Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still thinking about a Factory ignition advancer on my 1127 motor but I can't get any usefull information if it really makes a difference. Some say it might, others tell me it's not worth the money.

I've got a '89 1127 motor with a '89 750 head and 6 speed, 1127 camshafts, 36mm Mikuni CV's, individual UNI foam-filters, 2.2 Ohm Dyna coils and a Laser Prof-race 4 in 2 in 1 exhaust. The carbs are still stock, so without any carb-kit.

My main concern is that the power comes in too 'late'. I want more low down grunt!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Jet that bad boy. I would assume that thoes stock carbs are keeping that engine from really comming alive.
The ignition advancer I think is a matter of opinion. I had one and did not notice a difference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Originally posted by Airhead:
I'm still thinking about a Factory ignition advancer on my 1127 motor but I can't get any usefull information if it really makes a difference. Some say it might, others tell me it's not worth the money.

I've got a '89 1127 motor with a '89 750 head and 6 speed, 1127 camshafts, 36mm Mikuni CV's, individual UNI foam-filters, 2.2 Ohm Dyna coils and a Laser Prof-race 4 in 2 in 1 exhaust. The carbs are still stock, so without any carb-kit.

My main concern is that the power comes in too 'late'. I want more low down grunt!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am going to dyno my 1127 tomorrow. My bike is a CA bike with lower advance than the 49 state bikes. I will be making a run on the factory CA CDI box and then on the 49 state box. There is 6 more degrees with the 49 state unit... Time will tell...

CT

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I *just* went through the dyno thing with my `89 1127 motor. Mine is all OEM inside, 4-2-1 Hindle system, config 3.0 jet kit, and I'm running +4 advance over stock (I just slotted my pickup-coil mount-plate). What I can tell you is that on the dyno, with no advance at all, and stock carbs and airbox, I got a decent torque curve, and it topped out at 127HP and 80 ft-lbs. I put the jet-kit in it and got it dialed in on the dyno, and the mid-range didn't get any noticeable changes (the traces overlapped each other almost perfectly compared to stock airbox) but I did pick up 4HP and 4 ft-lbs over the sotck carbs/stock airbox. *THEN* I put the advancer in and played around with that... at +4, it moved the whole trace down the RPM range, and there is a spot at about 4,500 RPM where it's crankin' out 10 ft-lbs more than without the advance... I didn't lose any torque ANYWHERE in the trace, and the peak didn't change, but it *reaallly* made the bottom and mid-range come alive. One other note: I'm a cheapskate, and I burn 87 octane fuel all the time, so that's what we did the dyno-tuning with as well... no pre-ignition or other nastiness, and I know it's not summer yet, but I'm not noticing any increased heat output either.

I'd say that the ignition advancer is prolly the *best* bang-for-the-buck out of any of the mods I did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by suzukiltd:
Jet that bad boy. I would assume that thoes stock carbs are keeping that engine from really comming alive.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, I haven't decided what to do with the carbs so that's why they're still stock 36mm.

Originally posted by Wolf1100L:
Put the Bandit's cams in.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is this as straight forward as it sounds? Just drop in the Bandit cams, or do I need more mods to make it run good?

Thanks for all your replys.
I guess the next step will be a Dynojet-kit, an ignition advancer and if I'm still nog satisfied, some B12 cams or maybe even a complete B12 engine.

·
3,476 Posts
Airhead said:
I'm still thinking about a Factory ignition advancer on my 1127 motor but I can't get any usefull information if it really makes a difference. Some say it might, others tell me it's not worth the money
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hell yeah it works. For me it was the most noticable bolt on increase. My bike has stock internals, and I think I paid around sixty bucks. I can drink more than that in one night, so I couldn't see not trying it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There are a lot of B12 owners out there who want more performance for their Bandit and they are lusting for GSXR cams. Just find one, perhaps with the help of your dealer, and offer to swap the cams. Result: Both parties are happy. It's that easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts