Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been looking at buying a new bike lately but living in the UK has me massively restricted and im not a big fan of the options available, iv owned a GSXR600 in the past and would love to get a new GSXR750, as neither the 600 or 750 are sold in UK anymore I was looking into the possibility of importing my own from the US or any other country that still sells the 750. Obviously im aware that shipping costs make it a more expensive way of buying a bike but i feel its justified when you think of the exclusivity of owning a model that is no longer sold in your country.

So i am just reaching out to anyone who has any knowledge, pathways or any advice at all on how to go about importing a new or nearly new bike from US to UK, preferably from a dealership but also open to other options.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
you can license out of country bikes without an inspection?

cost like $1500-$2500 to ship from NYC to Europe (Calais) from there ride it home on ferry, I already researched this for Isle of Mann.. this is the best option, OR Florida is about the same cost, no matter where you purchase the bike in the USA it can be ridden to the east coast and shipped to Europe.. several ways

some companies specialize in this, others you share room in a container so forth.. or find private. various vessels traveling back and forth all the time, most any ship with a hold and crane can do this for you for a fee, my advice is to have bike in the same shipping crate the manufacturer uses, so a dealer will have access to this crate and be able to pack it up and put it on container for you, you would be in Calais upon its arrival to ride it home on the ferry..

don't ask me why shipping is so much more expensive to ship directly to the UK? no idea and no one had answers..

you may have better luck finding answers but folks do this all the time, many have them put in storage or holding till they personally arrive to pick up..

let's say you need the bike for isle of mann on the 29th but during that time shipping is WHACKED, quadrupled, but if you shipped it 3 months prior and payed for storage it's only a few hundred over reasonable for the added storage fee's, it makes more sense to ship early and store 3 months for an extra $300 as opposed to an extra $3000 for exact date shipping.. be sure to insure for FULL value..

it's real easy to do this..

why don't you just go to a non restricted country in europe and take the Calais ferry home? you are aware France lifted HP restriction on Ero5 right? go to France and purchase an anti lock bike and its not restricted and euro5 compliant? avoid shipping fees from USA.

also you are aware all USA bikes are now anti lock mandated right? so there is virtually no difference between a french bike and american.. same bikes, anti lock, non restricted..

·
Registered
170 Posts
The GSXR750 doesn't meet Euro 4 standards so isn't sold anywhere in the EU, nor UK which still uses the Euro CoC roadworthiness standard.

The only way to get a new GSXR750 in the UK would be to privatley import it and register it as a single private import using the Mortorcycle Single Vehicle Approval scheme.

It is probably do-able if you're prepared to pay. The emissions restrictions for a single vehicle approval are a lot more relaxed than Euro 4 type approval.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
France has E5 GSXR's, anti lock... that's not acceptable in the UK? then I don't see how the US models would fare any better, they are all E5 anti lock compliant as well? same bikes?

according to the Article R. 311-1 of the French highway code they can sell E5 bikes with unlimited horsepower as long as they have anti lock brakes..

the 2021 Suzuki sportbikes are ALL E5 standard, they don't make em any other way, why they all have anti lock brakes, even the new GSX1000-S sold here in the USA is E5 compliant, Busa, all of em..

seems to me if the UK has the E5 standard in place then any E5 bike is good to go, doods issue is that most bikes in europe are neutered horsepower wise.. save the French bikes.. try that, then all he has to do is ride it home and not pay the big shipping/licensing fees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the GSXR 1000 is the only GSXR that is E5 compliant, so lets stick to the original question of how to go about importing from US (or any country that sells the GSXR750) to UK. no European country will be selling it so that's off the cards so maybe US or Asia, im unsure. The actual importing of the bike is what id like the most Information on so id like to concentrate the rest of this topic on that :) thanks :)

Just to add, the bike would be a US or Asian model and would need to be registered and tested in UK when it arrives so riding it from a delivery destination would be out of the question.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
wait what? maybe the 2020, but the 2021 they are ALL E5.. yes even the GSX1000-S, the busa, all have anti lock and E-5 compliance..

yup, already seen em here, so not sure why Suzuki would change em for France considering they can sell unlimited HP long as its equipped with anti lock brakes... and the bikes I have seen have anti lock and E5..

we don't even need E5 in the states but that's how Suzuki is making them so that's what we get, why I don't think they're going to change a thing for France and they will simply restrict TB's for any other country with HP restrictions since they are all built to the most restrict controls of any nation, E-5

if you look it up you will see it actually sucks for the USA, cuz they are not increasing HP for any models due to E5, they simply do not want to deal with emissions and noise levels.. or fight that fight

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
maybe Suzuki is not offering the 750 or 600 in the european market, I thought I read last year they are discontinuing them, I get it, so he wants one, the anniversary 750.. I think Japan, Australia and the USA are the only countries?

back to finding shipper, why not just correspond with a dealer near a major port where your shipper will be embarking, if its insured I see no reason the dealer would not deliver it to the port and see it gets on the ship or in the container, you just meet it in spain, take the ferry over, ride it back?

I forgot about Suzuki discontinuing the middle weights, prolly the only reason we get them here in the USA cuz we don't have those restrictions or emission standards, seems they didn't change it at all, at least no electronics like the others, anto lock, traction control, servo sensors so forth, launch blipper and quick shift.. just the mapping so forth, maybe the shifters?

soon as one comes in I'll go give it a ride, see if the wheelie control works properly... :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Importing it will be fairly easy it's just a case of paying the shipper and the customs duties. The problem would be if you want to ride it on the road.

The 750 is not issued with a European CoC so you won't be able to take the "quick" registration route, you will need to effectively homolgate it as a "one off" import or what used to be called "grey" import. The link below is the manual which tells you the requirements for that homologation process.

I imagine that the emisions (Chapter 19) won't be a problem CO% of 4.5 at idle should be a breeze.
Not sure about the headlights though (Chapters 12-13), do the newer GSXRs have a flat cut off on dipped beam? It might be worth trying to source a bike from a country which drives on the left maybe?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just get a headlight from a '11-16 UK spec bike, it's the same bike. That being said, the whole ordeal will add up, at which point you could buy other bikes. Why not just look for a used one? The bike was sold from '11 through '16 in the UK, somewhere there must be a mint one.

I the past I've dealt with many gray market bikes in Mexico, nowadays I won't even entertain the idea. Just getting them insured is a PITA, parts are a problem and when you finally decide to sell it... good luck. It'd have to be something really special for me to even think about it, not a bike that I could readily get.

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
It might be worth trying to source a bike from a country which drives on the left maybe?

only problem there is none of those countries are getting the 750/600, they've been discontinued.. only a few are getting them and none are E5 or anti lock, Japan is right hand drive but I am sure they are not E5 or 4 compliant?

that european union is a hassle, cutting Europe off from getting good bikes, cars too?

need to have another vote, a legit vote, everyone should know by now these votes are very corrupt..

used to be the UK was the place that had all the good fast cars and bikes, RS, Cosworth all that good stuff, the EU has effectively neutered all that...

I think he wants the anniversary bike, its the 100/60 year anniversary... very special, not sure what the bike gets tho?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Why not just buy the 1000 with the money saved from importation? If you don’t want a bike that fast, throw it in C mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its ugly, im really not a fan of the revised 1000 shape and its about £16000, WAY more expensive than the 600 or 750's £8000+ price tag, shipping would never be more than £7000 which is how much more the 1000 is compared to the 750.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fair enough. I didn’t realise the price difference was so big. I disagree with it being ugly though. (I own one). Careful if your thinking of importing from the US. I know the standard US 1000 is restricted where as the uk one isn’t. I’m not sure if the 750 is restricted but thinking about it, it’s probably not. If you can find one in Europe, when Covid has died down why not go on a holiday to another country and buy one, then just ride it home?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i guess ugly was a bit strong lol, i love the front end of the 1000 but the tail end looks a lil too much like it should be on a GSX-S, and yeah the deeper i delve into importing the more put off i am, the thing is i really wanted the 2019 or 2020 GSX-R750 in the black and white paint scheme, one has red accents the the other has blue, but its still mechanically identicle to a 2017 750 you can buy here in UK so i think it might be a better option to buy a second hand 2017 one and figure a way to maybe paint it to get the desired scheme. It has been a fun and eye opening experience to research this tho, and il be keeping the info if found to potentially import an old american classic bike in the future lol

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not a bad idea that. The money saved could even get you a whole new set of fairing so you keep the stock ones mint should you want to sell the bike in the future. Good luck anyhow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts