Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's time to do the 11000 miles service on me bike so I started with checking the brake pads. Rears were worn out so went to the local M/C Shitty for pads and plugs. They didn't have the pads but the very nice guy there gave me half a can of brake cleaning spray for free. Came back home and found the pads at Aprilia dealer accross the road!!Determined to clean the calipers thoroughly, I took out the pads and pumped them to take the pistons out as far as possible. After cleaning everything thoroughly I realized that now the pistons wouldn't go back
So I took the callipers off and pushed the pistons back with much difficulty. On the left front callipers, two of the pistons fell out and loads of brake fluid came out of each of them. Somehow I managed to close the bloody things (don't ask me how I put in the pin and retainer on rear pads, I just did!)Now the rear feels ok but the front is all gone spongy. The reservoir is showing the same amount of oil as ever although I am sure that a lot of oil fell out. Which means that there is not a small bubble in the line but a whole balloon full of air in there. Will it settle down overnight or will I have to bleed the brakes tomorrow? Can just topping up the oil be enough. I have bought tubes with one-way valves. How long bleeding brakes takes? Somebody told me that the oil drips out slowly and can take whole night for the lines to be empty. Can I inject it out?

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
raz

the brakes need bleeding thoroughly

get some brake fluid cus your gonna need it to pump through the system to lose the air.

at 11,000 miles, its proberly needs it any way.

you dont rely on gravity, you pump the shit through with the lever untill all the bubbles and old fluid are out

full destruction here if you need it....let me know

[ 08-17-2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: dan uk ]

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to get hold of my mate but his phone is switched off. Will tell you the whereabouts of his brother's surgery as soon as I get hold of him. He will drive me to Swindon tomorrow to pick that high mount Yoshi RS3 system. I have to bleed the brakes and change oil etc. in morning then go to Swindon in afternoon and finish my MA thesis in night. All planned out

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
raz use the lever as dan said to force the fluid out,also the pipe you run from the bleed nipple to a container - keep the end immersed in brake fluid it reduces the chances of it sucking air back up into the system
when you pull the brake lever to force the fluid out always tighten the bleed nipple with the lever pulled back
dont forget to take the lid off your brake fluid reservoir (i usually throw a load of rags around the bottom of it in case i spill any when topping up

i changed the pads bled the whole system and put dot5.1 in and cleaned up the pistons - it took about 45 mins
good luck

ps.when you were trying to force the pistons back did you take the lid off the reservoir??

[ 08-17-2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: GIXXERUK ]

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I did that same thing once. Makes you feel like an idiot, huh?

Whenever doing brakes, only do one caliper at a time. That way when you do push the pistons back in you don't have the other caliper popping its pistons out!

You didn't mess anything up, but you will definently need to bleed them.

Also, Raz, can you reduce the size of your sig pic? We limit them to 175 pixels in height. Thanks!

[ 08-18-2002, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Ratman69 ]

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for your help. I bled the brakes and they are totally transformed. They work at the touch of two finges. The transformation is so complete that I am afraid of locking the wheels up as the rear has new pads too. Will have to get used to it.
Hey Rat, will reduce the size of this sig pic when i hook up my notebook as I don't know how to do this on Mac.
Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts