Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 GSXR 750
53 Posts
I don't know how pricing is in your country, but here in Canada, for about $700 more (12% more), you can get a Yamaha YZF-R3. I realize this is GSXR forum, but the R3 is significantly lighter, much better performance, and overall a better bike. Disclaimer: I own a R3.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agree on the R3. If I were 18 again or had children entering riding age I'd steer them toward the R3 for starters. Never ridden the baby GSXR but you can't go wrong with the Yamaha.

·
That’s Mister Chalet to you ....
8,897 Posts
I remember a buddy pulled into my place un-announced, to show-off his new ride (cbx 250). I got up from my chair to investigate why someone had plugged-in an air compressor outside. The rapid, soft putt-putt-putt-putt reminded me of that sound from when I used to be a roofer in the 80s lol.

That is all I have to contribute to the subject of 250s.

And yeah, that's the look that was surely on my face (above) as I sat at my desk trying to figure out what that sound was.

·
Registered
'19 GSX250R ABS Shad hard bags, Puig screen, Leo Vince can
3 Posts
'19 GSX250, 6500 miles here. 80 MPG. It ain't light with my 200 lbs on it, and I don't care. With a 16.5/75 quarter, it barely stays ahead of antsy Mom's minivan. With that soft stock front end, I'm glad I got ABS - I can feel it working every now and then even on good pavement. And at six feet, the hard edge of the plastic seatpan killed my tailbone; a few minutes with a stiff knife relieved that edge, and a few wedges from a garden kneepad's foam helps the squishy seat's general support.
It's an easygoing ride, and it does look good. I wouldn't recommend it for expressway duty, but it's a good up-to-60mph bike. If a basic streetbike is all you need (and there's a dealer near you - mine is 60 miles away), you should be happy with it. That's the point.
I suspect the Kaw or YZ or CB would keep any sportbike rider way happier. The GSX is really just a couch. I put hard bags on mine so I can haul a gallon of milk and some books or groceries. I ain't racin' anybody, but I'm smilin' on two wheels.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sadly, suzuki did not make the 250 gix a performer but it does have Suzuki's excellent build quality. Most models are built in Japan unlike Yamaha. My 2016 R3 had 5 recalls! Kawi's 300 ninja is a solid choice though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts