Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 92 gsxr 750 that had been sitting for the last 2 years. The previous owner pretty much ran the bike at the track. It has high lift cams, a ported and polished head, stage 3 jets and a vance and hines supersport exhaust. when I bought the bike it was not running, so I rebuilt the carburetors and it fired right up. The only problem was that the bike would not idle with the choke all the way in. I took the carburetors back off and re-cleaned the pilot jets and now the bike will not start. What I thought was the carburetors seems to be an ignition problem. I checked the coils and the signal generator and both of those checked out fine. I still am not getting much spark at the plug. What would be the next thing that I should check in the ignition sytem???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Klipsch_gixxer:
check advancer
, but what is the color of the plugs , you may still have a jetting problem
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I purchased brand new plugs and after riding the bike down the road a couple of times they had a little buildup on them but not to much that it wouldn't start. I have been checking the spark by pulling the plug out and checking it against a ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Klipsch_gixxer:
look at you timing (advancer) make sure its set right and also check the impedance of your coils
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I looked in the clymer manual and couldn't find anything about checking the timing advancer. How do you recommend I go about checking this. The coils check out fine.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
hold on......before, the bike wouldn't idle with the choke closed, but after you cleaned out the carbs the bike won't even start at all?

that doesn't sound right.....why would the bike not even start with clean carbs? did you check to make sure you're getting gas? it's not difficult to forget putting the petcock vacuum line back on after you reinstalled the carbs.....

p.s. benchtesting coils won't tell you much - it'll only tell you if the coils are bad (e.g. if you get discontinuity across the primary windings, you know there's something wrong), but not necessarily that they're good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by jeff:
hold on......before, the bike wouldn't idle with the choke closed, but after you cleaned out the carbs the bike won't even start at all?

that doesn't sound right.....why would the bike not even start with clean carbs? did you check to make sure you're getting gas? it's not difficult to forget putting the petcock vacuum line back on after you reinstalled the carbs.....

p.s. benchtesting coils won't tell you much - it'll only tell you if the coils are bad (e.g. if you get discontinuity across the primary windings, you know there's something wrong), but not necessarily that they're good.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes the carburetors are getting gas, I checked all four bowls and they are full. So what would you recommend replacing the coils? With brand new spark plugs the bike was getting enough spark to start.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My guess is it could be a spark problem, but I doubt there's anything wrong with the coils. I would re-gap your new plugs, make sure the plug wires are on right, and MAYBE set the idle and clean out the idle jets. Just guessing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
sounds like the problem I had last week. (see my treads if they are still on)

mine would not start, checked everthing plugs, coils, timing & fuel etc.

It turned out to be the HT leads. when I tried the plugs in them, earthing the plug on the engine case etc. they would spark fine but when they were in the engine the current was arcing from the leads to the head and not reaching the plug. put new leads on and now it is running perfect.

The strange thing is that my bike was running fine. I had got it out for a ride, only been running for 20secs and it just stopped dead & could not gett it to start at all until i put new HT leads on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by gixxerpower:
sounds like the problem I had last week. (see my treads if they are still on)

mine would not start, checked everthing plugs, coils, timing & fuel etc.

It turned out to be the HT leads. when I tried the plugs in them, earthing the plug on the engine case etc. they would spark fine but when they were in the engine the current was arcing from the leads to the head and not reaching the plug. put new leads on and now it is running perfect.

The strange thing is that my bike was running fine. I had got it out for a ride, only been running for 20secs and it just stopped dead & could not gett it to start at all until i put new HT leads on
[/QUO

I am going to check the wires and all of the grounds. I don't have a spare set of coils to put on the bike so my only choice there would be to buy a set of aftermarket coils. My bike also ran fine except for it not idoling with the choke all of the way in, and then would not start.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by jeff_janssen:
make sure the coil wires are in the caps . I would take them apart and cut back alittle and put them back in.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">thats a good idea the bike has been sitting for two years so the cables could even be corroded

1 - 13 of 13 Posts