Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Ignition barrel removal

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JAG1 
#1 ·
Sun is back out again over here so I'm trying to get my bike back on the road after the thieves had a go at it.

The damage they have left me with is chopped wires and a knackered but still functioning ignition barrel.

After being quoted nearly $200 for a new barrel, I've decided to stick with the slightly damaged barrel. My problem is I need to re-wire it. Sounds simple enough, bollocks is it! I've taken the top yoke off the bike but I can't get the barrel off the top yoke! Tried doing as the service manual says but I'm getting no where!

Anyone done this before? Have any tips?

Cheers
Phil

#2 ·
Phil the barrel is probably held on with those tamperproof torx screws
I not sure on the size of the torx bit ,Do a search in this section (watercoolers)
and there was some more info on ignitions posted last month.
otherwise you might have to drill em out,that sucks.
Regards, Bobbychet

#3 ·
I Removed mine by lifting the top yolk off the forks this allows you to turn the yolk over just enough to drill the screws out the screws. They are not hard and are easy enough to drill. Start off with a small drill bit and work up though as it is easy to slip off and munch the alloy housing. Simply replace the screws with cap heads. Good luck if you go for it!

#4 ·
I bought a brand new ignition barrel off ebay for $47.00 including shipping. Mine was faded and you couldn't read the text on it. Being a perfectionist, it had to go. Just take the top triple off, flip it upside down. Drill the heads off the permanent bolts. Barrell slips right out.Then reattach with new allen head bolts of the appropriate length. It even comes with a plug on the end of the wires so it is just plug and play. Even if it didn't, I don't think anything could be easier to splice in. Good luck.

#9 ·
Pull your gas tank and the ignition switch is the green 4 wire plug, then you can pull the triple and ignition as 1 piece.

I cleaned mine up by polishing it. But using an electric sander with say 200 grit or so across the flat top part that keys scratch up would give you a decent machine look finish to it. They sell carbon look cutout stickers that fit over it to cover up scratches to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.