Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys!

I am Alex and I have a question for you -maybe you can help me since in my home town ( of Cluj Romania) there are no GSXRs 1000 from 2017 or newer.
I currently own a Honda Hornet but I would like to buy a 2018 GSXR1000-R . The 2 main /big problems I have seen online with this bike are : the jerky/itchy throttle and the brakes.

Regarding the jerky/itchy throttle response at low speeds -mostly when doing an off/on the gas is a common problem for this bike on all modes - even in B and C modes? I read somewhere that you can get rid of it by changing the voltage of the TPS or something like that - is this applicable to this bike -have you tried it?

I would really like to buy the bike but the having a machine that operates poorly at low speeds around town or which is jerky when off-on the gas would lead me to buy a smoother BMW S1000RR (of course an earlier model because of the price difference).

Can you please help me by providing some answers regarding the throttle response and if it is fixable or not ?

Thanks and wish you all a nice day!
Alex

·
Registered
172 Posts
Throttle response is like that because of the decel fuel shut off. Flash the ecu and removing this gets rid of the sensation when you go from no throttle input to some throttle input.

Not really a big deal. When I first got the bike I hated it, but it doesn’t bother me anymore just something you get used to. I wouldn’t consider it when I consider what bike to get, I would just get whatever you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Throttle response is like that because of the decel fuel shut off. Flash the ecu and removing this gets rid of the sensation when you go from no throttle input to some throttle input.

Not really a big deal. When I first got the bike I hated it, but it doesn’t bother me anymore just something you get used to. I wouldn’t consider it when I consider what bike to get, I would just get whatever you want.
Thanks for the answer! But didn't get it (maybe cause I am not a native English speaker :) ) - the ECU flash did solved the problem completely or it solved it partially and you just got used to it being like this ?

For me is a big deal - I rode motorcycles which had jerky throttle and ones which were super smooth and it is a very important aspect for me. Also I read from a guy from this forum that the bike is not liking to be driven at lower speeds -like in town when in traffic jam (it is all over the place , not smooth at all) . Is it that bad ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did not do anything to my bike personally, I just got used to it. Once you’re on the gas the bike is very smooth, the only jerkiness is from no throttle input to some throttle input.

·
Registered
2010 GSX-R 750
6 Posts
Thanks for the answer! But didn't get it (maybe cause I am not a native English speaker :) ) - the ECU flash did solved the problem completely or it just solved it partially and you just got used to it being like this ?

For me is a big deal - I drove motorcycles which had jerky throttle and ones which were super smooth and it is a very important aspect for me. Also I read from a guy from this forum that the bike is not liking to be driven at lower speeds -like in town when in traffic jam (it is all over the place , not smooth at all) . Is it that bad ?
I think what he’s saying is that an ECU flash solved his issue DFCO

for the most part I think fuel injected bikes just have this, where the throttle is pretty much an on/off direct for the fuel. i think the cheap solution here is to get better with the throttle and manually smooth out getting on and off the gas. i understand that won’t always be perfect and there will still be lurchiness/jerkiness. but on the flip side you could do the more expensive route of an ECU flash or a throttle tamer/new throttle tube, but even with that you'll still have some jerk if you're too abrupt with the throttle. it’s a part of all bikes especially the fuel injected ones but i wouldnt let it turn you off from getting the bike you want

if its any consolidation i rode a honda hornet 2006 before I got my 750 and the jerkiness on my 600 was a lot more abrupt than on my 750. either way ive just decided to get used to it. it’s a lot easier to manage if i feather the clutch and just ride in the friction zone during stop and go or traffic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My bike is butter smooth. Eliminate the "injectors off on decel" in the ECU via flashing. In addition, I have a complete exhaust on the bike and used the Woolich racing software to tune the bike. Eliminating the "Injectors off on decel" should eliminate 80% of the problem, however, I did everything at once, so this is speculation.

IMO, just getting used to it would not be acceptable. Most noticeable when in slow speed traffic which has you on and off the throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My bike is butter smooth. Eliminate the "injectors off on decel" in the ECU via flashing. In addition, I have a complete exhaust on the bike and used the Woolich racing software to tune the bike. Eliminating the "Injectors off on decel" should eliminate 80% of the problem, however, I did everything at once, so this is speculation.

IMO, just getting used to it would not be acceptable. Most noticeable when in slow speed traffic which has you on and off the throttle.
That is what I am thinking also - that is not acceptable at this level to have such 1980 behavior - if on some bikes the throttle can be smooth (talking only about injection ones) then the ones which have jerky throttle should invest more in the bikes - no excuses.
P.s I am very smooth with the throttle on my 2013 Hornet but still the response doesn't feel ok compared to the Kawa Z750 I tried for example which is buttery smooth.

Even if I like the Suzuki more I heard that the BMW S1000RR is very smooth and easy to drive around town also - from many people also Writsty (if you know the youtube channel MaxWrist) said when jumping from his BMW to his friends GSXR1000R :" WTF is going on with this bike? Why so itchy? " . The response was : "Wait to see the A mode" :)) .

I will investigate more - but if you say that the Eliminate the "injectors off on decel" in the ECU via flashing will solve the problem then I have an option . Thanks!

·
Registered
542 Posts
What? I have a stock 2017 and its the smoothest bike I've owned. A mode with TC off all the time. Throttle control is smooth and manageable.
If you find this bike itchy I'm suspecting an inexperienced rider. If you were talking mid 2000s gsxrs I would agree.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
If you are looking just to get around the city no sportbike is really ideal. If you want a sportbike for riding and you have to go through the city sometimes, the gsxr is good. If you want to do this without paying unnecessarily high prices for the bike, parts, service, and repair then the gsxr over bmw. If you like spending extra to have a bmw or ducati then go ahead. Hondas are pretty expensive too now! None of the above bikes were meant to plop along in the city streets. Maybe an fz06 would be better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What? I have a stock 2017 and its the smoothest bike I've owned. A mode with TC off all the time. Throttle control is smooth and manageable.
If you find this bike itchy I'm suspecting an inexperienced rider. If you were talking mid 2000s gsxrs I would agree.
I am not inexperienced - I am driving for 4 years now ,and I have throttle control . Also if many people are complaining about this, I tend to think that the problem was not invented by me :)
"Smoothest bike you've own" doesn't mean is not itchy. I guess it depends on what you are comparing against and how important is a smooth throttle response for you. For example I had a BMW 5 series and now I am driving a RR Evoque and the Evoque seems like a tractor from the POV of the throttle response but maybe for someone who comes from a Ford Focus the Evoque is a nice handling car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you are looking just to get around the city no sportbike is really ideal. If you want a sportbike for riding and you have to go through the city sometimes, the gsxr is good. If you want to do this without paying unnecessarily high prices for the bike, parts, service, and repair then the gsxr over bmw. If you like spending extra to have a bmw or ducati then go ahead. Hondas are pretty expensive too now! None of the above bikes were meant to plop along in the city streets. Maybe an fz06 would be better.
I was giving an example with the driving through city at low speeds. But going off/ on throttle happens also while taking turns while riding outside the city . (the bike will be driven mostly outside the city for short rides and sometimes in the city).

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am not inexperienced - I am driving for 4 years now ,and I have throttle control . Also if many people are complaining about this, I tend to think that the problem was not invented by me :)
"Smoothest bike you've own" doesn't mean is not itchy. I guess it depends on what you are comparing against and how important is a smooth throttle response for you. For example I had a BMW 5 series and now I am driving a RR Evoque and the Evoque seems like a tractor from the POV of the throttle response but maybe for someone who comes from a Ford Focus the Evoque is a nice handling car.
I'll admit I'm not in here all the time but this is the first thread I've seen about itchy new gen 1000s. 4 years on a honda hornet does not mean you are ready for a 200 hp rocket. It sounds like you are leery of the gsxr from something you read on the net.
Maybe you should consider something a little tamer like the 750 gsxr. You mentioned a bmw being smoother, why not buy one?
You make the ford to evoque comparison and that is exactly what you are doing with a hornet to gsxr move.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had no problem with b mode, felt like the sport mode on my s1000 which is probably the smoothest of all 1000s.

Brake hasn't been a issue for me at slower a group track day pace, I did replace the rubber brake line tho.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll admit I'm not in here all the time but this is the first thread I've seen about itchy new gen 1000s. 4 years on a honda hornet does not mean you are ready for a 200 hp rocket. It sounds like you are leery of the gsxr from something you read on the net.
Maybe you should consider something a little tamer like the 750 gsxr. You mentioned a bmw being smoother, why not buy one?
You make the ford to evoque comparison and that is exactly what you are doing with a hornet to gsxr move.
What has the difference of power between the bikes or my readiness for 200 HP do with the smoothness since is not me who reported the problem - I was just asking a fair question? In the BMW / Evoque comparison the BMW had 313 HP and the Evoque 245 HP still the BMW is the smoother one -it has to do with the build quality and attention to details.

I think is is very good to search before buying a bike, to see what are the potential problems. And I found this problem about itchy throttle :
  • here on the forum (a guy who just bought a new one complained about this behavior)
  • if you read only this thread you see that at least 2 people are agreeing about the behavior
  • 3 or 4 guys which I am watching on youtube (incuding MaxWrist), said the same thing.
So I think it is normal to have questions .
I do this online because in my town there is no GSXR 1000 after 2017 so I cannot just go to someone or to the non existing Dealership to drive one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Alex,

I recently went from a GSX-R 1000 2009 to L7 model. Have ridden most of GSX-Rs ( K4,6,8,9,L1, etc ) 600 / 750 / 1000 so I have some experience with these bikes.

1. Jerkiness
on 1000 k9 -> never felt like it`s an actual issue and I have driven the bike in the worst city of all : Bucharest.
L7 -> wanna ride slow speeds in town you have B / C mode, I don`t really think you`ll need all 200 ponies in Cluj.

Regarding the ECU flash : I have owned a k6 600 and had the ECU flash by TNG which included the deceleration fuel cut. The difference is there but it`s not major ( at least on the 600 )

If you end up buying the bike you can flash it in Bucharest.

2. Brakes
For street use it`s absolutely sufficient.
My K9 had Tokico calipers and were actually very good. I tested the brakes on MotorPark ( Adancata ) and did not really feel fading after a 20m session.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Alex,

I recently went from a GSX-R 1000 2009 to L7 model. Have ridden most of GSX-Rs ( K4,6,8,9,L1, etc ) 600 / 750 / 1000 so I have some experience with these bikes.

1. Jerkiness
on 1000 k9 -> never felt like it`s an actual issue and I have driven the bike in the worst city of all : Bucharest.
L7 -> wanna ride slow speeds in town you have B / C mode, I don`t really think you`ll need all 200 ponies in Cluj.

Regarding the ECU flash : I have owned a k6 600 and had the ECU flash by TNG which included the deceleration fuel cut. The difference is there but it`s not major ( at least on the 600 )

If you end up buying the bike you can flash it in Bucharest.

2. Brakes
For street use it`s absolutely sufficient.
My K9 had Tokico calipers and were actually very good. I tested the brakes on MotorPark ( Adancata ) and did not really feel fading after a 20m session.
Hello Mihai!
Thanks for the information!
Of course I don't want to ride always in A mode -just wanted to see if the problem of itchy/jerky throttle at low speeds and while off/on throttle can be solved somehow.
And after this thread I have some people telling me that B or C modes are helping with this. And if I will not be content with just changing the mode, I know now that there is the second option -the ECU flash .

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
542 Posts
What has the difference of power between the bikes or my readiness for 200 HP do with the smoothness since is not me who reported the problem - I was just asking a fair question? In the BMW / Evoque comparison the BMW had 313 HP and the Evoque 245 HP still the BMW is the smoother one -it has to do with the build quality and attention to details.

I think is is very good to search before buying a bike, to see what are the potential problems. And I found this problem about itchy throttle :
  • here on the forum (a guy who just bought a new one complained about this behavior)
  • if you read only this thread you see that at least 2 people are agreeing about the behavior
  • 3 or 4 guys which I am watching on youtube (incuding MaxWrist), said the same thing.
So I think it is normal to have questions .
I do this online because in my town there is no GSXR 1000 after 2017 so I cannot just go to someone or to the non existing Dealership to drive one.
That's fair. I have been giving you a hard time.
Like others have said, use C mode and TC on 10 at first. This will numb the bike down big time. You'll be fine.
It really is a wonderful motorcycle and will not disappoint. It is very sensitive to suspension settings and must be set firm for ultimate handling.
These engines are bullet proof. I know of 2 local S1000rr where the engines grenaded. One of them had only 7000kms. Then the stator blew up on the brand new replacement engine.
Keep in mind this is a gsxr forum and we are very protective of our beloved gsxrs. I hope you join us in owning these special machines.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati StreetFighter V4s; 2020 Suzuki GSX-R1000R; 2019 BMW R1250GS HP
43 Posts
I find it absolutely opposite of everyone else. To me the fuel cut in on/off throttle situations is worse in C, a little less in B and even less in A.
And Fuck TC at anything above 6. Even the slightest hint of wheelspin cuts the power noticeably.

I Have Ducatis, BMWs, Triumphs and the GSX-R in the garage and the GSX-R is the worst of all of them at on/off throttle transition, the BMW the best.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts