Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not a gixxer or even a suzuki, but I have decided that I want to go with a Ducati 620Sport. My local Ducati dealer has one in his showroom right now, its a matte silver full fairing, and he is asking $6995 on it.
I checked out MSF courses in my area, and there aren't any openings till early/mid march, so i think i'll wait a bit before I actually buy it. Right now, I have an insurance quote for about a grand with a $300 deductible. I'm going to see the difference with a $500 deductible, maybe it'll be a decent savings.
I am budgeting around a grand for gear (helmet, gloves, boots, textile/kevlar jacket, and some decent riding pants).
I know a lot of people suggest a "naked" bike to start on, but i can't ride the monster because of the tank, its just molded wrong for my legs, so i'll ride for a while without fairings and i'm going to get some frame sliders (damn gas tank's $1500
).
i am going to also figure in the price of a new exhaust and ecu with the price, i want to get something louder than stock to let drivers know i'm there.

i have also considered the added maintainence costs of a ducati, and spoken with my dealer about it quite a bit.

what does everyone think? i have to admit that it would take quite a bit to get me to change my mind on this bike, but i'll listen and consider anything and everything you suggest. thanks

[ 02-05-2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: sixstang ]

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
The new SV650 looks good and whilst I dont know much about US bike prices but its probably in the same range.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Dammed fine bike - and very sensible too

Congratulations....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well hell, if fraggle approves, it must be a good idea

i guess its just a matter of personal preference, but for the same price ducati vs suzuki i think i'd like to go ducati. i know the ducati isn't as powerful, and that doesn't really matter to me. yes the sv650s is a good looking bike, but it also wasn't very comfortable for me.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Not a bad choice, but I would get the Ducati Monster 620. It has the same engine and costs a little bit cheaper. Also the Monster is a better looking bike (in my opinion anyway..) and there are a shit load of mods for it. The big problem with all Ducatis is the cost of spare parts and maintenance. If you got the money no prob, but these bikes leave a big hole in the pocket.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My only problem with the monster is the gas tank. The moldings for your legs on the gas tank don't fit my legs, i'm 6'5" (1.95 meters) and i have to slide way back to get my legs up against the tank, and its not a comfortable riding position at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts