Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a k5 1000 and have heard all the hype about the power, handling, etc. but for those who have rode it......i mean from the way it sounds the thing has so much power u cant even have a good time on it......is it that hard to keep under control??? are fast take offs possible?? i have been on 600's all my life and just ready to move up.....but not if i cant have fun on it....let me know, thanks alot.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Almost everyone thats gotten the 05 and taken the time to post about it, seem to praise more then its power..

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
I do not think that is the case. The bike is very civil when you want it to be in fact I got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and I had no drivability issues. It actually seemed better in traffic than my 04 750. My only complaint was when the fan kicked on it got a bit warm.

I have got on it very hard and yes it is extremely fast but it is controllable. Yes you can take off very fast. You defiantly need throttle control and to fully respect the bike. I am sure you have read the posts fully warning that if you do not respect the bike and its power it will get the best of you.

It will be a huge jump in power from your 600. You did not say how long you have been riding but if it has not been very long I would not recommend the bike.

And yes the bike is way fun to ride. To date I cannot remember ever having this much fun on a bike except maybe when I was way little and my dad got me a CR80.

Please remember to take your time and get used to the bike before you get on the power. Things can happen very fast on the bike under power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick responses......i have been on 600's for about 4 1/2 years. dirtbikes before that..........I show my bike all the respect in the world, im not some big stunter, but i love the twisties. Compared to the guys i ride with i feel like im a smart rider, but just didnt want a bike that is just a uncontrolable wheelie monster everytime u get on it a little bit, i still want to be able to have a good time. Also, my girl rides with me alot and I dont really like when the wheel comes up with her on the back, she gets a rush but her life i in my hands, so i dont really like it. I really want the bike though. Thanks again for some of the responses.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I love mine.....

It's like a pitbull for the most part...

It's a very friendly and timid beast when you want it to be.......

But LOOK OUT....Cause when you want it to be mean.....It doesn't know when to quit!!!

Love the bike!!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I am looking into buying a k5 1000 and have heard all the hype about the power, handling, etc. but for those who have rode it......i mean from the way it sounds the thing has so much power u cant even have a good time on it......is it that hard to keep under control??? are fast take offs possible?? i have been on 600's all my life and just ready to move up.....but not if i cant have fun on it....let me know, thanks alot.
I was worried about the same thing before I got it. I thought it was going to be like my uncle's KX500 the first few times I rode it. Too big, powerful and abrupt, and wear you out. But it's not.

If you have a skilled throttle hand you can make this thing purrr. The power delivery is very smooth if you have good throttle control. But bear in mind, grab a big handful of throttle and it will feel like you were launched out of cannon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You will not be disappointed. The bike handles better than any 600 I have ridden (FZR 600, 600rr, zx6, R6, gixxer 600)and has way more power.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The power on this bike is extremely controllable. When I was breaking it in, I was constantly varying the RPMs and thought it may be hard to control that much power. But, this weekend rode it 450 miles in the twisties like I would typically ride and it is unbelievably controllable, flickable and powerful when you want it to be. It doesn't ever do anything to catch you by surprise. Definitely, not KX500. More like a KTM 525 EXC if you've ever ridden one of those.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Heh. So far, I think my 525 EXC is more likely to bite me than my gixxer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just picked up my k5 1000 last thurs. and am still in the break in period. Only been riding for a year on a 94 gixxer 1100,(6700 mi.). Keeping it under 6500 rpm leads me to think it is not as fast as it really is. So I still have butterflies in my stomach about opening it up. Sometimes wish I had experienced newer 600's and such to compare this machine to. Feels awesome, excellant ridability, and to those who have ridden it, what do you think about the exh. note at 3500-4200rpm? Sounds kinda like a ducati doesnt it? Very throaty. Anyone hear solid #s regarding horsepower? Top speed? I've been drooling for this thing since october, cant believe I finally own the best production sportbike on the planet. Proven soon in tha bike rags.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
what do you think about the exh. note at 3500-4200rpm? Sounds kinda like a ducati doesnt it?
I think that might be the intake making that noise, not the exhaust

Anyone hear solid #s regarding horsepower?
Anywhere from high 140's to low 170's, who knows?

Top speed?
ECU limited to 186. But it's geared to a little over 200

·
Registered
758 Posts
I hear from every K5 rider near me, that it needs a Aftermarket damper, cause it shakes at top-end runs. Is this true?? I have not taken mine top-end as of yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hear from every K5 rider near me, that it needs a Aftermarket damper, cause it shakes at top-end runs. Is this true?? I have not taken mine top-end as of yet.
Yea it could use one cause i had a pretty bad tank slapper the other night when i set it down but it came out of it so it cant be too bad.... I guess

·
Banned
14,060 Posts
140 on the interstate and it was rock solid. So far the only time I have felt any change in stability is was when I brought the front end down at kind of at an angle due to a left glove malfunction. The bars did a slight shimmy but no slapper.

I have had great luck with the after market dampers and will eventually buy one once I have the funds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts