Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I\'d say this means my fan is dead, you?

My cooling fan hasn't worked for quite some time, so I decided to finally diagnose it. (I was encouraged by the headlight fix taking 1 minute - loose connection). I read up my service manual and figured I'd try giving it a solid ground at the thermo coontroller switch. That didn't work but didn't feel conclusive so I started moving along the wiring to find out where the closest connection to the fan was. I found the connector coming off the thermo-controller switch and tried ground there too, no luck, then I found the connector coming right off the fan. Good deal. I tried connecting a couple of wires from my battery to the appropriate connection, and no luck (yes it was on the fan side of the connection
lol ). Just to be sure, I tried checking with a volt meter, to see if current was running through the fan, but it doesn't look like it. It reads 0.0 when I'm running positive right into the fan's power and the voltmeter between the fan's ground and the negative terminal. I had to replace the radiator when it sprung a leak a year and a half ago, and I think I may have put the fan on that came with the used radiator instead of the original one. Wish I'd tested em, I'm thinking I fixed the radiator and added a broken fan

Anyway, that seem like a pretty solid diagnosis to the rest of you? There's a chance that the wires between the end of the connector and the fan motor are broken somewhere because the wire was close to the motor instead of in the harness clip to keep it a little further, but the protective tubing is solid everywhere except one spot where it's rubbed and split, but at that point the wires are good.

Finally, if someone near the Pugent Sound has a good fan layin around...
All the ebay fans are "as is"
They could atleast say "it worked when I hooked it up, but it's as is" or something.

Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I\'d say this means my fan is dead, you?

Well I was running 12V directly to the end of the fan's wires - I had disconnected them from the wiring harness and everything. The wires are hard wired into the fan so I can't test it literally at the fan, there's no closer connection or anything.

You can see in this image what I mean about the wires being hard connected. The end of that is where I connected straight from the battery.

(ebay pic)

·
Registered
7,886 Posts

Kaneda I think I have one layin aound or you can have my old one that's on my bike now. I picked up a brand new OEM one from Anderson vintage parts.
Want to do it over here in tacoma? I have a Garage.
Bobbychet

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

mmmm the wires might be broken too....Since that fan is not working, Id cut them and see if I can make it work....

But if I was offered a replacement fan, Id try that too....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.