Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I\'m not happy...yet

No, I don't have it Dyno'd yet.

Because I'm waiting on two things...which wire in the back of the tach is for the Dyna 2000? black w/red is not a choice.

and more annoying is the air filter problem. K & N claims they don't make a filter that will fit. The 38mm carbs I've fitted won't allow the filters to fit...they bump into the angled part of the frame on both sides. Surely I'm not the first to put 38mm's on this motor/frame...what has someone else used?

Otherwise I'm ready.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I\'m not happy...yet

Trap-a-what? Oh, wait...my daughter has blocks resembling that shape...what size sledge hammer should I use?

G

·
0 Posts

Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
Trap-a-what? Oh, wait...my daughter has blocks resembling that shape...what size sledge hammer should I use?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Use the same sledge hammer that you've been using to pound your head with over this whole delima!! When you are done your head and your filters will be the same shape!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Got the same problem when I fitted the '91 750 engine in my '86 frame. I cut a hole in the K&N filters (twin oval) to make them fit. The hole was then closed with some aloy tape. Didn't look nice but it worked.

The problem became worse when I fitted an 1100 engine with a 750 head because the carbs are more upwards. This time I've fitted some UNI foam filters on my 36mm Mikuni CV's.
Still doesn't look nice but it works.

Check the links fot pictures.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Ok three things: Are they individual filters? If not then get individual they will be easier to form them so that they will fit better.
Are the 38's flatslides or cv? Flatslide I would just run with open stacks, more air = more power. And last if none of that works give the motor to me before you get too frustrated

·
Registered
978 Posts

if you have 4 filters just smash the end ones a
little thats what i did on my 87 1100 can't even tell eather

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts

Simon, I think K&N are full of their own shit...hell, their own catalogue is so full of stuff that I think the Space Shuttle would be a candidate.

Though not an oiler '86 750, my dual BMCs use up a shitload of room as well as having extensions on them....so..hmmmmm. Did you talk directly to K&N or some shop guy?

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I had talked to K&N in Colorado on Tuesday...they told me they could make me a set of custom filters for roughly $300, they were going to give me a formal estimate next week...

But Jeff's suggestion worked like a dream...I never doubted him...So I owe him $300 and a big-ole-kiss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts