Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been messing with the new bike I bought a week ago. Come to find out now, which answers a lot of my questions, my '89 GSXR 750 is actually an '89 1100 with a 750 motor. An 11/7, I guess.
Is this a bad thing, or just different? Anything I should watch out for?
Anybody here in California know what this will do to my insurance? The pink slip (clear title, by the way) has the engine number of the 750. Is my insurance company going to consider this an 1100, or will they know it's a 750 because of the engine number?
I'm just glad I got a sweet deal. I guess I gotta learn somehow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
motor is a motor.......its a 750 and your not lying in the least. Get the 750 insurance.....thats what i would do.......but then again i ride a dragpipe on the street so what the hell do i know

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
When I get my insurance updated I'll NOT be telling them I upped it from 750 to 907cc's...I may look stupid but...er, well, any way I'm not paying extra.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
as far as i know, insurance will consider it an 1100 since that's what the title says.....it doesn't matter what motor's in it. the frame vin also has the displacement encoded into it.

best bet would be to shop around for an insurance company that don't care about the displacement (there are some)...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sweet deal 7/11 nice combo .... As for insurance just tell them its a750 no big deal ... as long as the title says 750 go for it . Man i was looking high and low for an 1100 motor for my swap but everyone wanted an arm and a leg,,,,looks like you got the combo done already .... good job

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Ricks750:
Sweet deal 7/11 nice combo .... As for insurance just tell them its a750 no big deal ... as long as the title says 750 go for it . Man i was looking high and low for an 1100 motor for my swap but everyone wanted an arm and a leg,,,,looks like you got the combo done already .... good job
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no, he's got an 11/7.....a 750 motor in an 1100 frame, not the other way around....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there any specific problems with the combo that I have? Or is it just that it's a little heavier and it's a waste of a perfectly good 1100 frame? You think I should be calling the asshole I bought it from back?
I didn't know enough when I bought the bike. The work was done well and it looked stock.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
not anything major.....just a bit of extra weight, plus a longer wheelbase.

i seem to remember that the '89 1100 frame had an adjustable top shock mount? could be wrong, though....

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
Originally posted by Simon Orttan:
The only thing worse than a gixxer 11 with a 750 motor in it would be a Bandit 1200 with a 600 motor in it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">suzuki makes one.....it's called the bandit 600.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Originally posted by jeff:
not anything major.....just a bit of extra weight, plus a longer wheelbase.

i seem to remember that the '89 1100 frame had an adjustable top shock mount? could be wrong, though....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...nope, but I think the `89 is the shortest wheelbase of the 1100's...

I've never seen this on a gixxer before, but back in the early `90's, it wasn't uncommon to see a 600cc motor in a 1000cc chassis (FZR's) on an endurance grid... better seating position and more stable chassis = easier to go fast for long stretches of time... at least, that was the theory...

·
Registered
156 Posts
hahahah my bad ..you see how much i love the 7/11 comdo that just those numbers together get me all excited ...hhmmm 1100 frame with a 750 motor ...well now thats a new one on me...Well i would say get the 750 swingarm and slap that bad boy on and bam 750 ..hahhah sorry to hear though ...still its a gixxer .....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts