Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody done it? How hard would be to bring one from south of the border. With a CDN getting stronger and stronger compare to USD it would make sense to buy brand new bike on e-bay where you can pick one up for like $9,000-9,500 compare to the $13,500 at the dealer. And $13,500 thats absolute bottom price in Alberta for brand new out of the door (Blackfoot). Some stores selling them for $14,000-15,000.
As far as I understand I will have to pay some customs fee like $200 or so at the border then pay GST. Is that all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a pretty good write up on importing.....seems to be to BC, but should still be applicable to us: http://www.ldrider.ca/importing/importing.htm

Here's the actual government of Canada import site: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Good luck....

Thanks! I've read the riv site quite well before, just wanted to hear a first hand experience. I always thought that you can just drive across the border but with a 72 hour wait period it seems impossible:sad. Would love to fly to US, pick up the bike and drive it back, would be a nice road trip at least.

·
Registered
949 Posts
If you got the VIN and registered the bike (got your tags) couldnt you (in theory) take them with you when you ride it back. How would customs know that you didnt come across with it. You'll have to pay your taxes on it and get it inspected there still.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks! I've read the riv site quite well before, just wanted to hear a first hand experience. I always thought that you can just drive across the border but with a 72 hour wait period it seems impossible:sad. Would love to fly to US, pick up the bike and drive it back, would be a nice road trip at least.
You just need to send the required paperwork to US customs. When the 72 hours is up you can fly to your new bike and ride it back. Don't forget temporary insurance. It is easy to do and you do save lots of $. I saw a brand new GSX-R 600 K6 for $6699! How about new '07 Hayabusas for $8500?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts