Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 90 750 chassie with a 1216 motor in it with all of the go fast goodies I can think of, it's puttin out 170 at the wheel and it will run 9'60s all day long with a 200lbs rider on it but thoes damm 1000's on the street are killing me , I get the jump but they just motor by? What is up with that? Do I sell her and get one or do I spray the piss out of it? Mabie then I will go low 9's at the track but my old trusty iron needs some respect on the street!

[ 05-31-2002, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Old Iron ]

·
Bearded Admin call him Grizzly
88,756 Posts
don't you just love that i know it puts a smile on my face when im passing other bikes
basically you got to look at the power to weight ratio 1000 is lighter than the 1990 750 chasis you got the power but you need to get the weight down switch to lighter parts etc. on my bike im pushing 3.1 pounds for every 1 horsepower with me on it

[ 05-31-2002, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: mpdgsxr1000 ]

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
He's right. Suzuki was packing the weight on in 90 so its time for a diet. Get rid of that weight.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Diet, whenever my beast is done she will be about 430lbs wet....
with more motor than a 'busa
-Karl

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Jenny Craig from hell worked good. I got mine down to 325 in full race trim (no starter or alternator and A 10 cell batery pack for battery. The front tire would not stay on the ground until I put the heavier 91 forks/wheels on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I get the point about weight but I am still 50lbs lighter than a busa so where do I start shaving lbs? you guys should know this bike has a 6 over arm and it is on the ground so where do I go from here? Wheels, Carbon body work (if they make it)I need it to be streetable and I can get my hands on a 1340 but it is too hot around here for those big ole pistons so I think I will just put a 50-75 shot of spray

·
Registered
360 Posts
Button is a good news / bad news deal. I never had problems with the motor but when you start using enough to be fun in fifth you loop in 2nd or third. Off / full blast at the drags maybe, but on the street it is cool for showing off but will most likely make you parinoid and or slower.I heard there is a company that started making a supercharger again (not the old s&r), But that kind of power is much more controlable.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If you are talking straight drags, the only thing I could suggest is to find an 1100 swingarm that would fit and bolt it in. In your case, the extra wheelbase will make the launches easier than with a short wheelbase, lightweight bike. This is why guys are able to beat R1/GSXR1000 type bikes at the strip with a VMAX - their launch/lower gear shit has the advantage. Now if you are talking rollons, forget it. That 1000 is still at the top of the heap for a reason.

Now mpd, just show some respect for your elders (and heaviers
)..and enjoy that fine machine.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Originally posted by Old Iron:
I've got a 90 750 chassie with a 1216 motor in it with all of the go fast goodies I can think of, it's puttin out 170 at the wheel and it will run 9'60s all day long with a 200lbs rider on it but thoes damm 1000's on the street are killing me , I get the jump but they just motor by? What is up with that? Do I sell her and get one or do I spray the piss out of it? Mabie then I will go low 9's at the track but my old trusty iron needs some respect on the street!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">why don't you go to a 1277 and you will still be streetable and will kick the dog snot out of just about anything on the street if you are a good rider...you should not be having a problem if you are truly making 170 to the rear wheel with a 1216...

dwayne

·
Registered
108 Posts
Have you ever thought about a turbo? Makes BIG power and there should be someone out there that can help you on it. just watch out for the lag if you nail it in a turn

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I allready have a 6 over arm and I had thought about a turbo but for the oil pumpers they don't seem to be as reliable on the street,this winter I think I will go with bigger pistons,but once again heat is a factor. I think a 1255 would be best so I don't have to carve up my cases, as far as loosing weight I could lose a few lbs that would be cheeper in the long run

·
Registered
978 Posts
go with the 1255 trust me

i have it and it kicks the shit out of almost
all the bikes i go racing with [ie]busa-1000-12r
and so on make sure you have a sweet head on her
or the pistons will do you no good

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
As far as making the bike lighter, pull off every peice of non essential crap, don't ride 2 up, ditch the grab bar and passenger pegs, pull off that god awful steel liscence plate and turnsignal bracket, fab one out of some sheet metal, sharkskinz race body work, piaa lights, the possibilities are endless...
-Karl

·
88,756 Posts
Originally posted by bcjohn:

Now mpd, just show some respect for your elders (and heaviers
)..and enjoy that fine machine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ohh im enjoying the ride and i ride with a 48 year old guy on a bandit 1200 that keeps up side by side full throttle for 3 gears before i start to pull away of course the bandit is bored 2mm over to 1216 increased compression gsxr1100 cams and port and polished head and valve job so i have every respect for my elders and the heavier bikes lol heres his dyno graph that he emailed me of his all gear run check out the torque that bandit is making

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went as far a to make a licence plate out of that reflective tape and sticky #'s. Looked good and the judge said that talk to the state about making standard (ticket dropped)...

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
The torque # on that dyno chart is bogus.He would need at least a 1600cc stroker making 260 hp to get that #.A 1216 is making around 85-90lbs.and THATS IT! Anyway,Old Iron,I had the same problem with my 89.,It was the fastest thing around with the 1216 before the R1's and ZX9's came out.And then the 'Busa sealed it's fate on the street,160rwhp on pump gas and could sit in traffic all day and not overheat.So I put a 1371 and did a 31/27 head on the '89 w/ mild cams and was making close to 190 at the rear wheel.Didn't run hot and still held its own.But.Top end the new 1000's&Hayabusa's were right there.Aerodynamics played a BIG part in that.The 89/90 front end is relatively flat and that sucks for slicing thru the wind at super high speeds.By the time you get done spending all of that money to hang with these bikes,you would have a nice down payment on one.Don't get me wrong,I LOVE MY 89 and all aoc GSXR's,but I was in your position and after all was said an done,190rwhp on the 89 and everything,I bought a 'Bus and love it too.A 1397 kit w/ cams and I'm making 210rwhp.On pump gas.In the summer traffic without overheating.My "R" could only DREAM of doing that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I will let the cat out of the bag (good or bad) I am running a Katana block that obviously will need a Gsxr crank, but I have 12.5 JE pistons, Cam Motion cams G18,G21 and a BIG dollar head all epoxied up with 26-30 valves and it's a 88 750 head, so that is where I am gettin the big HP #'S from. I have tooo much money invested in this thing to go to a busa or a 1000 because it looks as good as it runs. Everting in chrome except the frame, the wheels were chrome but I candy powder coated over the to make them a blue chrome, it even has all new plastic

·
88,756 Posts
Originally posted by oldgixxer:
[QB]The torque # on that dyno chart is bogus.He would need at least a 1600cc stroker making 260 hp to get that #.A 1216 is making around 85-90lbs.and THATS IT! QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ok you believe what ever you want i was there when he dynoed his bike saw it myself bandits 1200s are geared low for torque in the first two gears and on his fourth gear rollon he had 110 ftlbs

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.