting it up, I always let it run for like 15-30 second before taking off to allow oil pressure to cycle. And at first I thought it was running rich too, but I can't be I have ran it at every float level and needle level, and I could tell when I was running rich or lean, I'm sure my carbs are good I just had them tuned and outside of the 9k void, the bike runs great, never any hesitation or backfire. My plugs are lightly golden brown all of them looked the same. Please help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sucks, I thought you guys knew Suzuki's. I can't believe no one here has had this problem. I wonder what they would give me for a trade in at the Honda dealer. Anyone need a parts bike, I'd sell it cheap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
your running too rich, the colder denser air is avctuallly leaning it out and making it run better. just like a car seems stronger with that cold air.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Than why would my plugs look fine?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
This sucks, I thought you guys knew Suzuki's. I can't believe no one here has had this problem. I wonder what they would give me for a trade in at the Honda dealer. Anyone need a parts bike, I'd sell it cheap.
Yeah. go buy a honda. You'd be PERFECT for a Honda

·
Has been Texan longer than the cheerleader
26,430 Posts
Yeah I would have said it was running rich too......... did you use the springs from the Factory Pro kit in it?

·
Registered
167 Posts
its hard to tell w/ plugs, normally the best way to read em is by pulling a quick rip on the dyno on new plugs, even then you need a trained eye.

the reason they may look fine might be because your mixture is very close,not causing huge amounts of black soot on the plugs.

·
26,430 Posts
also this was a Cali model at one time....... how was the emissions equipment removed? How much of the 49 state conversion done? I would definitly look at changing the cams to 49 state specs. to liven that motor up!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
also this was a Cali model at one time....... how was the emissions equipment removed? How much of the 49 state conversion done? I would definitly look at changing the cams to 49 state specs. to liven that motor up!!!
My 96 Cali 1100 was a gut-less shit until I put the web cams in.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All of the emissions stuff was yanked. I replaced the Cali-modelcarbs with 49-state carbs. I used Intuit Racing block-off plates. The ECU is from Bobbychet's old GSXR600. Steve has replaced the airbox-to-carb boots, and I'd replaced the carb-to-motor boots.
Steve, it sounds like you're soooo close. Don't give up, man!!!!

·
26,430 Posts
Maybe I should go plug a 600 ECU into my 750 and see what it does....... I also have that Yosh ECU, I should see what it does as well.

Listen to Kingston......... A Honda is no way to go man!!

Just kidding Kingston!

Before I was known as Gixxerracer317 I was known as VFR Dan here locally.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help guys, I talked with an old dude today about the problem I've been having and he wanted to look at it. Said he could fix it for $5, I laughed and said bring it on. He came by the shop this afternoon and the only tool that he brought was a pair of finger nail clippers. I laughed and asked him if he was going to fix it with those? He laughed and said get your $5 bucks out and went to work. It was fixed before I could wip out my wallet to grab the $5. You'll never guess what he did to fix it. I have banged my head trying to fix this problem since I got it 2 months ago and he fixed it in 10 seconds. Everyone I talked to about it said the same as you guys, the carbs. I just knew it wasn't the carbs I'd been through them too many times, guys, I'm now a carb master. You'd never guess what it was he did.

·
Registered
247 Posts
By the way Iridium Red, piss off. If by being perfect for a Honda, you mean wanting a bike that dosen't weigh 100 pounds too much, and actually works right, and doesn't have it's engine's breathing restricted by archaic frame design, then sign me up. Oh, wait. I already signed up by buying a CBR900RR. I loved the GSXR, but they're not without their share of problems.
Steve's frustrated right now, and your little comment was about fucking stupid.

Don't give up, Steve!

·
26,430 Posts
well.........it's obvious that it was an electrical issue.

I will say this....... go stick the 49 state cams in it for some real fun!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude thanks for knowing what I have been through, like 90-100 hrs on the bike and still didn't have it running right. I was getting pissed, had all I could take, until today. I spent about 8-9 hrs on it today. I pulled the exaust and sanded and painted the entire system, changed oil, pulled the carbs again for like the 20th time, and old dude come over and made my world a whole lot easier to live in, the bike runs sweet now. Wait til you see it Rich, you won't recognize it. It gets body paint tomorrow, I should have it all back together for the summer next week now that it's running good. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put the 49 state cams in it last week, the front end will come off the ground in every gear now if commanded to do so. I spent this afternoon riding it with out the fairings and it is running great. I can't express to you guys how happy I am to finally have it running right.
Yea, Honda WTF was I thinking? HONDA

1 - 20 of 33 Posts