Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the search is down I can't find anything. and I've already soaked my rims with aircraft paint remover (they're sitting as I type. I just wanna know exactly what steps to take next...

The paint remover is kindof patchy in it's removal too and seems to be working better on the front rim than the rear... and better on the lips than the spokes.
Any tips in using this crap?!?!?

so if you know a link then please gimme

[ 11-24-2001: Message edited by: God ]</p>

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Ok, I did just the lips, and not the spokes, but let the stuff soak a bit, sometimes it takes a little while, but for me the rear rim bubbled up MUCH better than the front. But once you get as much paint off as possible, use like 200 grit sandpaper to get the rest of the paint off. Then get it smoother with 600 or so grit, and even smoother with fine steel wool. After that, appy mother's mag and aluminum polish and walah!-shiny rims

Lemme know if you have any more questions

-Spooner

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
OH and make sure you shake the can well as you use it, seemed to make a difference to me, but it can take a few applications to get it all off, but make sure your place is well ventilated-THAT SHIT IS TOXIC!! lol, i got a little on my skin a few times and it burns like a mofo! Have fun

-Spooner

·
Registered
657 Posts
To get the paint off the spoke are pick up hand brush with nylon bristles. Leave the stripper on this area alittle longer than the rest and then scrub it with the brush. It worked very well when I did mine. Also for the best shine polish the lips with a dremel and your favorite metal polish. It takes a little while but the results are stunning.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Jmanney ]

·
Registered
602 Posts
After the 600 grit sand paper. use a green scrubbing pad (from the kitchen man) and start to apply the mothers with that. do that a few times. The scotchbrite pad will start to lose its "grit" and start sanding finer everytime you apply the mothers. You will know when it is time to switch to a plain terry cloth towel to apply the mothers. I have a pic of my Buell and all of the shiny stuff on it is hand polished....

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have a 1985 Toyota Celica GT with the stock Celica wheels, I went to the wrecking yard and bought 5 rims from a Toyota Supra, they are sorta dirty, but I used lots of Simple Green to clean them. The rims are not polished, they are that dull aluminum finish with a 'fading' clear coat. Should I use the same teqnique for polishing these also?
Thanks.

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
Most people I talk to don't try to polish the spokes because they are all ruff and they don't like how it looks/ You have to get the spokes smooth before they are going to shine like the lips. A lot of sanding to get those bumps out.

Yeah you can do the wheels (car) like that also. I know a lot of Ricans (no disrepect) that do their Toyota rims. I used to have some on my 81 Corolla.

·
Registered
516 Posts
your lips will be fairly easy to polish,because they are smooth.I would sand the 400,600,800,then 1200.Throw a buffing wheel in a drill.Use "jewelers rouge" compound.THen put on your sunglasses.Fore warning though.Keeping the clean is a major mofo!!!

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Spooner:
but make sure your place is well ventilated-THAT SHIT IS TOXIC!! lol, i got a little on my skin a few times and it burns like a mofo! Have fun
<hr></blockquote>

WHoa... I knew that shit was toxix... but it didn't smell bad so I worked with it...
What a fucking headrush

Wow... I'm gonna open the garage door now

and ya... that stuff burns too...hehe

thanks for the tips there guys... keep em coming. I want my rims to look super shiny!

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: silent750 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts