Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... just need some ideas.
Thing is I just scored a TIG welder and I can't wait to get her wired up and arcin and sparkin'.(who knows when) But I see a bunch of things that catch the eye's of those here and everybody wants one but they're one-off's or rare racing parts. Now I'm talking Aluminum, steel, or stainless parts.
For example Tuner#1 had a pic of a remote battery box on a week or two ago and people wanted to know where to get it. From my perspective, that box was a simple build and if I could reproduce a similar part of decent quality for less - would anyone be interested?
If so, are there any other goodies anyone has been pining for or think might be popular? Don't hold back.
Another thought was a simulated subframe to fit late-model plastics that would just bolt-up with holes in the right places for the bodywork.

Gimme some ideas, guys.

EDGECRUSHER

·
Registered
151 Posts
How bout a nice license plate bracket?like the ones that clip onto the swingarm..maybe a subframe adapter bracket so we could use the stock frame bolt-ups to use some yamaha and some new school gixxer subs...idk,i thought it sounded like a good idea..

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
yah, like what you said. the sub frame. see that question about once a month. or when Bobby shows off his "Bling". and i like the idea of a oil catch can. something along that line. how about this? can you do this? Check it out. Thanks UK lee

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
... just need some ideas.
Thing is I just scored a TIG welder and I can't wait to get her wired up and arcin and sparkin'.(who knows when) But I see a bunch of things that catch the eye's of those here and everybody wants one but they're one-off's or rare racing parts. Now I'm talking Aluminum, steel, or stainless parts.
For example Tuner#1 had a pic of a remote battery box on a week or two ago and people wanted to know where to get it. From my perspective, that box was a simple build and if I could reproduce a similar part of decent quality for less - would anyone be interested?
If so, are there any other goodies anyone has been pining for or think might be popular? Don't hold back.
Another thought was a simulated subframe to fit late-model plastics that would just bolt-up with holes in the right places for the bodywork.

Gimme some ideas, guys.

EDGECRUSHER
so it welds AC as well as DC currents.??
I need my frame welded but I am lacking a TIG machine

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to take so long but that's my way.
Dont think I can do anything that needs casting like those covers.
The subframe does sound like a weiner.
And yes I've thought about that liscence frame on the swing arm thing, thanx for reminding me.
Don't think you want someone who just got his first TIGger to weld your frame however.

I'm going to mull this over and take some notes till I get it set up to make some protos. It's going to take awhile, but keep me in mind if you get any more ideas, thanx again.

EDGE

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Sorry to take so long but that's my way.
Dont think I can do anything that needs casting like those covers.
The subframe does sound like a weiner.
And yes I've thought about that liscence frame on the swing arm thing, thanx for reminding me.
Don't think you want someone who just got his first TIGger to weld your frame however.

I'm going to mull this over and take some notes till I get it set up to make some protos. It's going to take awhile, but keep me in mind if you get any more ideas, thanx again.

EDGE
you mean you can,t runa tig bead.??
well i've been welding for years so just ask me anything.
make sure tou use green tipped tungsten. and 100% argon
for aluminum. also 2% thoriated tungsten keeps a tip better for a more direct arc vresus a wide spread arc. it doesn't mel;t as easy.....I could go on all day about TIG welding tips.
does it run AC current

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The battery box is a very easy construction,not so sure on practicality on street bike. It would be a popular question gatherer at your local hang out. Seems like a lot of people on this forum would eat up an aluminum oil seperator/breather tank. The oil cooled guy's are always talking about them. Even 317 would like one, I could use one myself now that R1 tail is in place. Its very narrow back in tail,not much room. I'm probably going to have to make it mount under flat area under fuel tank. Let me know when your ready & I'll give you dimension's & some coin.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the offer 777, I'll probably take you up on that. It's an older Lincoln Tig 300/300 watercooled w/ the stick option. I need to get a 240 plug wired out in my shop which is no big deal just trying to find the time. I believe it does go both AC or DC. I'm pretty damn good with a MIG so we'll see how well I TIG. I can't wait to get at it though.

Tuner, I'm not real sure what that oil seperator thingy bobby is maybe if you could show me a pic, I could figure it out.
EDGE

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ive always wanted to see if someone could develope a inner support brace around the front cowl to eliminate the extensive shaking of the front. Don't know if anyone else bike does it but ever since I put on the LP fairing stay it shakes the whole front, dosen't bother me too much but I bet its annoyihng to drivers at night seeing someones headlight bob up and down lol.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Thanks for the offer 777, I'll probably take you up on that. It's an older Lincoln Tig 300/300 watercooled w/ the stick option. I need to get a 240 plug wired out in my shop which is no big deal just trying to find the time. I believe it does go both AC or DC. I'm pretty damn good with a MIG so we'll see how well I TIG. I can't wait to get at it though.

Tuner, I'm not real sure what that oil seperator thingy bobby is maybe if you could show me a pic, I could figure it out.
EDGE
lincoln are pretty nice. but i'm the power of the blue guy. right now i'd take anything i'd get my hands on. just remember. clean,clean,clean when welding aluminum. alcohol, and new wire brush works the best. and use a high amount of high frequency to start the weld. is it foot pedal operated, thumb roll, or hot torch.?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts