Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fastcat posted a page from the repair manual stating some differences in the CA model versus the 49 state 91 1100. Carbs are different but its just the needles. Cams are the same.. CA has air injection. I have that ripped off now. All I need is a jet kit (might have one already) and to have the 49 state advance.

I am unsure if the difference in timming is done at the pick up or the CDI box. Can anyone help??

I found a CDI box for sale and it has these numbers on it:

32900-40c20
131800-5300
TNBF16
12V
E

Can anyone confirm if this is a 49state box? For that matter.. Can anyone confirm if the difference is advance is in the box or in the pickup/plate? I hate to buy it and find out that the difference is in the plate/pickup... I just want to buy parts once:)

Thanks guys!!

Clark

·
3,476 Posts
My suspicion is that the timing is controlled at the pickup plate. I'm sure someone will have an answer with certainty, but while your at it I would use an aftermarket ignition advance plate. An advance of four to five degrees ahead of a stock 49 state model will give you a very noticable power gain. Cheap

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by Ragnar:
My suspicion is that the timing is controlled at the pickup plate. I'm sure someone will have an answer with certainty, but while your at it I would use an aftermarket ignition advance plate. An advance of four to five degrees ahead of a stock 49 state model will give you a very noticable power gain. Cheap
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is my bet too, at the plate. And if we're wrong, it'll probably still be better than stock. In the "tips & tricks" section of this site there's a do-it-yourself ign. adv. how-to, if you want to go that route.
I was just thinking that maybe there is no difference in timing between Calif & 49 staters. If the cams are the same, maybe the air injection was enough?

[ 04-22-2002, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: 88/750 ]

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
see, if you guys had tried fastcat's suggestion of looking up the parts on bikebandit.com, you'd discover that:

- 49 state and cali ecu's ARE different
- part number 32900-40c20 is for the 49-state ecu

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by jeff:
see, if you guys had tried fastcat's suggestion of looking up the parts on bikebandit.com, you'd discover that:

- 49 state and cali ecu's ARE different
- part number 32900-40c20 is for the 49-state ecu

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Jeff.. I did look up the part numbers. You assumed I did not..

I checked and I do have the 40c10 ECU. The plate looks to be the same. I am trying to find a CDI box now. With some luck I can turn one up.

Cams are still up in the air... The book says they are the same while people swear they are different.

CT

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by azgsxr11:
Jeff.. I did look up the part numbers. You assumed I did not..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i only assumed that because on the fiche it clearly states that the 40c10 ecu is 'california only'....but you still asked for confirmation on if the 40c20 ecu was the 49-state ecu.

you can't get much more accurate than the parts fiche regarding these things....

Cams are still up in the air... The book says they are the same while people swear they are different.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">again, when in doubt, look it up in the fiche.

it does not list different 'california only' cams.....so you can rest assured that there are none.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Make sure it's not a CA CDI before you bid, check this out clicky-click

Oh yeah... just because the cams are the same doesn't necessarily mean that the cam *timing* is the same. I don't have any specs in the service manual about cam timing, and bikebandit doesn't show a different part# for CA camshaft sprockets, so maybe that's just a shot in the dark, I dunno... The CDI alone can make quite a lot of difference in how a bike performs though. One other thing... if you're *not* planning on installing a jet-kit, I have the OEM fuel-needles out of my `89; one of them is damaged (don't ask me how, was like that when I got it) but they're yours if you want them.

Worst case, slot your ignition pickup mounting plate and advance the timing that way; as long as you don't get any pinging, you can't hurt anything like that.

[ 04-24-2002, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: FastCat ]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by azgsxr11:
Jeff.. I did look up the part numbers. You assumed I did not..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i only assumed that because on the fiche it clearly states that the 40c10 ecu is 'california only'....but you still asked for confirmation on if the 40c20 ecu was the 49-state ecu.

you can't get much more accurate than the parts fiche regarding these things....

True.. I am using that site frequently and it has come in handy a few times now...

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">again, when in doubt, look it up in the fiche.

it does not list different 'california only' cams.....so you can rest assured that there are none.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thats good news... Thanks for your time.. All I need now is a 40C20 CDI box and an some time to do the igntion advance mod.

By the way.. Not sure if you have been reading the posts about me complaining of a lack of power
I found one big power robber last night

I decided to check the air filter. This is a 91 with 33,000 on the clock. We all know how much of a Pain in the *Y*^% it is to get to the air filter... I was guessing it had never been changed.

45 minutes later I had the Air filter out. Good news is that its a K&N. Bad news is that it was clogged solid with Black dirt and Crap. The K&N has folds of filter in a grid type pattern. Those "V's" where packed solid with crap to the point where the inside appeared smooth and round. I could not even see the screens at all! How this bike ran and passed smog I will never know.

I had to soak the filter and scrub it three times to get that crap out. Its now clean and reinstalled. I have not ridden the bike yet but I have high hopes. I had set my idle to 1100 and now with the filter cleaned the bike idles at 1700!! I had to take a full turn out of the idle screw to get it to idle back at 1100!

Funny... Dont over look the little things... I bet that filter was installed in 91 when the bike was new. 33,000 miles later it got its first cleaning.

CT

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't forget to re-oil the k&n (just don't over-oil it)...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah.. I did. I had a recharge kit. I always use a very light spray of oil. I am used to using them on cars with hot film Mass air flow sensors. The MAF's dont like the oil

I am going to ride it tonight. I bet its got a ton more power.

CT

·
Registered
15 Posts
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah.. I did. I had a recharge kit. I always use a very light spray of oil. I am used to using them on cars with hot film Mass air flow sensors. The MAF's dont like the oil

I am going to ride it tonight. I bet its got a ton more power.

CT
11 years later.... so how'd it ride? :burnout

1 - 12 of 12 Posts