Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I\'m such an idiot!!

I just thought I'd let you guys know, I just finished adjusting my valve clearances (which took me all day cos I had to keep running to the store for tools). I was in a rush so I didn't check anything. I start it up and jump on the freeway. So I look in my mirror and I see this HUGE plume of smoke behind me. I pull over and I have oil spewing out from my valve cover. About 4 inches of my gasket was hanging out with oil spraying all over the headers. Oil all over the rear tire and motor. Oh well, I guess I should have used a new gasket. I'm just glad I looked in the mirror before leaning it over in a turn.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Re: I\'m such an idiot!!

That sucks!!
I'm glad that you and the bike are OK

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

let me tell you how to fix your problem...first of all make sure that the gasket is not ripped or torn if so then you will have to replace and then do this...take the valve cover off and spray the entire cover with carb cleaner. this will clean all the oil off of it...after it is COMPLETELY dry take some silicone gasket sealer and lighly spread it in the grove that the gasket fits into...after that put your gasket in the groove and allow the sealer to dry and of course wipe all the excess that oozes out off before it dries...after the drying you are ready to reinstall your valve cover...just be careful when you are putting it back on not to hit any of the cam caps because they can knock the gasket out and you won't know it...that's probably what happened to you this time...make sure after you have the cover on that you look it over real carefully to make sure all the gasket is sealing flush against the head surface...also be careful not to over tighten the valve cover bolts because you can strip a cap and those things are a pain to fix...let us know how things work out for you...

·
Registered
195 Posts

How do you fix stripped cam towers I have a motor that has about three or four stripped and then others pretty close. Can they be replaced

·
Registered
17,099 Posts

technically, they can't be replaced because they're manufactured as part of each cylinder head....so the cam bearing journal caps are unique to each one. suzuki does not sell them separately from the cylinder head.

however, that doesn't mean that you can't swap them between motors, just that suzuki does not recommend it.
i've done it before with no problems, but there's no guarantee about it working right.

if the threads are stripped, they can be helicoiled, but it's tricky because - depending on what bike you have - the caps can be very delicate and can crack fairly easily.

try getting them helicoiled or timeserted....it's worth a shot.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]</p>

G

·
0 Posts

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fastbugtlr:
How do you fix stripped cam towers I have a motor that has about three or four stripped and then others pretty close. Can they be replaced<hr></blockquote>

Sims & Rohm made an oversize kit for replacing the cam tower bolts with bigger ones.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Regarding the stripped cam towers. There are the oversize bolts, I think APE has them as well, you end up rethreading the holes to 8mm x 1. I've done a number of heli-coils on mine, I had to hunt a bit to find the right kit (the bolts are 7mm x 1 which is kind of odd) but have had nothing but success putting them in. When you strip the old threads the hole ends up right about 6mm which is the pilot hole size for the helicoil, so all you do is tap and thread in the coil. If you haven't done anything like that before maybe it's worth taking it to someone but otherwise get a heli-coil kit and cut loose.

Matt

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well, I get payed tomorrow so I'm going to get a new gasket (the old one had ripped). A couple of the holes in my head are also stripped. I may have to do the helicoil thig too.

Anyone know where I can get a kit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts