Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up guys to maybe slow it down. Almost had the get off of get offs.

I had the tank camera rigged up and went for this bridge loop by my house. A bit of knee draggin' and car swerving top speed craziness. Near the end of the run I crested the bridge topped out at 299kmh and to my horror there was a two lane changer coming right at my lane.

It was the Kobayashi Maru, the no-win scenarion. Thought I was a goner. Felt ok about it knowing that it wouldn't hurt.... weird sensation. I kept her pinned and went between the barrier and the car. I must have lifted off a bit but never stabbed the brakes. Smoked the mirror at almost full chat and had a serious wiggle for a second and the bike settled down right away.

Horrified to look over at my missing arm I was amazed to find it still there. The carbon knuckles torn back like a soup can lid flapping in the wind. Pretty serious gouge in the knuckles and massive swelling immediately. Kept going and just left, contemplating a trip to the hospital. My house was on the way and I decided to pit stop at home and check for broken bones. Luckily none. Went to see if i caught it al on film and of course the batteries gave out way before I had hit the car. Probably for the best.

I took out a mirror at 299 and lived. Not a mark on the bike. It was millmetres. Was at a funeral todal for my bud that lowsided a Ducati from his shop into a truck and it hit me. Slow down. In the straights and in the turns. Reel it back in and respect the power of my K5. The power to corrupt better judgement.

I love my K5, I don't want to hate what it does to me. Check the self control fellow gixxer owners.

The poor bastard I smoked must be just cleaning up the seat by now....

·
Registered
654 Posts
A few millimeters from a "RIP" post
Sounds like you are in need of some tracktime, or a new hobby

Now is definitely a good time to reflect on this one- glad you were still around to tell the story

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Glad for you Cosworth. I'm one of the guys here who would seriously miss your posts, if anything bad had happened. Good advice for all GSXR 1000 owners as well.

Take it easy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I wonder when the "squid" comments will start coming...
Hell I'll start...Don't be a dumbass. Go to the track if you wanna do idiotic things so you don't endanger everyone else out there (like kids).

·
Registered
149 Posts
im glad you're alright cosworth but c'mon man, speeds like that into a blind situation!?
(he said he crested the bridge which inferred lack of visibility) i routinely get my shit over 150 mph but i rarely to never go a speed that i can't brake to 0 by the point where my visibility ends. (sorry if that doesn' tmake sense but its a rule i live by and its saved my ass a few times)

ive made some real fuck ups. i should be dead a few times over but thank god i got lucky and thank got i learned from each of the things. sounds like it's the same for you and that's rad

·
GSX-R Enthusiast
2,546 Posts
Just a heads up guys to maybe slow it down. Almost had the get off of get offs.

I had the tank camera rigged up and went for this bridge loop by my house. A bit of knee draggin' and car swerving top speed craziness. Near the end of the run I crested the bridge topped out at 299kmh and to my horror there was a two lane changer coming right at my lane.

It was the Kobayashi Maru, the no-win scenarion. Thought I was a goner. Felt ok about it knowing that it wouldn't hurt.... weird sensation. I kept her pinned and went between the barrier and the car. I must have lifted off a bit but never stabbed the brakes. Smoked the mirror at almost full chat and had a serious wiggle for a second and the bike settled down right away.

Horrified to look over at my missing arm I was amazed to find it still there. The carbon knuckles torn back like a soup can lid flapping in the wind. Pretty serious gouge in the knuckles and massive swelling immediately. Kept going and just left, contemplating a trip to the hospital. My house was on the way and I decided to pit stop at home and check for broken bones. Luckily none. Went to see if i caught it al on film and of course the batteries gave out way before I had hit the car. Probably for the best.

I took out a mirror at 299 and lived. Not a mark on the bike. It was millmetres. Was at a funeral todal for my bud that lowsided a Ducati from his shop into a truck and it hit me. Slow down. In the straights and in the turns. Reel it back in and respect the power of my K5. The power to corrupt better judgement.

I love my K5, I don't want to hate what it does to me. Check the self control fellow gixxer owners.

The poor bastard I smoked must be just cleaning up the seat by now....
Wow!!! Sounds intense. You must have some room to play to take such risks. Are you on the Isle of Man? Where is the video?

·
Registered
493 Posts
wow -

why not just do it blind-fold

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You'd have to see this bridge. It's massive. Not a car around, and wide as hell. I didn't see the car going up the bridge. I actually wondered if it was stopped or stalled just over the crest then they started it up and then crossed over to the other side (4 lanes).

Yep, dumb, why do you think I posted it? So when you cut loose think about where you do it.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
They come up on you fucking fast at that speed. I was in the middle of nowhere on my K4 at that speed and I a car appeared. Lucky for me there wasn`t a car on the other side of the road. That scared the crap out of me but I couldn`t imagine actually touching something at that speed. Somebody is looking after you dude.

·
Registered
493 Posts
over here in england, farmers let their sheep roam loose
i hit a sheep at 40 mph once

it broke my fairing

i stopped turned around ran after the sheep and booted its a arse more than once

fast runners are sheep

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
299 is about Mach .248, or 83.3 metres per second. Look at the speedo and you've done a football field.

I'll be taking it easy for some time as my wrist heals. Maybe I'll get video of the same loop but a little slower next time. Is there a smiley for "sheepish"?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
The view from the passengers seat of that car must've been insane. I wonder at what speed they were moving at.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The view from the passengers seat of that car must've been insane. I wonder at what speed they were moving at.
Most people are doing 90-100 kmh over that. So about 60mph. It's a freeway bridge.

Probably a 200 kmh difference.

Must have been insane with an exploding mirror and a bike shooting past in the 3 1/2 feet between car and barrier. Wish I could apologize.

·
Highly unstable
32,025 Posts
damn man that is intense for sure.. that is just crazy speed. glad you made it out alive. i know ive been up there on the streets myself before, but it really is no place to ride like that.. take it to the track bro.. get on the track and you will learn so much more about why the street isnt the place to play.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I said, been to the track. Lots. Track is fun but I love street. I don't ride in the city much. For us it's mostly mountain rides.

People get hurt at the track too. It's not safe, just "safer".

1 - 20 of 45 Posts