Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy in the hospital, I brought him some personal items and when I went to leave, the road is a two lane each way seperated by a double yellow. I was in the left lane, there was a car in the right lane, and an oncoming car in their left lane (double yellow side) the car in the right lane was doing a couple mph under the speed limit, I was going the speed limit passing him. As I get up next to him, my front tire is about even with his rear view mirror, he abruptly Changes lanes while simultaneously flicking on his blinker. There was like a milli second and this dude was all up in my personal bubble. I was at this point, shoulder to shoulder with the guy, in first gear. I didn't think I would be able to stop in time to not catch his rear wheel well so I rolled hard on the throttle, wheels between the double yellow, and for a split second was smack dab between this asshole, and the oncoming asshole that saw the whole thing unfold and never bothered to give me an inch. It was only for a fraction of a second but if you would have paused time,. I could have reached out and touched both driver windows with both hands from where I was sitting. I almost pooped a little. I don't much care for being that close to inconsiderate assholes who aren't paying a lick of attention. Fortunately Im not a panicky person. The whole thing seemed to slow down, my initial jump from the guy trying to side wipe me put me on top of the opposite yellow line, I was able to correct and get both wheels between both lines while heavy in the throttle and make it through. At the next stop light, the after effects of the adrenaline started to kick in my body was light and tingly and a large breath of relief escaped me. Glad the paramedics didn't have to scrape me up off the concrete. And charge me $600.00 to litterally take me across the street to the ER.

FUCK.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Good thing you were paying attention:thumbup

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Riding beside any cage in a two lane freaks me out. I usually pass fully or trail behind. Blind spots are a bad place to linger so I usually pass everyone :lol:

Seriously though, if it weren't for constantly watching every single car and predicting their stupidity I'd have been run over at least three times this summer. I know that little adrenaline bump.. got a nice one a few weeks ago when a deer jumped in front of me on a ~50mph corner while I was leaned in. Always leave a wide margin of error but that one was pretty close, I'm pretty sure the deer was laughing it up with his buddies after they saw my face.

Glad you didn't get mowed down man! Stay vigilant!

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah, so some people here know, I wrecked a bike like, a year ago tomorrow in an interestion. Dude pulls a quick left but not until I'm in the middle of the intersection. Smoked his ass. Shattered my girls leg, and destroyed my 4 years running project bike that was pretty much a ground up build. Needless to say, intersections make me timid. I never hang out in blind spots and I do my best to move out of them as fast as possible but rolling up to this intersection, green light, no turn only lane, the guy facing me was making me nervous to roll on the throttle a little bit, I was making my way passed the guy by probably 5-10 mph faster than him as was my intention. I would have faster but accelerating into a dangerous intersection really Puckers me up. I was extra alert and as I try to expect the worst all the time, was anticipating an ignorant move. Even then, see it coming or not, when it DOES happen, that "shit just got real" twist in the gut and instinct taking over sucks. I'm a pretty analytical thinker so as soon as his tire crossed my line I'm weighing my options. I've seen similar maneuvers from other riders in similar situations and as much as I didn't wanna go between them and risk catching a mirror to the arm, it seemed more likely to accelerate out that it didn't to slam on brakes and risk losing traction and bouncing between the two.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,391 Posts
........ I was going the speed limit passing him...........
This story is bullshit already :flipoff

I know your pain though. I was on I-70 in downtown Indianapolis. 4 lanes wide. I was in #2 and there was a semi in #1 and another in #3. The car ahead of me cleared the front bumper of the semi on the right. Then he thought it was clear to come over. For about 5 seconds, I was on the dotted white line between 2 semis.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seriously dude, I'll admit to speeding every time. I have a fast bike, it happens. I'll take my tounge lashing by those who don't agree with it. I didn't buys a gsxr to go the speed limit all the time. But that doesn't mean I NEVER go the speed limit. If I was speeding this this story would either not exist, or be "I rear-ended some asshole that cut me off". Lol

Ugh. That sucks balls. I hate being near semis on the bike. The swaying makes me a bit nervous but I trust my skill to dodge a sloppy trailer. What scares me is the WHEELS. You ever see one of them fuckers pop going down the road? Whew, gives me chills just thinking about catching 40 lbs of hot rubber to the face.

I've seen nasty videos of guys splitting semis and getting fucked. Bad. I couldn't imagine being in that situation. Glad you made it out alive brother.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Yup...experienced this myself years ago.

Was on a 55 mph road, 1 lane in each direction. Driver pulled onto the road at 10 mph, with no room to spare the car in front of me. Car in front of me locked up his breaks, I locked up mine. Pulled onto the double yellow with an oncoming car coming at 55 mph. BOTH of my mirrors got pushed in from the cars I drove between.

Followed the car that pulled onto the road until traffic stopped, and confronted them. Turns out it was an 80 year old lady.

Scary stuff.

·
Super Moderator
14,962 Posts
Yeah be careful out there. While I'm a huge advocate of lane splitting EVERYWHERE I don't do it at traffic speeds. I only do it when the traffic is stopped or barely moving at all to avoid any eminent danger and make my way to a given stop light.

As far as the semis go, just pass them and be done with them. If there isn't enough room to safely pass or if you'd risk recklessly breaking the speed limit, stay behind preferably in a different lane in case one of those tires actually does blow. The same advice goes for any vehicle (pick-up, van, etc.) that might be carrying stuff in the bed or on the roof. Lastly the same advice goes for any vehicle pulling a trailer large or small (landscapers, construction workers etc.) that could potentially drop an unwanted obstacle in your path of travel.

I'm pretty sure @TheGeek was just fucking with you regarding the speeding part. Ride on man. :cheers

·
13,391 Posts
I'm pretty sure @TheGeek was just fucking with you regarding the speeding part. Ride on man. :cheers
I figured he'd been around long enough. Back from my college days of working the bicycle shop and racing we had a term "JRA" that we'd use in work orders. It stood for Just Riding Along.... We threw it in when we knew the owner was full of shit. "I was just riding along and this broke...." Um no, you backed into it with your car.... I think there are two equivalent statements here:

1) I was going the speed limit.
2) Gravel

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol "JRA" I might just use that one day. I got a couple buddies that are full of shit. Not the best riders, and not mechanically inclined. When things break they're always like, I dunno, It just *insert whatever happened*, I didn't do anything to it, or. Differently, it just started acting up." I'm like, yeahhh uh huh well that's peculiar. Then laugh at them. Lol

·
13,391 Posts
No joke. A guy brought in a pretty high end mountain bike and complained his fork didn't have full travel and was making a rattling sound. I found a "Tool Shop" brand (menard's generic I think) 10mm deepwall socket in the bottom of his fork. I don't doubt the factory could have done this, but I highly doubt they're using this generic BS.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have a buddy in the hospital, I brought him some personal items and when I went to leave, the road is a two lane each way seperated by a double yellow. I was in the left lane, there was a car in the right lane, and an oncoming car in their left lane (double yellow side) the car in the right lane was doing a couple mph under the speed limit, I was going the speed limit passing him. As I get up next to him, my front tire is about even with his rear view mirror, he abruptly Changes lanes while simultaneously flicking on his blinker. There was like a milli second and this dude was all up in my personal bubble. I was at this point, shoulder to shoulder with the guy, in first gear. I didn't think I would be able to stop in time to not catch his rear wheel well so I rolled hard on the throttle, wheels between the double yellow, and for a split second was smack dab between this asshole, and the oncoming asshole that saw the whole thing unfold and never bothered to give me an inch. It was only for a fraction of a second but if you would have paused time,. I could have reached out and touched both driver windows with both hands from where I was sitting. I almost pooped a little. I don't much care for being that close to inconsiderate assholes who aren't paying a lick of attention. Fortunately Im not a panicky person. The whole thing seemed to slow down, my initial jump from the guy trying to side wipe me put me on top of the opposite yellow line, I was able to correct and get both wheels between both lines while heavy in the throttle and make it through. At the next stop light, the after effects of the adrenaline started to kick in my body was light and tingly and a large breath of relief escaped me. Glad the paramedics didn't have to scrape me up off the concrete. And charge me $600.00 to litterally take me across the street to the ER.

FUCK.
Well done for making the right decision and avoiding getting wiped out - glad you are okay:)

First rule of motorcycling, never, ever linger along side other vehicles, ride along side the gaps and accelerate quickly between them.

·
That’s Mister Chalet To You ....
7,744 Posts
My two bits:
You called the two drivers assholes but with all due respect, that situation was 'your fault' (bear with me).

When riding a bike (motorized or not), I learned back in the 80s to always assume that no one sees me, despite my best efforts to never linger in anyone's blind spot.

Cars wipe each other out all the time so people cannot be counted on to check their mirrors, much less look over their shoulder AT ALL.

So back to my above assessment, if that happened to me, I'd blame myself because after dodging so many bullets over the years (IE I should know better... and I do), I would kick myself for ever putting myself in a spot where there was no escape avenue.

Glad it worked out though :thumbup Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My two bits:
You called the two drivers assholes but with all due respect, that situation was 'your fault' (bear with me).

When riding a bike (motorized or not), I learned back in the 80s to always assume that no one sees me, despite my best efforts to never linger in anyone's blind spot.

Cars wipe each other out all the time so people cannot be counted on to check their mirrors, much less look over their shoulder AT ALL.

So back to my above assessment, if that happened to me, I'd blame myself because after dodging so many bullets over the years (IE I should know better... and I do), I would kick myself for ever putting myself in a spot where there was no escape avenue.

Basically the same point I was making. Usually lane changes like this generally aren't serious problem if you are alert as it's quite rare for two cars to get that close to each other that you couldn't split them. The more scary one is if the driver makes an unexpected left turn from the right hand lane - it's usually an indication that something odd is going on when they show brake lights for no obvious reason....

·
Registered
182 Posts
My two bits:

I agree and would like to add a further dynamic that I ALWAYS! take into account, that is, WHAT FUCKING NATIONALITY DOES THE DRIVER(s) APPEAR TO BE, in the vehicle(s) you are near.

BECAUSE:-

1) drivers wearing FACE MASKS will just fucking point and shoot illegally crossing over, doing u-turns, pulling out of driveways with NO blinker, NO head checks, never giving way, NO hesitation AND WILL just kill you by running your ass over.

2) those that are RELATED males to those wearing fucking face masks will do the fucking same.

3) those drivers that use chop sticks will POLITELY FUCKING KILL YOU because they CAN'T DRIVE!!!! They DON'T understand road rules at all.

The above precautions have ONLY been relevant in Australian since our immigration mix fucking changed in the eighties, now we are paying for it, big time.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm not one to avoid responsibility for my actions, when I pulled out of the parking lot, I was immediately in a position I didn't feel completely comfortable. The car I pulled out behind was going 5(ish) under, normally I would just pass him, but having been into an accident last year, left turners make me nervous. My choices were pass the guy, and risk hitting a left turner not paying me attention, or worse, take a hit by a left turner and get sandwiched to the guy next to me. Hindsight is 20/20 and instead of passing the guy cautiously and slowly because of other drivers, I probably should have just taken a deep breath and gave everybody their room until we got passed the light. They're still assholes. All drivers are assholes. Well, MOST drivers are assholes, and they only smart thing (in my opinion) is to treat all drivers like they are texting, eating, and getting road head at the same time. Like I said, at the end of the day yah I suppose I could have made a different choice, but at the time, what I did seem like the best option.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts