Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Swears off Women, for hot man loving
2,263 Posts
My dealer told me Not to use the kill switch all the time, due to the sensitive electronics of the machine. It is said to cause an electrical build up. That can over time damage ECU's (Electronic Control Unit) and CDI's (Computer Driven Ignition) But anybody who wants to try it. Just crank your bike up and kill it over and over again witht kill switch. and let us know if anyting what happend.
Dude, don't try to make up your own acronyms to sound cool lmao, CDI stands for Capacitive Discharge Ignition.

Oh, and your dealer sounds like a twat. A phrase comes to mind, when you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit. You got the latter of the two.

When you should use the kill switch:

Whenever you can get close enough to the buddy you're riding with to hit his.

LMFAO, I always hated that shit. My friend scott used to tag mine at random when I wasn't even paying attention to his ass.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
with my morning coffee, i just opened richard maybury's monthly economic report. his focus this month appears to be on dumbasses:

"after a 50 years of studying history the conclusion i've come to is that this planet is a intergalactic space alien's high school science project to demonstrate that intelligent life can arise here. but the project is a flop! when the bush administration leaves DC in january, the average IQ will rise. whichever candidate replaces them, the gain will be wiped out. the only thing obama brings is charisma. the only positive thing mccain brings is that he isn't obama":crying

now stay tuned here, this is really fuggin simple!

you use the kill switch when you need to turn off the engine but cannot take a hand off the handlebars to reach the key!

you decide when that might be. :dunno

stop going to stealerships who feed you garbage about not using a fuggin switch!

·
Blithering Idiot
2,306 Posts
The reason u should always use the key instead of the switch is because the key kills power to evrything... the switch kills power to the ignition but your headlight is still on and for new riders this can often result in standing around with the buddies while your battery drains, then getting on a bike that wont start. This happened to me all the time until I just started using the key only.
Use the kill switch! and if you leave the light on, you're a squid... *kill switch... key, kill switch... key* If the stand is down, the key is off! (unless your worling and need it on of course...)

·
Pathalogical Poser
6,571 Posts
Use the kill switch! and if you leave the light on, you're a squid... *kill switch... key, kill switch... key* If the stand is down, the key is off! (unless your worling and need it on of course...)
big words for a guy with less than a month riding experience...

Just to prove you wrong, I never use the kill switch on my bike, nor did I use it on any of my previous bikes. Nothing bad has ever/ever will happen because of it. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to realize how the electrical systems on engines work... not using the kill switch will cause NO harm... using the kill switch will cause NO harm... just personal preference.

Obviously if you need to kill the engine without taking your hands off the bars, the kill switch is a much better option than the key...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
i use the kill switch because the lights will stay on but the motor shuts off. this may come in handy at night if you ever get pulled over, or for any other reason that requires you to be visible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love threads like this.

My question is how come other vehicles don't have a kill switch? If they are needed on bikes why not cars?

Also my mrs could do with one for those times when she needs to be switched off in an emergency ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just to prove you wrong, I never use the kill switch on my bike, nor did I use it on any of my previous bikes. Nothing bad has ever/ever will happen because of it. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to realize how the electrical systems on engines work... not using the kill switch will cause NO harm... using the kill switch will cause NO harm... just personal preference.

Obviously if you need to kill the engine without taking your hands off the bars, the kill switch is a much better option than the key...
Thank you....
I'm not going to sit here and say that I know everything or even a lot about bikes. I just got mine 2 weeks ago and before that I hadn't ridden in like 2 years but while reading this forum that's exactly what I kept thinking. Do it however you want to. Whatever feels the most natural to YOU the rider not the guy riding next to you. (unless you want to do it to him....LOL haven't done that before)

·
Registered
56 Posts
It might have been mentioned before, but MSF course teach to use the kill switch every single time no matter the bike. It get you used to it(muscle memory) and when you really need it, you'll know exactly where its at, as opposed to being acquainted with it for the first time.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
or you could do the normal thing and skip the WHOLE part about hitting the switch and THEN turning the key, by just simply turning the key :dunno?

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my ski doo its a must, but my '88 "7-11" got used once when the valve cover bolt backed out and was blowing oil all over the left side of me and the bike. I though I was on fire and hit the kill switch and came to abrupt halt and jumped off the thing. Guy in the house I was in front of, came out with a fire extenguisher, but it was only smoke.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
never use the switch, because whenever I turn the bike off I lock it.
But I tried it one time, then the next day I didn't know why it wouldn't turn on :p

·
Just call me "nubs"
575 Posts
It might have been mentioned before, but MSF course teach to use the kill switch every single time no matter the bike. It get you used to it(muscle memory) and when you really need it, you'll know exactly where its at, as opposed to being acquainted with it for the first time.
The MSF course also teaches you to stand the bike up and hit the brakes if you enter a corner too fast on the street. :rolleyes I use the key. It doesn't fucking matter. These newer bikes have tip over sensors if you crash anyway.

·
Banned
517 Posts
The MSF course also teaches you to stand the bike up and hit the brakes if you enter a corner too fast on the street. :rolleyes I use the key. It doesn't fucking matter. These newer bikes have tip over sensors if you crash anyway.
:nonoyou dont want to crash:hammer right i used the kill switch on my 85 when hard on gas let off and bike kept making power limped home tore apart carbs and found needle lost its c clip and slide on number 2 cylinder was hanging open scary shit:scared

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen a thread go for 8 years, especially one on such a simple subject.:lmao

Oh and since I stuck my nose I'll say I key it everytime. Been doing it for 16 years, even though when I taught the MSF I stressed using the switch.

·
Registered
257 Posts
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You dont know how many times Ive watched my roomate not be able to start his bike (because he forgets to turn on the kill switch) He himself would be a terrible thief... hehe[/QUOTE]

:lmao Same thing used to happen to me when I had my first Gixxer. Did it once in front of some really hot girl who liked my bike, and she says, "Try this first." *flips kill switch* Need I say that I wanted to die right then and there? :suicide

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use the kill switch every single time i dismount the bike and upon getting on i fire it up. I actualyl do this for my own selfish reasons. I hope that one day someone tries to take my bike and i catch them in the knick of tme and they're panicing becuase it wont turn on and theyre not even thinking of the kill switch being disengaged and i beat them within a quarter inch of thier life and then steal thier wallet and mail him a sweet note (got the adress from his license) that says, i'm sorry but next time go through the proper steps of starting a motorcycle. Just to add insult to injury.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts