Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a problem with my '86 GSXR750G where I can't get any spark at all. Both coils are dead which had me thinking it must have been something to do with the wiring or the ignitor box.

I've just tested the coils and the primary coils are showing no resistance at all. Fucked?!?!

If that means they ARE fucked, is it possible that they would've both packed up at the same time? (because they did)

Assuming the answers to the two questions above are "Yes" and "Yes" what's the best coils to get (second-hand) for it?

If the answers include a "No" anywhere, Shoot me. I don't wanna go on anymore......

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
assuming your ohmmeter's okay, then yes, the coils are fucked.

the oem suzuki coils from that era are pretty shitty (in my experience), so this would not surprise me.....particularly if both coils are the originals.

i'd spring for a pair of dynas....they take standard automotive ignition leads and the pair will probably run you not much more than a single new oem suzuki coil. the dyna's mounting holes don't line up with the stock mounts, though, so you'll need to find a different place to mount them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Jeff. I've already priced the Dynas and their a bit out of my price range at the moment though
. Any idea which model had a decent pair I could pick up from a breakers?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Keep your eyes open on ebay, I picked up a pair of dyna's pretty cheap.

Jeff, you said that regualr automotive wires will work? Is there anything I should look for, I need to replace mine.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
you should be able to use any gsxr coil up to about the 95 model year or so.....really, any dual-output 3 ohm coil will work, but you might run into minor fitment issues at the spark plug boot if you use a non-gsxr coil.

the problem (particularly with electrics) is, if you pick up a secondhand set of coils, you'll never know if they're good or not until you install them. if the salvage yard is willing to take them back if the coils are bad, then that's good, but if not, then you'd be stuck with a second pair of fucked coils.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
p.s. i should mention that you might run into some electromagnetic interference issues if you use the 1988 or newer coils and wires....those bikes depended partially if not completely on the use of resistor-type spark plugs to suppress emi. so it's possible that if you run these coils on your bike, the ignition may throw out more emi. i personally haven't seen the extra emi interfere with the bike's ecu, but i've seen it interfere with some aftermarket (unshielded) gauges. just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Dunno if this helps or not, but when I had an `86 and the coils died, I used a set of OEM (don't gag) Kawasaki GPz 750 coils that just *happened* to be taking up space in a friend's garage at the time... the holes weren't in the same place, but they were close enough to mount the top and I made a bracket for the bottom holes. The other cool thing about the kaw coils is that they were designed to be able to swap out the high-tension wires, so you can use the Suzi ones and keep your spark-plug boots. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I use a 6volt coil from an rg or rd 350 Yamaha wired in series with automotive wires that are solid core with no resisters in the boots as they are replaced with silicone ones, also non resister plugs and I do not have problems with emi. The coils are mounted above the carbs betrween the frame rails, but you will have to run KN's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.